Jason Botterill: Hired as New Sabres GM

LGR4GM

I want my gm to set expectations from the beginning and then hold everyone accountable, not give pep talks or change rules mid season.

When did the Sabres win their first 10?  2006?  I'd show the highlights of those games, then tell the team that I fully expect them to duplicate that.  Easing into the season is not an option, they're going to take the league by storm.

Ahhhh.... to remember the innocence of Zemgus the Destroyer....

My heart has been hardened. Prove it is the new motto.

When did the Sabres win their first 10? 2006? I'd show the highlights of those games, then tell the team that I fully expect them to duplicate that. Easing into the season is not an option, they're going to take the league by storm.

I'd hang a picture of that team on the wall, and say when you get this good, you're halfway there.

I would imagine that it would be hard to find someone who doesn't like Steve Miller Band.

Sure, I'll play. I find that band's music generally ... unobjectionable. But I can't say I like it. The songs tend to be pretty heavy on repetition (like, way moreso than others of their ilk). I also think it's the sort of music that benefits (and has benefited) greatly from people becoming fans because they listened to it while high. In other words, I don't think it much stands on its own as interesting music.

Aerosmith... definitely overrated.  2-3 decent albums and then alot of shlock.  Nothing innovative at all either.  Floyd? Cream? Metallica? Solid bands, with super talent.  Not always my cup of tea, but serious talent.  Nirvana?  Never had the chance to see what their chops were made of. Dead too soon.  If Grohl was going to become the lead creative guy for the band they would have been interesting to follow.  Not sure Cobain had the chops on guitar to keep up.  Who knew back then that the band's best guitar player was playing drums.

Steve Miller Band?  What, are you high?  :P

Ahhhh.... to remember the innocence of Zemgus the Destroyer....

Obviously not.

Sure, I'll play. I find that band's music generally ... unobjectionable. But I can't say I like it. The songs tend to be pretty heavy on repetition (like, way moreso than others of their ilk). I also think it's the sort of music that benefits (and has benefited) greatly from people becoming fans because they listened to it while high. In other words, I don't think it much stands on its own as interesting music.

You said it yourself, generally unobjectable. It is the Coors light of misic; no one loves it, but no one hates it either.

You said it yourself, generally unobjectable. It is the Coors light of misic; no one loves it, but no one hates it either.

Not objecting to something isn't the same as liking it. I certainly don't like Coors Light, but I can drink it if that's all there is. It's a bit of damning with faint praise.

Not objecting to something isn't the same as liking it. I certainly don't like Coors Light, but I can drink it if that's all there is. It's a bit of damning with faint praise.

When hosting a social event, it's safe to serve it. Just as playing SMB, hence everyone "likes" it.

So what kind of thinking does this guy lean towards? How's his AHL team constructed? He seems more of the cap guy, does he have an eye for talent then at least? Has Tochett changed, or does Botterill's ringing endorsement of Byslma from 2011 indicate he really is just crappy at picking coaches? Then again, he did pick Mike Sullivan. 

Edited by WildCard

Generally being the key word. Because the same guy that did Living in the U.S.A. & Fly Like an Eagle also did Abracadabra. :thumbdown:

It doesn't mean much in the end, but if anyone feels bad, click this link and read how sad Penguins fans are to lose the guy: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=2345763

They are also all over Twitter saying how it was a great move by the Sabres. I'm very happy with this decision. Not sure if I like the idea of Tocchet as HC though.

Hahahaha.

Okay - no road trips for you and me.

:lol:

They are also all over Twitter saying how it was a great move by the Sabres. I'm very happy with this decision. Not sure if I like the idea of Tocchet as HC though.

Is that a done deal or still speculation @ this point?

Most of the previous two pages of posts are why I avoid posting links.

(I don't post GIFs because I am old and don't know how)

In a semi-related note: I think the fact that the two favourite bands of NS are so diametrically opposed in British music culture, yet so awesome.

I tried to post a gif. The most awesome JBOT gif ever posted. But I too am too old to know how this interwebs works. So it ended up being a text string and no one saw its level of intended awe.

Development at the AHL being such a key part of The Botterill Doctrine, this guy better get some serious time. Relax, Terry. Actually, I think Terry will give it to him, this being, very arguably, his first actual general manager hire as owner. The fans? Maybe not so much. But we've got a ways to go, folks. The smell of the old core, the tank and GMTM all are very much still wafting over the franchise.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.