Update: Sabres sign D Man Viktor Antipin to 1yr ELC

Brawndo

He's small and isn't fast. Maybe there's a reason there is no bidding war here. I mean what team really needs defenseman?

Where are you getting this from?

Calgary, Chicago, Columbus and Pitt were all interested in him. All five teams can only offer him the same 1 year max but we won cause we can offer top minutes cause our d is awful.

http://www.diebytheblade.com/2017/3/14/14923294/buffalo-sabres-expected-to-sign-defenseman-viktor-antipin-khl

Exactly.  He is looking to do what Zaitsev did in Toronto; join an NHL team desperate for D and hopefully play well and earn a longer term deal for good $.  

well thanks to OReilly Canada just came back from 0-2 and won 4-2 to eliminate Russia from the Worlds so lets hope we hear later today or tomorrow that he has signed. And yes I would be more then willing to try Kulikov again as I still think he is far better then we saw last year (which goes fo rmost of the team)...

Edited by Sabre fan

Egor from some European Hockey writers association was on GR this morning. (I just remember the Egor part and he's a hockey reporter.)

Egor...

Antipin wants to come to Buffalo.

WGR...

Why?

Because their d is not good and he will start right away.

When?

As soon as tournament is done, talk to no one about it till then.

Is he as good as they say he is?

Yes. Small but tough on puck. Good eyes, good passes.

Where could he improve?

Speed. Could be faster. NHL is fast, he needs to be very fast.

Now we all drink vodka and cheer for the Sabres*

*What I said after the interview (and do during the games).

So he lacks speed? That's what this says anyway...

March 2017 – The 24-year-old continues to produce with Metallurg Magnitogorsk while it pushes further into the Gagarin Cup playoffs. While he does not have a giant stature, Antipin uses strong skating and offensive zone creativity to make plays, often pinching or controlling the puck down low in the offensive zone. Has a sense of what the do with the puck before it is on his stick. In his own zone, Antipin can push the opposition to the outside. Stays with his man but can sometimes get caught behind his own net.

http://www.dobberprospects.com/viktor-antipin/

Is mobile and reliable in the defensive zone. Capable of logging important minutes along the blueline, he defends his position well, blocks shots with courage and can also add decent offense to his squad.

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/player/11871

I don't think skating is an issue.

Per Slava Malamud

He is coming, that's all he said. Turned down Pittsburgh, interestingly enough. He is an upgrade on Kulikov. Young, high upside...

... but he will not accept a demotion to Rochester. If it's not the top 6 he is back in Russia, per agreement with Metallurg. #Sabres

Per Slava Malamud

He is coming, that's all he said. Turned down Pittsburgh, interestingly enough. He is an upgrade on Kulikov. Young, high upside...

... but he will not accept a demotion to Rochester. If it's not the top 6 he is back in Russia, per agreement with Metallurg. #Sabres

I can see why he'd turn down the Pens. He can only sign for 1 year, so he'll need as much ice time as possible to prove himself. That wouldn't happen playing for the Pens or any other playoff contender.

So he lacks speed? That's what this says anyway...

No, he's fast. But he needs to be faster in the NHL. The speed of the game and foot speed will be new to him once he plays the  NHL game. Egor  stuttered during this segment and couldn't find the right words. He knew the word *fast* and couldn't put to English what he wanted to say. Egor just knew he would need to be *faster*. 

Egor spoke the simple truth. He'll need some time to adjust.

I heard he turned down Pittsburg but the only way he signs is if he is guaranteed not to go to Rochester and  and only play in the NHL which needless to say should be no problem with our defense so very bad in need of fresh talent

So basically the 3D we now have to protect are Risto - McCabe and Antipin.

Or is he exempt for some reason ?

He's exempt. He outs a first year pro and he technically isn't on the team til July 1. We'll protect Risto, McCabe, and someone. I say someone because idk what Botterill will do.

I think he read all the GDT on Sabrespace.  That and the MODO video convinced him to come to Buffalo.

I think MODO should send that video to the Sabres PR dept. and have #### ####### give him a job.

He should send the video to Olofsson for sure so we can get him over to NA. Then we will have two x MODO players in Buffalo. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.