Expansion draft and league-wide wheeling and dealing

Brawndo

There is no way P Kane moves. That being said Bowman is smart and realizes that the window to win another cup with his existing core is closing if it hasn't closed by now. Moving Kane and his salary for a package of assets is something he has to at least consider.

38 year old Marian Hossa with 4 years left on his contract????  We already have Matt Moulson thanks.

Edit:  Cap hit of $5,275,000 is crazy for a guy nearing 40.

Not for us. For Vegas. 

Per Le Brun Bill Daly told a conference call of the GMs not to release the details of any trade deals made with Vegas until the conclusion of the expansion draft

The NHL annoys me. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Not for us. For Vegas. 

The NHL annoys me

Actually I think this was a request from Vegas.  Listening to a beat report on the way home yesterday and he said it would benefit McPhee to keep his mouth shut on trades until atleast after the protection lists have been submitted.  If it's leaked that Vegas agrees not to touch an Anaheim Dman but will take forward instead it may change other teams lists as they now know Vegas will be in even more need to take a Dman.  If it's leaked a D will be taken then the opposite is true.  Not likely to substantially change any lists but from a Vegas perspective it would be best to keep all side deals quiet until after. 

Edited by Derrico

Actually I think this was a request from Vegas.  Listening to a beat report on the way home yesterday and he said it would benefit McPhee to keep his mouth shut on trades until atleast after the protection lists have been submitted.  If it's leaked that Vegas agrees not to touch an Anaheim Dman but will take forward instead it may change other teams lists as they now know Vegas will be in even more need to take a Dman.  If it's leaked a D will be taken then the opposite is true.  Not likely to substantially change any lists but from a Vegas perspective it would be best to keep all side deals quiet until after. 

Even if not leaked to the public, I'm sure most of the GMs will be well aware of most of it.

Even if not leaked to the public, I'm sure most of the GMs will be well aware of most of it.

I'm sure they will have an idea.  But if I'm Vegas I would rather keep that info as confidential as possible until after those lists are submitted.  If I paid $500 mil just to buy the club the least the NHL could do is try to enforce it as much as possible i.e. not have guys like McKenzie reporting on it.  The NHL is really dumb if they just took it upon themselves to keep it quiet just for the sake of it.  I have to think it was a request coming from Vegas.

I'm sure they will have an idea.  But if I'm Vegas I would rather keep that info as confidential as possible until after those lists are submitted.  If I paid $500 mil just to buy the club the least the NHL could do is try to enforce it as much as possible i.e. not have guys like McKenzie reporting on it.  The NHL is really dumb if they just took it upon themselves to keep it quiet just for the sake of it.  I have to think it was a request coming from Vegas.

but those lists are submitted tomorrow or Friday correct?

but those lists are submitted tomorrow or Friday correct?

I thought I read somewhere it was sat evening.

11th: Game 6 (earliest date Finals could be over)

14th: Game 7 (if necessary)

15th: First buyout period begins

16th: Last chance to place players on waivers

17th 5p ET: Deadline to submit protected lists and trade freeze begins

18th 10a ET: Protected lists released leagewide; start of Vegas' FA signing window

20th:  Adidas Hockey Sabres jersey reveal

21st 10a ET: Vegas' FA signing(and drafting) period ends

21st 8p ET: Picks announced at NHL Awards Show (8pm ET)

22nd: Trade freeze lifted

23rd: Entry Draft

So you've covered Vegas, but that still leaves 30 other GMs out there that don't care about the expansion fee.

Since we're in this wookie-like trade zone: would you rather Samson + #8 for Kane or Ovechkin? Go!

Samson + #8 overall just isn't going to get it done, not even close.   Throw in Nylander and Guhle...  maybe.    Kane is a slam dunk hall of famer in prime....  Reinhart + 8th overall in a weak draft?!  ahaahahaha

Samson + #8 overall just isn't going to get it done, not even close.   Throw in Nylander and Guhle...  maybe.    Kane is a slam dunk hall of famer in prime....  Reinhart + 8th overall in a weak draft?!  ahaahahaha

This is not a weak draft. 

However I think you are correct and #8 and Reinhart is not enough. 

Per Le Brun Bill Daly told a conference call of the GMs not to release the details of any trade deals made with Vegas until the conclusion of the expansion draft

This muddies the waters.   How can other GMs negotiate deals if they don't know who's in play and who's not wrt to expansion?    Let's say someone approaches JBOT about E. Kane, and JBOT inquires about player X in return, but player X has already been promised to Vegas... then what?    I don't see how the league can prevent these details from leaking.

So you've covered Vegas, but that still leaves 30 other GMs out there that don't care about the expansion fee.

Isn't it still an old boys club?  That's partly why we rarely see RFA offer sheets.  If Vegas makes the request and Bill Daily contacts each GM to inform them this is the leagues stance then I bet every team complies. 

Since we're in this wookie-like trade zone: would you rather Samson + #8 for Kane or Ovechkin? Go!

Buffalo's giving up way too much for that to be a wookie offer.

Isn't it still an old boys club?  That's partly why we rarely see RFA offer sheets.  If Vegas makes the request and Bill Daily contacts each GM to inform them this is the leagues stance then I bet every team complies. 

They won't leak it to the public, but they'll take to each other privately.  So the press might not know it if Daly's order is followed, but the teams will.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.