Expansion draft and league-wide wheeling and dealing

Brawndo

Patrick Kane is 29 and on the most expensive contract in the league.

Elite talent, but the price isn't going to be as high as his stature deserves.

Exactly. He's making 13 and 12 the next two seasons before his salary drops a bit for the close of the deal. Chicago absolutely needs cap space --- but there's no need to sell the farm for him. Chicago can demand all they want, they're not clearing 13 million just on one team. They're taking a contract/someone to insert into the lineup and keep contending for a Cup, and 2 others (pick and young talent).

For example: Kane for Kane + 8 + Nylander or Reinhart (never both). At the most. I'd even push for that 8 to be our highest second. Taking PKane and 13/12M means no defensive upgrade and losing Reinhart next season. We'd be paying O'Reilly, Eichel, and PKane's more than Pittsburgh pays Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel.

Exactly. He's making 13 and 12 the next two seasons before his salary drops a bit for the close of the deal. Chicago absolutely needs cap space --- but there's no need to sell the farm for him. Chicago can demand all they want, they're not clearing 13 million just on one team. They're taking a contract/someone to insert into the lineup and keep contending for a Cup, and 2 others (pick and young talent).

For example: Kane for Kane + 8 + Nylander or Reinhart (never both). At the most. I'd even push for that 8 to be our highest second. Taking PKane and 13/12M means no defensive upgrade and losing Reinhart next season. We'd be paying O'Reilly, Eichel, and PKane's more than Pittsburgh pays Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel.

Why would we lose Reinhart next season?

Why would we lose Reinhart next season?

After next season when Reinhart and Eichel get to the next contract. Or we're trading O'Reilly or maybe Okposo if he waives his no movement clause.

Hypothetically in 19/20 we'd pay O'Reilly 8.5, Eichel ... what 8+? 9+?, Okposo 6, and PKane 9.8. That's half your cap hit in only 4 forwards. That's where the Blackhawks are now, and...they're over the cap.

At that point, I think we've got to move Reinhart if he's going to make 5M (which, I'd think he'd hit 50 points if he plays top 6 and PP and has Patrick Kane or Eichel as a linemate). I'd ask for that much if I'm his agent.

Salary paid and cap hit aren't the same. I'm hopeful Eichel would come in under $7M

Ach! Make me do more research....  by cap hit:

P Kane 10.5

O'Reilly 7.5

Okposo 6

Eichel (Tarasenko is the youngest/most recent and is at 7.5). So... maybe 7? Likely 7.5 or more if Eichel averages 1 ppg next year.

And let's say the cap hovers around 75M (and will until another team joins the league... so maybe for 19/20 Seattle is in and we're up to 80M)

OK, gotta get back to work....

After next season when Reinhart and Eichel get to the next contract. Or we're trading O'Reilly or maybe Okposo if he waives his no movement clause.

Hypothetically in 19/20 we'd pay O'Reilly 8.5, Eichel ... what 8+? 9+?, Okposo 6, and PKane 9.8. That's half your cap hit in only 4 forwards. That's where the Blackhawks are now, and...they're over the cap.

At that point, I think we've got to move Reinhart if he's going to make 5M (which, I'd think he'd hit 50 points if he plays top 6 and PP and has Patrick Kane or Eichel as a linemate). I'd ask for that much if I'm his agent.

I have no idea where these numbers are coming from. ROR makes 7.5 against the cap. Eichel will probably be around 6-7 if he is signed this July (every comparable player makes less then that and McDavid doesn't count). Okposo does make 6. Kane at 9.8mil is not freaking happening. If that is 9 or 8mil that is not freaking happening. He might get 6.5. Reinhart at 5mil might be a touch high. I would say if he signs this July you get him for around 4.5mil. 

7.5+6.5+6+4.5+ lets say 6.5 for Kane. That is 31 million or 41% of this seasons cap for 5 players. That isn't to crazy for a core group of forwards. 

On defense you have 5.4mil for Risto, McCabe at 1.6, and Bogosian at 5.14 (these are guys with contracts through 2018). That is about 16% of the cap. Granted you can give McCabe a raise from 1.6 to 4.25 after this season so let's say that happens. That's about 20% of the cap. So that means 61% of the cap would be tied up in 8 players. Seems about how normal teams operate. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Hearing a lot of rumblings that a Drouin/Galchenyuk swap is coming...I'm no tradebreaker, so take it for what it's worth.

again, nothing definitive, but sounds like the Habs would be packaging a first with Galchenyuk in the deal.

From Conor McKenna TSN 690 Morning Host

From McKenzie

For those asking, NHL trade/waiver freeze and signing moratorium runs from 3 pm ET Sat. June 17 until 8 am ET Thur June 22. EXCEPT...

...Beginning 10 am ET on Sun June 18, VGK can make deals with other clubs tho those 30 clubs can only make deals with VGK until freeze ends.

Edited by BRAWNDO

I know I'm in the minority on Drouin, but I don't think he will be any better than Galchenyuk.

Smacks of a French hero move by the Habs.

From the other side, good value for TB, but it hardly addresses their cap crunch or their need for a DMan.

Now if they flip Gally for Vatanen...

I know I'm in the minority on Drouin, but I don't think he will be any better than Galchenyuk.

Smacks of a French hero move by the Habs.

From the other side, good value for TB, but it hardly addresses their cap crunch or their need for a DMan.

Now if they flip Gally for Vatanen...

I was thinking it sets them up nicely to move Johnson for a Dman, assuming Yzerman sees Galchenyuk as a center.

Galchenyuck and a late first seems like a good trade for Tampa.

Agreed.

Galchenyuck and a late first seems like a good trade for Tampa.

Yup. This trade at least on paper seems reasonable for both sides. Montreal probably loses on it a bit due to how much they've devalued Galchenyuk.

I'm worried that's the kinda thing Reinhart is headed for.

Edited by Thorny

The Habs make out better here. Drouin has more moves than a pail of worms. A much more dynamic player and giving up Gal and a late 1st isn't a steal but the Habs come out ahead especially since they have more RFA years.

The Habs make out better here. Drouin has more moves than a pail of worms. A much more dynamic player and giving up Gal and a late 1st isn't a steal but the Habs come out ahead especially since they have more RFA years.

It could hinge on where Galchenyuk ends up playing. He's a natural centre, and the Habs weren't using him there. If he can fill a centre role for Tampa, it could swing the deal in their favour, as centres are so much more valuable than wingers.

Good point. I don't watch them enough but was he not being used at center for a reason? The D resposibilities of a C in his own zone are almost like a D man (in most systems). Lots of centers get converted to wingers once they make the NHL.

I'd love to have Drouin on the Jets but the asking price would probably be too high.

Good point. I don't watch them enough but was he not being used at center for a reason? The D resposibilities of a C in his own zone are almost like a D man (in most systems). Lots of centers get converted to wingers once they make the NHL.

I'd love to have Drouin on the Jets but the asking price would probably be too high.

Ya I didn't see enough of the Habs to be sure, either. Probably D-related as you alluded to.

Drouin is certainly more purely talented.

Who's Winnipeg drafting? Any thoughts?

Unless they're taking back salary, and biting 20%, I say no thanks.  Patrick Kane is a fabulous player, but he's had nothing but bad run in's in Buffalo.  So let's bring him home.  Pass.  The assets and re-working of the roster it would take is a tragedy if you add Kane.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.