Tim Murray Press Conference 2:00 PM EST

Thwomp!

I listened to the conference and then popped on here to read through comments. My thoughts:

• People are definitely reading into GMTM's comments with personal biases: If you think DD stays, you heard it that way. If you think he's getting fired, you heard it that way. However, I do think there were a couple of things that bothered GMTM about DD:
  • He doesn't like all the prep work that the coaches do regarding other teams and wants them to focus on this team.
  • The comments about everything being black and white: I think this reflects that GMTM had to get involved because the players were expressing confusion. I think there is evidence of inconsistent punishment, and making everything black and white removes all the grey. I think some of that black and white is players not buying into the system because they don't know what they're supposed to do when a player like Jack isn't held to the same standard -- he gets a pass on mistakes and turnovers, IMO.

• Regarding Jack being captain. I don't think Murray meant he will make the decision of who's captain. I think his response was referred to it is up to him in regards to whether they bring Gionta back. Three or four questions were lumped into one... IIRC -- REPORTER: Gionta had a good year -- would you want to bring him back and would he be captain again. Or maybe that's not your decision. GMTM RESPONSE: (As I recall it) It is my decision. He did play well and we'd love to have him back for a one year contract if the terms are right.
  • Players not being happy. Maybe I missed something but it sounded like he was referring to players being unhappy because they missed the playoffs. He said whether you're a playoff team or not, you'll always have people unhappy. He made a specific comment about the players, and said I don't see them away from here, and so if they're unhappy, I don't see it. Kinda of weird: He seemed to dismiss the general negative attitude some people have, and summed it up by saying he wasn't away of any "cancers" in the room. On a different line of question, he said if people are more accountable, you can ask more of them. Sounds like that's why they were making it black and white.
  • It does sound like Peterson is not going to sign here. He said he talks to him everyday. Hmmm, wouldn't you know more than? And what do you say to someone everyday?
  • Antipin response was strange: "I think he is still playing."  Wouldn't you know with certainty when he season is over if you were looking to get him under contract?

Good recap. The Antipin comment sounded more sarcastic than not know, like "well he's still playing in Russia so can't really say anything"

• Antipin response was strange: "I think he is still playing."  Wouldn't you know with certainty when he season is over if you were looking to get him under contract?

He may have meant today.  The game is headed into 2OT.

And he will need to politely keep saying it...

Honestly, it seemed more like the parental response to "are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet?" type of thing.

He's just sick of hearing the same question that he doesn't have an answer to.

Oh you know what?  Murray can @#$% himself - getting mad about a question like that is childish.   If he isn't mature enough to understand this is one of the biggest stories regarding the Sabres, then he doesn't belong in the room.  He could just state - "I'm sorry, I have nothing new to report - wished I did" and leave it at that.

His irritable gruff tough talking schtick which apparently is a media acceptable substitute for basic competency is getting pretty old and stale.  

Oh you know what?  Murray can @#$% himself - getting mad about a question like that is childish.   If he isn't mature enough to understand this is one of the biggest stories regarding the Sabres, then he doesn't belong in the room.  He could just state - "I'm sorry, I have nothing new to report - wished I did" and leave it at that.

His irritable gruff tough talking schtick which apparently is a media acceptable substitute for basic competency is getting pretty old and stale.  

He didn't get mad and he explained his impatience.

Of all the things to get irritated about in today's presser--and there are a lot--I'm surprised that a couple of people are pissed about this.

I listened to the conference and then popped on here to read through comments. My thoughts:

• People are definitely reading into GMTM's comments with personal biases: If you think DD stays, you heard it that way. If you think he's getting fired, you heard it that way. 

I agree with this.  I want Dreary gone as much as anyone, but there was plenty enough pro and con from Murray that I think he's still going to be the coach.

If I were the coach, I'd tear out all that posh crap in the locker rooms that T-Peg foolishly lavished a bunch of listless millionaires with 6 years ago, and have those guys sitting on orange crates -  and make it crystal clear they're demonstrating orange-crate worth on the ice - shape up or you'll be sittin' on 'em all season.  

Smells like Murray thinks it is too much of a country club in that beautiful dressing room.

He didn't get mad and he explained his impatience.

Of all the things to get irritated about in today's presser--and there are a lot--I'm surprised that a couple of people are pissed about this.

Well, I didn't see it - it seemed from the posts here he was really mad about the question.  If he wasn't, it's a non-issue. 

Thanks for all the quick reporting and analysis, boys!

So, we still technically have some hope but have to sit a week to wait, with a pit in our stomach because of the 'no thoughts of firing him' line. 

###### great.

Can you explain this?  Is that when he will talk with ownership?

I agree with this.  I want Dreary gone as much as anyone, but there was plenty enough pro and con from Murray that I think he's still going to be the coach.

I thought Murray did a real good job in his awkward yet honest Murray way of not tipping his hand on DDB.

To expand on Murray's comments a little more, I think he may have taken a bit too hands-off of an approach with the team and now he regrets that. He expected that Dan and the players would set up a structure and a culture without needing his input, but it appears that this hasn't happened. He was asked to solve problems that he thought the coach should have been able to solve. Little things like player discipline, team rules, etc. 

I suspect in the future Murray will be more involved in the day to day stuff of the team unless he has a coach who he can leave alone. 

The questions for me now are:

Does he believe the mess that has been made is something that Bylsma can fix?

Has Bylsma lost the room beyond reconciliation? 

Which players were not good teammates/influences, etc., and can they be reclaimed or do they need to be moved at all costs?

