The Russ Brandon - Buffalo Sabres Thread

LGR4GM

Now that it's a thing, I have to believe the Sabres will issue some kind of clarification on what was going on. It'll be an innocent explanation, of course.

Don't be so sure.  This could be a Pegula stay quiet and fire him in four weeks moment.

Now that it's a thing, I have to believe the Sabres will issue some kind of clarification on what was going on. It'll be an innocent explanation, of course.

I'm sure they were just swapping holiday recipes. Or maybe bible passages or something. Russ wouldn't try to interject into hockey matters would he?

Sure he has a baseball background and he did a stint as a football GM. He's obviously just a well rounded jack of all trades like that guy in the white house who can do it all, Jared Kushner.

Hahaha -  I never saw that episode - had Jeets himself in a guest appearance!    Why can I now visualize Brandon skating around in practice whacking pucks into the empty net and stating with a self-promotional, self satisfied tone..   "Yup, played a little pond hockey with the neighborhood kids back in 6th grade.... scoring is easy, boys - and you got it or you don't!  Nothing to this NHL stuff"  

I really don't care what Russ Brandon does. He could sit naked in the lockerrooms of each team pregame stroking his "ego" onto each player as they leave. I don't own the team. Not my business. If it bothers you that much, don't go to the freaking games, or watch them, or post about them. The Pegulas put him where he is, blame them. He's simply doing what is being asked of him.

I was just ranting about this in another topic (Worst Team Evah!?)  before I saw this, or I would have confined my Russ Brandon thoughts to this topic alone.

Ok, all those Russ Brandon apologists out there - keep telling us how he ISN'T involved in either football or hockey operations?  Please, chime in here with his "Well, he's done a great job marketing and that's all he does."   

I mean, he WAS acting GM for the Bills for what,  2 seasons, and his fingerprints were all over the on-field and roster failures in the Bills organization of the past decade +.   Who was Rex Ryan's biggest pre-hire booster in the front office?  uh-huh!!!!

Now Pegula gives him all this stroke and influence in the hockey product?    Unbelievable!!!!    Regier's iconic 'suffering' could be just starting with no sign it will ever end!!!!

So, does this mean you're leaving us or do you just enjoy tabloid sports talk?

Russ Brandon citing ... yawn.

I hear he has his own parking space.

If I have any conclusion about Brandon talking to Eichel it’s the following.

If a talk puts Eichel’s performance in jeopardy, the problem is probably Jack.

Maybe Russ wanted to remind Jack that the cameras are rolling when the team leaves the lockerroom. But why do it with the media around? Is Russ a troll? I don't see him at the meetings.

I want to connect this to the Bogo Stream. Maybe this is bigger than all of us are imagining.

Maybe Russ wanted to remind Jack that the cameras are rolling when the team leaves the lockerroom. But why do it with the media around? Is Russ a troll? I don't see him at the meetings.

I want to connect this to the Bogo Stream. Maybe this is bigger than all of us are imagining.

That is literally the only reason I would find acceptable for him to be there.

My views on RB are well known.

In fairness to Brandon, until we know why he chose a very strange time to be seen by reporters in the dressing room, I will hope that he's trying to create a distraction for the media & fans to try to take some of the scrutiny off the team.

That is the only positive spin I've come up w/. If it's not that or something similar ...

Maybe it's just me but I think the president of the team can go talk to the star players anytime he feels

He can.

Doesn't mean it doesn't create a very bad visual & will lead to people questioning whether he's sticking his nose into areas (hockey department functioning/decisions) that he has absolutely no background or skill in.

Maybe it's just me but I think the president of the team can go talk to the star players anytime he feels

He sure can, but I cannot continue to believe that he isn't involved in hockey operations if he goes and talks to the star player in the locker room right after a blowout, shutout loss. 

So that moves on to the next question, which is whether he should be involved in hockey operations, and my answer to that is an unqualified "no."

Ooooooh, just came up w/ a reason for Brandon to be talking to Eichel after the game in the locker room that could satisfy both the Brandon detractors AND PtR. He knew the NHL's cameras were on for the Road to the WC video & wanted his 5 seconds in the spotlight on the show. He'd already booked the appearance when he'd thought the Sabres would win the game & just didn't have the heart to disappoint all his fellow SJF alums from being able to see his smiling face. :lol:

Rats. Didn't see TW's reply when this was put together. :censored:

If we see a noticeable change in attitude and effort in Eichel over the next 20 games or so, I'll be a Brandon fan

His nickname forever more would be The Ginger Whisperer.

There are hockey presidents and there are business presidents. We've been led to believe that Russ is the latter. I wouldn't have expected Ted Black to talk to a star player.

I think it’s naive to think there are doors in any organization that don’t open. I’m head of sales. I talk to finance every day. Maintenance, too. Senior people do it more than me. They stroll around.

Most managers “head” something. Heading something, leading something, overseeing something, etc. doesn’t mean you don’t walk around, inquire, and give opinion elsewhere. The appropriate boss listens and makes his/her decisions. “Thanks!” This is a far cry from Russ making hockey decisions.

I wonder if we’d complain if JBot were seen in Russ’s office. “Hey, I thought JBot was HOCKEY Operations!”

They’re a team. It’d be weird if someone said “stay out of my office.”

Can Russ talk to a player in the hallway? Must he avert his eyes? Perhaps there’s a guard that segregates Ops and Biz.

We might all want them to be better, but I’ll take them talking and visiting over them being segregated and cloistered any day.

Now, cameras make some suspicious of the timing. I have no knowledge, or comment, there. But I’m not upset. Slow news day.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.