The Russ Brandon - Buffalo Sabres Thread

LGR4GM

This is the President of the corporation, letting his $80 million investment know that the eyes of the hockey world will see his every move, hear his every word, interpret his every mood over the next four weeks leading up to the winter classic.

Any other interpretation is pure......,,,

Ooooooh, just came up w/ a reason for Brandon to be talking to Eichel after the game in the locker room that could satisfy both the Brandon detractors AND PtR. He knew the NHL's cameras were on for the Road to the WC video & wanted his 5 seconds in the spotlight on the show. He'd already booked the appearance when he'd thought the Sabres would win the game & just didn't have the heart to disappoint all his fellow SJF alums from being able to see his smiling face. :lol:

Rats. Didn't see TW's reply when this was put together. :censored:

This in keeping with what PA said. I can buy it.

Still didn't think it needed to be done in the locker room.

His nickname forever more would be The Ginger Whisperer.

There are hockey presidents and there are business presidents. We've been led to believe that Russ is the latter. I wouldn't have expected Ted Black to talk to a star player.

Might be wrong but I believe Mr.Black did speak to players. In any case this whole thread is because of an obsession with Brandon by some fans. Edited by Radar

Might be wrong but I believe Mr.Black did speak to players. In any case this whole thread is because of an obsession with Brandon by some fans.

Would a president of a company that made widgets that was performing as badly as the Sabres and Bills be given a free pass?

Would a president of a company that made widgets that was performing as badly as the Sabres and Bills be given a free pass?

Swamp, what free pass. You saw a guy talking with someone and you're using it as an occasion to spread tabloid type speculation. I don't care about Brandon one way or another. As another poster said,I think, slow news day. Is tomorrow let's get on Pegula day? Let's talk about hockey,players,coaches and GM'S. I think that's more relevant right now.

Edited by Radar

Swamp, what free pass. You saw a guy talking with someone and you're using it as an occasion to spread tabloid type speculation. I don't care about Brandon one way or another. As another poster said,I think, slow news day. Is tomorrow let's get on Pegula?

Yes. That's all it was.

C'mon.

This is the President of the corporation, letting his $80 million investment know that the eyes of the hockey world will see his every move, hear his every word, interpret his every mood over the next four weeks leading up to the winter classic.

I think it’s naive to think there are doors in any organization that don’t open. I’m head of sales. I talk to finance every day. Maintenance, too. Senior people do it more than me. They stroll around.

Most managers “head” something. Heading something, leading something, overseeing something, etc. doesn’t mean you don’t walk around, inquire, and give opinion elsewhere. The appropriate boss listens and makes his/her decisions. “Thanks!” This is a far cry from Russ making hockey decisions.

I wonder if we’d complain if JBot were seen in Russ’s office. “Hey, I thought JBot was HOCKEY Operations!”

They’re a team. It’d be weird if someone said “stay out of my office.”

Can Russ talk to a player in the hallway? Must he avert his eyes? Perhaps there’s a guard that segregates Ops and Biz.

We might all want them to be better, but I’ll take them talking and visiting over them being segregated and cloistered any day.

Now, cameras make some suspicious of the timing. I have no knowledge, or comment, there. But I’m not upset. Slow news day.

In the locker room after a game?  Again, I have a tough time believing this was about marketing.

He had me fooled until this morning.

C'mon. Give us something a little more substantive and from a source who's agenda isn't to trash someone. I think you're obsessed with the guy.

Obsessed?

K

I just think it's weird for a president to be talking to a player in a locker room right after a game. Especially supposedly non hockey guy president.

How unfortunate is it that all the extra Winter Classic documentary attention had to come in this train wreck of a season...

Edited by Thorny

It wasn’t about marketing. He is allowed to talk about other things. I’ll bet he’s allowed to talk about whatever he wants, like my boss.

Your boss might be qualified to talk about other things.  I don't know.  Brandon isn't qualified to talk about hockey.

Your boss might be qualified to talk about other things. I don't know. Brandon isn't qualified to talk about hockey.

He’s 100 percent concerned about image and his own self promotion. He is infinitely qualified to discuss image with Eichel.

