Expansion draft and league-wide wheeling and dealing

Brawndo

I like Drouin [ducks]

But Montreal's center depth is going to be what, Plekanec-Danault-Shaw-Mitchell? And their best two defensemen are a combined 157 years old. 

IDK what they're doing.

Exactly. How the hell do they not put Galchenyuck at center, but instead go out and get Drouin?? I'm genuinely amazed Bergevin has a job

Did they say that yesterday on the radio? Because I also thought that is who they got in the trade 

That was the original rumor speculation, but it turned out wrong

I like Drouin [ducks]

But Montreal's center depth is going to be what, Plekanec-Danault-Shaw-Mitchell? And their best two defensemen are a combined 157 years old. 

IDK what they're doing.

They're doing what they've been doing for several years now, and what the Sabres did between 98-02. Tossing an average at best team in front of an all-world goalie and hoping for the best. We all saw what happened when Price went down the season before last. It's what they are and have been (and likely will be until Price declines or moves somehow).

I think the Sabres brass thought there was a good chance Nylander could be Drouin - I.e. a soft, skilled 50-60 point winger.

If that's what they believe, then the Drouin trade cements the fact that Nylander was worth more than Sergachev. ????

Lawyered

Per Craig Custance

Sounds like smaller trade going down between Flyers and Coyotes.

Per Le Brun

Believe Coyotes acquired Nick Cousins from Flyers

Brendan Warren and a 5th round pick.  Clears up a hurdle for them on their roster.  See Vecchioni, 2nd overall (insert name) and a few others on the fringe.  

Bergevin should already be fired. It's amazing what that moron has gotten away with over there

Strange how certain GM's keep their job...Jim Benning has really been bad for Vancouver yet still there...meanwhile all quiet on he Western front (or more to the point the NHL front)

yeah I think deals have been already quietly made between teams and Vegas whereby they (Vegas) does not touch players and they get draft picks in return. No way teams are going to lose good young players for nothing in a expansion draft. 

Edited by Sabre fan

yeah I think deals have been already quietly made between teams and Vegas whereby they (Vegas) does not touch players and they get draft picks in return. No way teams are going to lose good young players for nothing in a expansion draft.

Unfortunately, this is what we are seeing. Doesn't look like anything good will be going their way except for picks. However, they were in the driver's seat and this is the road they chose. Snooze.

Has to be a lot of activity in the next 3 hours, otherwise teams are going to lose very valuable pieces for nothing to LV. Unless there are a lot of side deals with LV unannounced, which is very possible

They're not supposed to announce those deals until next week I thought?

I'm surprised more teams haven't made trades with each other (not LV) yet but there are still a couple hours for that.

I'm guessing if there's any substantial trade action, it'll happen between Sunday and Wednesday, as Vegas can still make trades with teams during those days. And clubs will be aware of non-protected lists starting Sunday, potentially helping to facilitate the process.

@SunGarrioch
Led to believe Cody Ceci has been informed he will be protected. That means either Phaneuf or Methot could be on the move. #Sens (re-tweeted by Dreger)

@DarrenDreger
Doubt anything "big" happens with the Isles today, but Snow is in a number of conversations, hoping to land a top 6 forward. Team to watch.

@DarrenDreger
Doesn't sound like there is progress being made as Nashville tries to encourage Vegas from locking on to a player the Preds want to keep.

@FriedgeHNIC
Word is Tobias Enstrom has done WIN a huge favour, agreed to waive his NMC to help the Jets with the expansion draft.

@FriedgeHNIC
Because of protection issues, word is FLA's Jonathan Marchessault is potentially available. 30 goals, great contract.

@FriedgeHNIC
ANA has put Simon Despres on waivers to be bought out

@FriedgeHNIC
Im not sure of everything involved here, but hearing CAL and ARIZ are working on a Mike Smith deal

Who is CAL?
Edited by WildCard

https://twitter.com/tsnbobmckenzie/status/876129149903097856

Brodin not likely to be moved.

They've been talking up these guys getting dealt for months, and nothing is materializing. That'll learn me, that will. Hockey speculation on Twitter is even more often Fake News these days. See: Tocchet being Sabres coaching favourite.

Prices are to high. A 3/4 defender isn't worth a top 6 forward plus picks and prospects.Mike Smith getting traded Arizona and LA working on deal

Agreed. I think GMs looking to deal D are trying to allow trades like the Hall and Drouin ones to set the precedent, and other teams are hesitant to join that club.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.