Regarding the leadership thing, Schopp just said something interesting. He said that in a conversation with Lindy, socially, not on the air, Lindy was talking about a team from the early 2000's who had Gilmour and a couple other older guys who were leaders, but not in their prime. Basically said "If your leaders are not important players the team its tough for them to lead, because they can't do it by example."

Guys like Gio and Gorges and Moulson once were better players, and therefore better leaders because they could show guys what to do. I don't think he's saying that skill is the same as leadership, especially since Lindy was captain once himself and certainly not a skilled player, but that its easier to follow someone who doesn't just KNOW how to do stuff, but can still do it too. Just an interesting tidbit.

Not exactly but Murray will have input on that decision. I think it will be Eichel and I think it should be.

He said he would 'directly or indirectly' be making that decision. Pretty much sounds like if he decides to bring back Gionta or not

To expand on Murray's comments a little more, I think he may have taken a bit too hands-off of an approach with the team and now he regrets that. He expected that Dan and the players would set up a structure and a culture without needing his input, but it appears that this hasn't happened. He was asked to solve problems that he thought the coach should have been able to solve. Little things like player discipline, team rules, etc. 

I suspect in the future Murray will be more involved in the day to day stuff of the team unless he has a coach who he can leave alone. 

The questions for me now are:

Does he believe the mess that has been made is something that Bylsma can fix?

Has Bylsma lost the room beyond reconciliation? 

Which players were not good teammates/influences, etc., and can they be reclaimed or do they need to be moved at all costs?

I am totally on the same page.

One another note, I will give Murray full credit for acknowledging the feelings of the fans and putting the onus on himself to fix it.

He acknowledged the injuries, but didn't use them as a crutch, and made it clear there were deeper issues - talent yes, but beyond - that he intends to address.

I am totally on the same page.

One another note, I will give Murray full credit for acknowledging the feelings of the fans and putting the onus on himself to fix it.

He acknowledged the injuries, but didn't use them as a crutch, and made it clear there were deeper issues - talent yes, but beyond - that he intends to address.

Yep, this came across to me as well.  I expected the injuries to be a huge excuse but that didn't happen.

Regarding the leadership thing, Schopp just said something interesting. He said that in a conversation with Lindy, socially, not on the air, Lindy was talking about a team from the early 2000's who had Gilmour and a couple other older guys who were leaders, but not in their prime. Basically said "If your leaders are not important players the team its tough for them to lead, because they can't do it by example."

Guys like Gio and Gorges and Moulson once were better players, and therefore better leaders because they could show guys what to do. I don't think he's saying that skill is the same as leadership, especially since Lindy was captain once himself and certainly not a skilled player, but that its easier to follow someone who doesn't just KNOW how to do stuff, but can still do it too. Just an interesting tidbit.

This is great insight. Gorges and Moulson in particular fit this. Ennis too.

O'Reilly is too self-focused and is only just starting to understand what it means to lead.

Kane doesn't set an example.

Really, when you think about it, it becomes very clear what Kyle Okposo means to this team and why we were so bad with him out of the lineup.

Thanks for all the quick reporting and analysis, boys!

Can you explain this?  Is that when he will talk with ownership?

I didn't get to listen to most of this but I got the impression that he still has to meet with the Pegulas later on to wrap up the season/make decisions and stuff, and that it would be happening later in Florida, probably when TPegs is back from QB shopping.

Now I want the coach to have a possession system most of all, but I'd be in favor of one of those notoriously strict guys at this point. Sorta like Babcock - the "good for providing young teams rigid structure" guy that vets (Chelios and his comments) may not like. 

This is great insight. Gorges and Moulson in particular fit this. Ennis too.

O'Reilly is too self-focused and is only just starting to understand what it means to lead.

Kane doesn't set an example.

Really, when you think about it, it becomes very clear what Kyle Okposo means to this team and why we were so bad with him out of the lineup.

Yeah. Okie is a good hockey player and a great professional, from what I see.

If Jack Eichel told Murray point blank he wants Bylsma gone, should Murray make Bylsma gone?

In this particular instance, yes. Not because he's the cornerstone of the franchise, but because he's right, and his individual play showed why while everyone else's who followed Dan's system dropped dramatically. He proved it doesn't work

*I'm really afraid of Okposo's illness.  Are we talking something life threatening?  Just speculation but things like cancer or ALS or some other very serious illness keep popping into my head based on reactions whenever someone brings it up.

sadly the Okoposo thing is really concerning

Damn.

I didn't get to listen to most of this but I got the impression that he still has to meet with the Pegulas later on to wrap up the season/make decisions and stuff, and that it would be happening later in Florida, probably when TPegs is back from QB shopping.

:D to the bold.

Yeah that makes sense.  As posters have supposed in the other thread, hopefully the delay wouldn't cause GMTM to miss the boat on some of these other (currently) available coaches.

Did anyone ask about Reinhart's adventures at wing this season?

:D to the bold.

Yeah that makes sense.  As posters have supposed in the other thread, hopefully the delay wouldn't cause GMTM to miss the boat on some of these other (currently) available coaches.

I'm not worried, but mostly because I'm not super high on those guys.

And it would make sense that he has to talk to the guy that would be eating the contract once dan is fired

Edited by Randall Flagg

Did anyone ask about Reinhart's adventures at wing this season?

I'm not worried, but mostly because I'm not super high on those guys.

And it would make sense that he has to talk to the guy that would be eating the contract once dan is fired

Nope. Or about RoR or Risto's usage

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.