I just don’t get the anti Brandon spin. He is the one Buffalo sports and entertainment executive who has been successful in his field. He is largely responsible for the Bills being in Buffalo. He may be an arrogant pain in the ass but I have no doubt he will be on short list of candidates when either the MLB, the NHL or the NFL is looking for a new commissioner.

He’s 100 percent concerned about image and his own self promotion. He is infinitely qualified to discuss image with Eichel.

I just don’t get the anti Brandon spin. He is the one Buffalo sports and entertainment executive who has been successful in his field. He is largely responsible for the Bills being in Buffalo. He may be an arrogant pain in the ass but I have no doubt he will be on short list of candidates when either the MLB, the NHL or the NFL is looking for a new commissioner.

You're assuming he was discussing image.  The setting and timing aren't congruent with that.

Like I've said everywhere else in the thread, he had me believing that he was strictly business and not involved in hockey, but I'm not willing to believe that anymore.

You're assuming he was discussing image.  The setting and timing aren't congruent with that.

Like I've said everywhere else in the thread, he had me believing that he was strictly business and not involved in hockey, but I'm not willing to believe that anymore.

The winter classic cameras complicate things.

You're assuming he was discussing image. The setting and timing aren't congruent with that.

My assumption based on their defined roles. Your assumption based on a special malady known to infect Buffalo sports fans.

In all seriousness, who knows although that conversation could show up on the partial access show.

BTW, I think you still owe me lunch or st least a drink.

It would be like the head of the accounting department coming down to the factory floor to talk to a line worker about...what, exactly? It doesn't make any sense.

Jack is like a line worker?

He’s more like the limited edition prestige luxury sports car the firm is planning the next five year marketing campaign around.

There can’t be many things about the Sabres that interest the head of business operations more than Jack Eichel.

The winter classic cameras complicate things.

Possibly.  Couldn't have been handled in a different time / place?

My assumption based on their defined roles. Your assumption based on a special malady known to infect Buffalo sports fans.

In all seriousness, who knows although that conversation could show up on the partial access show.

BTW, I think you still owe me lunch or st least a drink.

I very well may!  Drop me a line.

Jack is like a line worker?

He’s more like the limited edition prestige luxury sports car the firm is planning the next five year marketing campaign around.

There can’t be many things about the Sabres that interest the head of business operations more than Jack Eichel.

This is fair too; again, there's a time and a place.

Jack, everyone but you is for sale.

Could it have been RB's job to convey that message to Eichel? Better that message come from the business man, as a business decision, rather than from JBot or Howie (certainly not Howie, he has more important/immediate issues to deal with)…… Jack, it's just part of the business of running a hockey team.

So what do we have here? Eichel signs a huge contract, has an uneven but statistically OK start, then falls into a slump. His body language is terrible. When he came onto the ice for the third period, he was ignoring the fans along the rope line and even turned away from them with an apparent disgusted look on his face. Did he diss the wrong VIP's kid maybe, and it got to Brandon? Was Brandon reminding Eichel he's under a microscope (The Webster Theory)? Or was he trying to buck him up? Did anyone else notice Ristolainen in the third period last night skate halfway across the ice to compliment Jack on the nice pass he had just made to him (it was easy reading lips that time)? (And it really wasn't that impressive a pass.) Jack might be at a really low point and everyone is trying to pull him out of the trench.

Edited by PASabreFan

What makes you think it was about hockey

As I've said elsewhere, the time and  the place make me think it was about hockey.  If it was about football tickets (Harrington insinuated that on Twitter) or a Got Milk sponsorship or a visit to Children's Hospital, why then and there?

As I've said elsewhere, the time and the place make me think it was about hockey. If it was about football tickets (Harrington insinuated that on Twitter) or a Got Milk sponsorship or a visit to Children's Hospital, why then and there?

Maybe RB wasn't talking hockey or even really not give two squirts about how Jack came across. Maybe he just saw the WC cameras and wanted some face time for himself in the show. "Hey, look at me!"

(This is way more fun than talking about the actual hockey being played right now.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.