A kind word for Ghost of Dwight Drane

darksabre

If you have to add IIRC maybe you shouldn't have posted it, because I think you went pretty far off the rails there. It was more about Pegula pal Benson's connections to Second Mile, Sandusky's charity.

As I think I've acknowledged here, I helped him do some digging in and around some of the issues that had captured his attention (and imagination).

There was definitely some weird/odd stuff that we found. Based on what we found, I wound up being satisfied that the Pegulas had spent some money to white wash their public image and eliminate their digital footprint. But I think most billionaires do that sort of thing. It never looked to me like anything beyond basic "brand" management on the part of a guy who has more money than God.

And then there was some other potentially weird stuff we found, but we didn't have the time or energy (or, probably, the expertise) to investigate further and see if it was just sorta odd, or, as GoDD suspected, nefarious.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Yup. He's told me the same. 

Then what's the point?  Even if he can cool the other BS that got him banned, which I doubt, he's been told endlessly, by seemingly innumerable people, that the community and the board owner don't want the PSU conspiracy stuff--which is 100% garbage--here.

Then what's the point? Even if he can cool the other BS that got him banned, which I doubt, he's been told endlessly, by seemingly innumerable people, that the community and the board owner don't want the PSU conspiracy stuff--which is 100% garbage--here.

My hope was that maybe he could surprise us by trying, and I would support him if he wanted to. But I know that that is up to him.

I've kinda had it with fake news and conspiracies. If he can't keep stop himself from making baseless accusations, he can go be President but I don't want to see that nonsense here.

I'm sure he's a good guy IRL and I'd like to have a beer with him sometime.

I too think GoDD is a good guy and I too miss having him here. He just crossed the line too many times, and not only on the PSU matter.

I hope I can make it to the next meetup (and it would be great to have a NYC edition for the WC) and that he (and many others here) attend.

I too think GoDD is a good guy and I too miss having him here. He just crossed the line too many times, and not only on the PSU matter.

I hope I can make it to the next meetup (and it would be great to have a NYC edition for the WC) and that he (and many others here) attend.

Ill work on it with other locals... Good Bills Bar in New Rochelle and Stamford on train lines... Citifield accesible by train.... places to stay in westchester or ct hotels, maybe a group rate...

Play Sabres games there and decent wings... open to suggestions also gotta go to places in citi.

Edited by North Buffalo

Ill work on it with other locals... Good Bills Bar in New Rochelle and Stamford on train lines... Citifield accesible by train.... places to stay in westchester or ct hotels, maybe a group rate...

Play Sabres games there and decent wings... open to suggestions also gotta go to places in citi.

What about a tailgate before the game in the Citi field parking lot?  We'd need to start early as I assume it will be an early game.

I don't want to start a huge debate about the ban, since that is something that is between the mods and him and I'm fine with it staying that way out of respect for both parties involved.

But I would like to put in a good word for the guy. He had reached out to me before the meetup expressing a desire to come meet people that I believe he genuinely considers friends, and I think everyone who had the chance to meet him Saturday would agree that he's a good dude.

I think it would mean a lot to him if he could be given a chance to rejoin our little online community again, even if he ultimately declines or it doesn't work out. At the very least he's someone a bunch of us know as a real human being now, which I think matters.

Again, not trying to start anything here. Just raising a glass for Ghost. :beer:

Sometimes someone finds your words for you. Listen, and it's not so very infrequent. Grateful!

My mind occasionally wonders along the "life imitates art versus art imitates life" continuum. My most recent stroll took place at Gabriel's Gate. I walked with great anticipation into the back room and caught flashes of faces, all alive and animated. Dark! Josie! Eleven?! Before I could say a word, a back arose purposefully and deliberately from a chair and turned to face me. It belonged to a man who just kept rising! I was watching a mountain being born. Tectonics, less than three feet away. Instantly, I was in the grasp of arms that easily wrapped around my not unsubstantial frame and pulled into an irresistible hug. My face was buried in the big man's chest. Two hands grabbed my shoulders and didn't let go while two arms pushed me a great arm's length away, allowing me to see a face. I had no words. "Neo! It's Ghost!"

Out of context, and unsuspecting, I stared back blankly.

"Drane", he offered more.

I'm sure GoDD saw the dawn of awareness in my eyes and across my face. I hugged him back, with great sincerity.

I watched and listened to him for another hour. His posts were always provocative, of course. They commanded attention. No one described physicality better than GoDD, whether he was describing race horses, hockey players, or college football players. "He turns his hips fluidly and suffers no loss of speed'" he'd write. "Look at his film at Clemson" would be followed by convincing references to arm length, leverage, and torso. Physicality in words.

Well, that same physicality describes GoDD in real life. His face, arms and hands all talk in concert with his mouth. Eyes wide, voice rising and falling, arms extending and retracting, hands pivoting like great paddles or rudders; he moves. I was reminded of the great Jackie Gleason. GoDD is several shows at once. A circus with only one ring, but three performers. Focus on any one show and you miss two. Take all of him in from a modest distance and he's overwhelming. His expression is as powerful as the ideas behind it.

GoDD's posts were pure Warner Bros. Tasmanian Devil. Oscar Wilde was right.

To the provocateurs! I miss GoDD.

Of course, I never had to clean up after him.

Edited by Neo

Ah, Neo, the art of your prose has been missed.

As has Dwight's rare gift to engage.

Perfect summation.

I'm glad that we have Neo back and I do miss GoDD.  I miss his rare gift of conversation on many topics.  Unfortunately, it was that very gift that led to his downfall.

Perfect summation.

I'm glad that we have Neo back and I do miss GoDD.  I miss his rare gift of conversation on many topics.  Unfortunately, it was that very gift that led to his downfall.

Mountain man. Great description. Larger than life is always how I thought of him.

I have to admit to being somewhat lukewarm about the PSU talk. It's not that it's not plausible, I couldn't get to the point where I believed that a poster on a Sabres message board could be Woodward and Bernstein like that. But hearing that Ghost will not NOT discuss it as condition of returing and hearing that Smell assisted in research and thinks there might be something there changes my mind. However, clearly the board owner does not want it discussed, so here we are.

Mountain man. Great description. Larger than life is always how I thought of him.

I have to admit to being somewhat lukewarm about the PSU talk. It's not that it's not plausible, I couldn't get to the point where I believed that a poster on a Sabres message board could be Woodward and Bernstein like that. But hearing that Ghost will not NOT discuss it as condition of returing and hearing that Smell assisted in research and thinks there might be something there changes my mind. However, clearly the board owner does not want it discussed, so here we are.

To be clear(er): I never really thought that there was something there insofar as PSU goes -- at least, not beyond a desire to whitewash unpleasant (but otherwise non-incriminating) aspects of your past associations. But it's evident that the Pegulas have done that with several areas of their lives -- not just with the PSU connections. 

Hey North Buffalo...I'd be willing to help, I live in Somers.  Think I may have met you once in the proshop at Brewster Ice Rink.