And your 2017-2018 Buffalo Sabres Captain is...

sabills

2017-2018 Captaincy  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets the "C":

• Brian Gionta
    • Ryan O'Rielly
    • Jack Eichel
    • Rasmus Ristolainen
    • Other (please comment)
    • Co-captains (please comment)
  2. 2. Who gets the "A's" (pick 2):

• Brian Gionta
    • Ryan O'Rielly
    • Jack Eichel
    • Rasmus Ristolainen
    • Kyle Okposo
    • Josh Gorges
    • Samson Reinhart
    • Marcus Foligno
    • Zach Bogosian
    • Evander Kane
    • Matt Moulson
    • Tyler Ennis
    • Other (please comment)
  3. 3. If Gionta is back he should get:

• The C
    • An A
    • Nothing

They're not going to give the C to Jack unless he signs. Giving him the C without signing just ups his price. 

I wouldn't use the same reasoning, but I can definitely see Jack not getting the C until he has a real season beyond what he considers "mediocre." (Basically, the season that would validate his contract asking price)

If O'Reilly gets it this year, and Jack has 80pts at the end of the year, no one (incl ROR) would be upset for Eichel to get the C the following year.

I wouldn't use the same reasoning, but I can definitely see Jack not getting the C until he has a real season beyond what he considers "mediocre." (Basically, the season that would validate his contract asking price)

If O'Reilly gets it this year, and Jack has 80pts at the end of the year, no one (incl ROR) would be upset for Eichel to get the C the following year.

Possibly. But how much did taking the C off Schoenfeld's chest & putting it on Gare's mess w/ chemistry? Those Gare teams seemed stronger than Schoeny's but never got as far.

They will never take it off ROR if they give it to him, which is why they won't.

ROR is too hard on himself as it is. Adding the "C" to his sweater might break him mentally when things aren't going well.

ROR is too hard on himself as it is. Adding the "C" to his sweater might break him mentally when things aren't going well.

I forgot about that thing. Well, makes the decision for Wowie easier

Possibly. But how much did taking the C off Schoenfeld's chest & putting it on Gare's mess w/ chemistry? Those Gare teams seemed stronger than Schoeny's but never got as far.

Lost on me... born '85  ;)

ROR is such a complete player that he seems a natural but being a captain isn't necessarily based on that. I would not be against him being captain but he is not the "face" of this franchise obviously.

Being the face of the franchise and being captain are not the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

“We’re just going to wait,” [Housley] said this afternoon following practice inside HarborCenter. “This has only been a couple weeks for me really getting on the ice with these guys, getting to know them and seeing how they react and fit into the team. That’ll happen maybe after the preseason. I don’t have a definite answer for that.”

That, of course, begs the question, will the Sabres even have a captain this season? Housley said he doesn’t know.

“We’re just evaluating right now,” he said.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/phil-housley-no-hurry-name-new-sabres-captain/

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.