And your 2017-2018 Buffalo Sabres Captain is...

sabills

2017-2018 Captaincy  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets the "C":

• Brian Gionta
    • Ryan O'Rielly
    • Jack Eichel
    • Rasmus Ristolainen
    • Other (please comment)
    • Co-captains (please comment)
  2. 2. Who gets the "A's" (pick 2):

• Brian Gionta
    • Ryan O'Rielly
    • Jack Eichel
    • Rasmus Ristolainen
    • Kyle Okposo
    • Josh Gorges
    • Samson Reinhart
    • Marcus Foligno
    • Zach Bogosian
    • Evander Kane
    • Matt Moulson
    • Tyler Ennis
    • Other (please comment)
  3. 3. If Gionta is back he should get:

• The C
    • An A
    • Nothing

Giving somebody the "C" who may not be completely ready for it can have a positive influence on their game.     If it's anybody but Eichel I'll be shocked.

Or it can weigh heavy on them and hurt their game.  Eichel thinks he wants it and maybe he's ready.  I trust Housley's judgment in this regard (no matter which way he goes).

Or it can weigh heavy on them and hurt their game.  Eichel thinks he wants it and maybe he's ready.  I trust Housley's judgment in this regard (no matter which way he goes).

Do you have any examples of this?    This is an old wives tale IMO.

@JourdanLaBarber O'Reilly said he's not thinking much a potential captaincy, but would be ready if asked.

@JourdanLaBarber "It would be an honor ... But with a letter or not, the stuff that needed to change I think has and that’s what we want.”

Hmmmm

This reads as being directed at last year's coaching staff.

Sure sounds like it.

It reads like ROR was about to rip the C off Gionta's shoulder to attempt to restore order to the team over Bylsma and Co. But now that they are gone, he's purring in the shadows again content, ready to lead by example.

Jack gets the C.

Edited by Thorny

It reads like ROR was about to rip the C off Gionta's shoulder to attempt to restore order to the team over Bylsma and Co. But now that they are gone, he's purring in the shadows again content, ready to lead by example.

Jack gets the C.

I like that take too. It fits my previous narrative about Gionta being a real sh*t captain. 

There is about a 90% chance Jack get's the C. This is his team, everyone knows it, and he is making no attempt to hide it.  The only other player with half a chance is ROR.  Okposo?  not a chance in hell.  He's a nice piece, but nice pieces don't get the C, the heart and soul of your team does, if you have such a player.

Its Jack with the C, ROR and Risto with the A's.  Buckle up your chinstraps.  The kids are leading this train now.   

I was also wondering about Gionta's (and also heard about Gorges's) reputation in the locker room. Was it their tone that wasn't resonating with the younger players? Curious about any inside info...

This is a post I made previously on the subject: 

https://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/24836-and-your-2017-2018-buffalo-sabres-captain-is/?p=932591

To expand on that, how about this theory: Brian Gionta is a sh*t captain. 

Look at his record. The dude played 7 seasons in NJ and wore an A for a few months in 2007 even though he was one of the teams best players for years. How is it that Mr. Leadership kept getting passed over for letters in NJ? Then he comes to Montreal and gets a C and does it even matter? They didn't care about losing him. 

So then he comes here, gets a C slapped on him, and suddenly he's Chris Drury 2.0? 

You wanna know what is wrong with this team's attitude? Start with Brian Gionta, the guy everyone seems to think is a leader despite having never shown any evidence of that being a thing. 

Edited by d4rksabre

There is about a 90% chance Jack get's the C. This is his team, everyone knows it, and he is making no attempt to hide it.  The only other player with half a chance is ROR.  Okposo?  not a chance in hell.  He's a nice piece, but nice pieces don't get the C, the heart and soul of your team does, if you have such a player.

Its Jack with the C, ROR and Risto with the A's.  Buckle up your chinstraps.  The kids are leading this train now.   

This.  I will be sad if any other scenario materializes.  

Can you say who you heard that from?

Scuttlebutt around here on the forum is all.  Maybe it was pure speculation.

You have to remember, I live in Texas.  I don't talk to anyone about the Sabres except you guys.  So if the forum has messed up opinions, that's what informed me.  :P

That'd be my guess as well. Could see an outside shot of Bogosian getting the 2nd A. Wouldn't mind seeing that if only to watch True's head explode. ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.