And your 2017-2018 Buffalo Sabres Captain is...

sabills

2017-2018 Captaincy  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets the "C":

• Brian Gionta
    • Ryan O'Rielly
    • Jack Eichel
    • Rasmus Ristolainen
    • Other (please comment)
    • Co-captains (please comment)
  2. 2. Who gets the "A's" (pick 2):

• Brian Gionta
    • Ryan O'Rielly
    • Jack Eichel
    • Rasmus Ristolainen
    • Kyle Okposo
    • Josh Gorges
    • Samson Reinhart
    • Marcus Foligno
    • Zach Bogosian
    • Evander Kane
    • Matt Moulson
    • Tyler Ennis
    • Other (please comment)
  3. 3. If Gionta is back he should get:

• The C
    • An A
    • Nothing

Housley said they'll be rotating the As. Unclear if that means we'll get 2 a game or 3.

Are you kidding me?  I've never heard of such a thing - sounds incredibly lame.   It makes the A like a participation trophy for snowflakey millennials.

Leave it to Buffalo to screw up a simple thing like naming a Captain and 2 Alternates.  smh

Are you kidding me?  I've never heard of such a thing - sounds incredibly lame.   It makes the A like a participation trophy for snowflakey millennials.

Leave it to Buffalo to screw up a simple thing like naming a Captain and 2 Alternates.  smh

Or Toronto who has all alternates.. or Carolina who has a road C and a home C who are not the same people.

Making a big deal out of nothing.  Eichel will eventually get the C because no one ever pays a guy that much money on any team and does not give him the C.  It's that simple... they all know it.  And even if someone else is a better leader they will still be a leader on the team without the C.

Or Toronto who has all alternates.. or Carolina who has a road C and a home C who are not the same people.

Making a big deal out of nothing.  Eichel will eventually get the C because no one ever pays a guy that much money on any team and does not give him the C.  It's that simple... they all know it.  And even if someone else is a better leader they will still be a leader on the team without the C.

I didn't realize Toronto was all alternates -  or Carolina had a road Captain and home Captain.

The Sabres approach sounds different though - a rotating alternate Captains throughout the ranks which sounds pretty touchy feely and weaksauce. 

http://buffalonews.com/2017/10/05/sabres-decide-collaborative-leadership-captaincy/?utm_campaign=puma&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1507224204

Gotta love the Buffalo News rubber stamping and endorsing the approach with no critical analysis.   

"But the traditional captaincy is a top-down model and success these days – whether in business, hockey, or the business of hockey – is built on collaborative leadership."

Really?  Most businesses that I work with, or my own employer - it's a traditional top down management structure. Maybe the Navy ought to start having alternating Captains on their ships - see how that works for them?  LOL  

Then Botterill is quoted "I think successful teams have a collaborative model. Just like coaches, you can't have one voice." 

Really?  Hasn't Crosby been the Pen's captain for years?    Toews captain of the BHs for years?   And even outside hockey - would the Patriots have built such a juggernaut dynasty if Belichick had to spread his authority and decision making around?   

I'd say say the aforementioned teams are successful with a very traditional structure - one guy at the top.     Which teams are having all this success with rotating alternates and 'collaborative leadership'?  

I have to wonder if this is Botterill or Housley's idea?  Or if it came from ownership?  These owners love their committee decisions and meetings.  

While I had hoped Housley would just name Eichel the captain it didn't happen.

So what I hope for now is that part way into the season the teams or the other A's on the team approach Phil and suggest that they give Eichel the C.  I think that would be awesome.   Housley gave the team his short list.. let the players decide.

Making a big deal out of nothing. Eichel will eventually get the C because no one ever pays a guy that much money on any team and does not give him the C. It's that simple... they all know it. And even if someone else is a better leader they will still be a leader on the team without the C.

Thank you.

It puzzles me how narrow minded some are when it comes to this stuff. Leaders lead. Guys with letters get to talk to the officials. Whoop dee dam do.

Thank you.

It puzzles me how narrow minded some are when it comes to this stuff. Leaders lead. Guys with letters get to talk to the officials. Whoop dee dam do.

Yep.  Perreault was not a captain until Gare was traded in the '81-'82 season.  Didn't seem to matter.

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.