The Russ Brandon - Buffalo Sabres Thread

LGR4GM

Brandon was at a press conference today to announce the creation of the John Labatt House, next door to the arena: 

C-WEkjrVwAAzaG6.jpg-large.jpg

I'm light on facts, but I gather that it's a venture whereby Labatt USA will be able to do some small batch craft stuff.

I have my problems and concerns with the Pegulas as owners. And with Brandon's role and influence.

But it ain't all bad - that's for sure.

Article on the Labatt House HQ move. 

https://www.buffalorising.com/2017/04/john-labatt-project-comes-to-former-hi-temp-building/

Also, is there any doubt that with PSE's investment in the cobblestone district that the new Bills stadium will go downtown in Cobblestone/Perry Projects area?  :flirt:

Russ Brandon has an indefensible record as a sports executive in Buffalo.

In over two decades of his involvement with these franchises (16+ with Bills, 4 with Sabres) the teams have not made the playoffs.

His name should be in the Thesaurus as a synonym for LOSING.

The fact he is still employed, let alone with expanded responsibilities is an absolute joke.

Why he is defended ad nauseam on this and other boards is baffling.

The sooner both these franchises move on from him the better

I forget where I read it, but I believe currently it's not possible to revive the Iroquois trademark in NYS. Someone owned it for a while but now it's abandoned and I don't think it can be re-appropriated because of its Native American content. 

I'm not so sure that's the case. If you Google a bit, you'll see ongoing activity on the part of someone from the area who's working to get the trademark renewed.

I'm not so sure that's the case. If you Google a bit, you'll see ongoing activity on the part of someone from the area who's working to get the trademark renewed.

I don't think they can do it though. Again, I forget where I read it, but I went down the rabbit hole on this a while back and I believe Iroquois beer is well and truly dead.

That's not worth hating.

That it's Labbatt's Blue on the other hand....

Labatt is fine for what it is.  I still drink it by the gallon when I'm in WNY.  It tastes like home; heck, I've been drinking it since I was 14. 

You can get it down here, for $10 a six.  Nope.

We'll see. It's active on the USPTO register right now.

I mean, it'd be great if someone could accomplish the revival. But I have a hard time seeing it as a craft beer operation. The ideal solution would be for Labatt USA to undertake it. Now...hear me out on how this works...

Labatt USA is owned by North American Breweries (NAB) out of Rochester which is in turn owned by Florida Ice and Farm Company out of Costa Rica. NAB makes Genny (and others) and is the US distributor for Labatt's. Labatt's is brewed in Cananda but cannot be distributed here because Labatt's Canada is owned by Anheuser-InBev. 

So...what you could do is approach NAB/Labatt USA and say: Listen, you already have Genesee and Labatt's and they exist just fine alongside each other and you make money either way. Why not revive the Iroquois brand in Buffalo and open a standalone brewery there?

The economics of scale that are required to get the raw materials at a cheap enough price to make Iroquois competitive against Labatt/Genesee/Bud/MolsonCoors means that a big company has to do all the leg work to get the brand off the ground. I could see Iroquois playing the role of Genesee without cannibalizing NAB's profits from Labatts/Genny that badly. If anything they take business away from MolsonCoors/AnheuserInBev. 

:wacko:

okay, I can't help but ask who this guy is and why he wasn't fired? Is he like a yes-man for the Pegula's or something? I have no ideas where he came from but it seems to me he should have gone with the other two...I thought we were suppose to be doing this right and looking for a President and/or GM but if Brandon is already then I take it we are not looking for a new President. i was hoping we were going to do it right this time (should have known better)

I mean, it'd be great if someone could accomplish the revival. But I have a hard time seeing it as a craft beer operation. The ideal solution would be for Labatt USA to undertake it. Now...hear me out on how this works...

Labatt USA is owned by North American Breweries (NAB) out of Rochester which is in turn owned by Florida Ice and Farm Company out of Costa Rica. NAB makes Genny (and others) and is the US distributor for Labatt's. Labatt's is brewed in Cananda but cannot be distributed here because Labatt's Canada is owned by Anheuser-InBev. 

So...what you could do is approach NAB/Labatt USA and say: Listen, you already have Genesee and Labatt's and they exist just fine alongside each other and you make money either way. Why not revive the Iroquois brand in Buffalo and open a standalone brewery there?

The economics of scale that are required to get the raw materials at a cheap enough price to make Iroquois competitive against Labatt/Genesee/Bud/MolsonCoors means that a big company has to do all the leg work to get the brand off the ground. I could see Iroquois playing the role of Genesee without cannibalizing NAB's profits from Labatts/Genny that badly. If anything they take business away from MolsonCoors/AnheuserInBev. 

:wacko:

Now you're talking. 

• 7 months later...

@BuffNewsVogl If photos were allowed in the locker room, I think I could have broken the internet tonight:

Russ Brandon was sitting with Jack Eichel for a one-on-one chat.

"But he's just the president of the business side."- Schopp and the Bulldog

@BuffNewsVogl If photos were allowed in the locker room, I think I could have broken the internet tonight:

Russ Brandon was sitting with Jack Eichel for a one-on-one chat.

I don't know about the rest of you but I certainly feel better knowing that Russ Brandon is on the case. Smooth sailing ahead guys.

Jesus effing Christ on a gubdamn popsicle stick. GODDAMMIT.

With the venting done, I know that my feelings and position haven’t changed: The local teams won’t truly get sorted out until he’s gone.

There may be success while his involvement persists, but it will be in spite of him.

He is the worst sort of toady. The worst.

Jesus effing Christ on a gubdamn popsicle stick. GODDAMMIT.

With the venting done, I know that my feelings and position haven’t changed: The local teams won’t truly get sorted out until he’s gone.

There may be success while his involvement persists, but it will be in spite of him.

He is the worst sort of toady. The worst.

Russ is what's wrong with Dad? Purposely mixing up the MTWTFSS med tray?

Even if the reason for the chat was business (Hey, Jack, about that BBG idea...) or personal (Jack, no big deal if you don't want to, but can I take your game-worn jock home?), this is a terrible look and shouldn't be allowed. And if it's Brandon meddling in the team, well, good night, lights out. We're screwed.

"But he's just the president of the business side."- Schopp and the Bulldog

Schopp, Bulldog, and me.

Here's the quote from Harrington today:  "Eichel and team president Russ Brandon were seen emerging to sit and have a private chat at Eichel's locker."

http://buffalonews.com/2017/12/01/mike-harrington-no-end-in-sight-for-this-embarrassment/

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that wasn't about marketing.  

freeman was right; Brandon is involved in aspects other than business.

He's a nice guy, but he must go.  (Brandon, not freeman.)

I was just ranting about this in another topic (Worst Team Evah!?)  before I saw this, or I would have confined my Russ Brandon thoughts to this topic alone.

Ok, all those Russ Brandon apologists out there - keep telling us how he ISN'T involved in either football or hockey operations?  Please, chime in here with his "Well, he's done a great job marketing and that's all he does."   

I mean, he WAS acting GM for the Bills for what,  2 seasons, and his fingerprints were all over the on-field and roster failures in the Bills organization of the past decade +.   Who was Rex Ryan's biggest pre-hire booster in the front office?  uh-huh!!!!

Now Pegula gives him all this stroke and influence in the hockey product?    Unbelievable!!!!    Regier's iconic 'suffering' could be just starting with no sign it will ever end!!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.