2017-18 lineup prediction (the Original Lineup Thread)

GASabresIUFAN

The left wing depth leaves me feeling like I did about the defense last off season. Assuming we'd bring in one or two more, which never happened and we saw the result.

LW depth is issue, but, would anyone feel better about it if we still had Foligno and Ennis ?

Edited by Georgia Blizzard

Yea, their stars were obviously too scared to play well enough to win anything without him.

Then why did they sign him if he's not needed?  If they're the cup champions, I assume they know what they're doing.

thanks for the link. This is as close to a projected line up as you will get. Is this a play-off line-up? im still not sure, though I would say it can compete for a play-off spot assuming they aren't decimated by injury.

I think Nylander is going to get every opportunity to win a top 6 LW spot in camp. If he can't make the team out of camp, hopefully, a half season in the AHL is all he needs. 

Could Bailey or Baptiste switch to LW?  

Though i do like the long term prospects of having this lineup in another year:

LW - Nylander, Mittelstadt, Kane(?? if resigned)

C - O'Reilly, Eichel, Reinhart

RW- Okposo, Bailey, Baptiste

Pominville, Moulson, Larsson, Girgs, Asplund....filling out the bottom of the forward depth. 

I'm not understanding the need for Middlestadt or Nylander anywhere near the big clubs organization this season or next. Clearly management stated proper development. Nylander, maybe (and merely a maybe) after another season in the AHL but I don't see Middlestadt anywhere near this roster for 2 years at least.

Hell, Bailey, Baptists and Fasching probably only see 1 of 5them this season.

Pouliot - RoR - Okposo

Josefson- Eichel - Rodrigues ( really don't know who to put with Eichel, but atleast these two guys have the speed, picked josefson, but griffith might surprise here to. )

Kane - Samson- Pommer  always liked kane and Reinhart together.

Moulson - Larson - Girgensons

Really want to get rid of moulson, so any of baptiste, bailey or fasching I'd like more.

Scandella - Risto

McCabe - Bogo

Beaulieu - Antipin

Lehner

Jonhson

Ullmark ( Botteril wants him playing in rochester)

I'm not understanding the need for Middlestadt or Nylander anywhere near the big clubs organization this season or next. Clearly management stated proper development. Nylander, maybe (and merely a maybe) after another season in the AHL but I don't see Middlestadt anywhere near this roster for 2 years at least.

Hell, Bailey, Baptists and Fasching probably only see 1 of 5them this season.

We are talking about 2 players drafted 8th overall. If Nylander is ready to produce at the NHL level this season - maybe 2nd half, he should be given that opportunity.  

I think at some point you will see all three of Bailey, Baptiste and Fasching. Unless by a miracle the Sabres dont have any forwards injured.

Mittlestadt could turn pro after 1 season in college - meaning he could be a late addition to the Sabres roster. 

Pouliot - Eichel - Rodrigues 

Grigensons - ROR - Okposo

Kane - Reinhart - Pomminstein

Fasching - Larsson - Bailey

Scandella - Risto

McCabe - Antipin

Beaulieu - Bogo

Edited by WildCard

Kane-Eichel-Reinhart

Pouliot-O'Reilly-Okposo

Girgensons-Larsson-Pominville

--Who cares--

Scandella-Risto

Beaulieu-Antipin

McCabe-Bogo

That's pretty darn close to my guess also

Which of course totally obliterates Reinhart ever getting to play C again, but of course that does blow up the hopes and fantasies of the troops wanting him there. 

Kane-Eichel-Reinhart

Pouliot-O'Reilly-Okposo

Girgensons-Larsson-Pominville

--Who cares--

Scandella-Risto

Beaulieu-Antipin

McCabe-Bogo

Pretty sure it would work better w/ Kane & Girgensons & the 2nd/3rd pairings flipped. But could absolutely see that on opening night. W/ the kid from Joisey centering 2 of Bailey, Baptiste, Rodriguez, & Fasching. They wouldn't keep Moulson on the 4th line simply for 2nd pp would they?

Would REALLY like 1 of Bailey, Baptiste, or Fasching to show he could take Reinhart's W & slide him back to C between Kane & Pominville. Larsson ends up disgruntled on 4th line, but he'd still get pk time & the 4th line would actually be useful. What a concept, allowing O'Reilly & Eichel each to play under 20 minutes/night most games. Keep the top D pairing to 23 or less most nights & the team might actually have something left in the tank for the stretch run.

Kane - O'Reilly - Okposo

Pouliot - Eichel - Reinhart

Moulson - Larsson - Pominville

Girgensons - Josefson - Bailey

Scandella - Ristolainen

McCabe - Bogosian

Beaulieu - Antipin

Lehner

Johnson

(Deslauriers, Gorges, Falk)

That's something like how I see the opening night lineup.

I think that's a playoffs roster.

Kane - O'Reilly - Okposo

Scandella - Ristolainen

McCabe - Bogosian

Beaulieu - Antipin

Lehner

Johnson

I suspect this is pretty close to what we'll see.

I don't think that 3rd line is going to score at all.  Not a play maker in the bunch.  And not fleet of foot at all to create on the break.  If that lineup is what the season starts with, I predict Matty Mo will get a seat at some point and a kid with more speed and developing game will replace him.

Kane - O'Reilly - Okposo

Scandella - Ristolainen

McCabe - Bogosian

Beaulieu - Antipin

Lehner

Johnson

1st line- Kane- ROR- Reinhart

2nd line- Pouliot- Eichel- Okposo

3rd line- Girgensons- Larsson- Pomminstein  Good in defensive zone and could provide 30-40 goals for the year

4th line- Moulson- Sorenson- Bailey  

I suspect this is pretty close to what we'll see.

I don't think that 3rd line is going to score at all.  Not a play maker in the bunch.  And not fleet of foot at all to create on the break.  If that lineup is what the season starts with, I predict Matty Mo will get a seat at some point and a kid with more speed and developing game will replace him.

Agreed. I don't think Moulson belongs on the roster at all, but I suspect he gets that chance. And like you say, maybe a young guy steps up. Finally, looks like we'll have some depth in Rochester to achieve just that.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Nylander is able to step in after a flourishing start to his 2nd AHL season. Nylander - Larsson - Pominville could provide a pesky 3rd line if deployed properly. Nylander is your playmaker, IF he is ready. Those guys could get some favourable matchups.

1st line- Kane- ROR- Reinhart

2nd line- Pouliot- Eichel- Okposo

3rd line- Girgensons- Larsson- Pomminstein Good in defensive zone and could provide 30-40 goals for the year

4th line- Moulson- Sorenson- Bailey

Who the heck is Sorenson?

BTW, Pominville was spelled correctly in the post you quoted :beer:

ROR-Eichel-Okposo

Jack needs to be with top wingers. ROR takes defensive zone draws allowing Eichel to grab the puck and startbtge transition out of the zone. This line combo also should dramatically improve 5v5 scoring

Kane-Reinhart-Bailey/Baptiste who ever wins the job out of camp

Reinhart returns to his natural position with two speedy wingers

Pouliot-Larsson-Pominville

Pouliot and Pommers drive possession, something the Sabres third line has not done in a while

Girgensons-Josefson-Fasching

Scandella-Risto

Beaulieu-Antipin

McCabe-Bogo

Lehner/Johnson

Moulson or D-Lo and Gorges extra

Edited by BRAWNDO