OT Andrew Peters Involved in Incident

Brawndo

I'm pretty sure Peters started off the show today with an apology..and stated that there is no place for fighting in Youth Hockey....but yet he claims 100% there is a place for it in the NHL.....what level (where is the line) where it goes from not having a place to having one?

Here's  what he said (this is a lightly edited version of the WGR auto transcript):

But first I feel there something I need to address. I think a lot of people have been talking about an incident that occurred surrounding our team this weekend -- I'm the coach of fifteen U junior sabres hockey team. You know, and the game resulted in a lot, you know, a lot of penalties and on ice altercations. I just wanna say that, you know -- first of all -- there's no room for, for what happened, in youth sports. Fighting in youth sports is absolutely unacceptable. All sports, not just hockey. It's about -- it should be about, you know, good sportsmanship, developing skills, and being a good teammate. I didn't -- I didn't do a good good job this weekend communicating any of those skills to my team. Going forward, I need to do a better job. You know, and as coaches in general I think we need to do better job. I can't discuss anything in regard the altercation, the incident. So, I just have to move on from that.

I don't think he apologized for anything. He seemed to take responsibility for his team getting out of control, and not staying focused on sportsmanship, skills, and being a good teammate. He also seemed to be laying blame at the feet of what the other team did to precipitate the incident and altercation.

That's a political-level non-apology apology.

For sure. I guess he had to say something, but I especially considering WGR made the strange choice to leave him on the air. Ultimately, I think a week or two off while details surface painting whatever picture presents itself would have been ideal.

According to John Wawrow, family of player is not filing a complaint.

Assuming the player has hopes of continuing in high end youth hockey, the family quite possibly doesn't want to create any waves. Especially not in a situation like this where it appears the player suffered no injury.

No injury, no point in pushing the issue?

Assuming the player has hopes of continuing in high end youth hockey, the family quite possibly doesn't want to create any waves. Especially not in a situation like this where it appears the player suffered no injury.

No injury, no point in pushing the issue?

Probably the case. That's up though honestly

Probably the case. That's ###### up though honestly

There's plenty effed up with this situation, but the family's decision not to file a criminal complaint is understandable, given the circumstances. And, again, the circumstances are messed up. And one of the reasons they're messed up is because the kid who got chucked was participating in a line brawl, and maybe going after someone on the opposing team's bench.

There's plenty effed up with this situation, but the family's decision not to file a criminal complaint is understandable, given the circumstances. And, again, the circumstances are messed up. And one of the reasons they're messed up is because the kid who got chucked was participating in a line brawl, and maybe going after someone on the opposing team's bench.

Yup.

People are unfairly assuming that Peters advocated that type of behavior just because he was an inforcer in the NHL. I've coached U18 and U15 teams. Your dealing with kids who will overreact to a hard check or pushing so they don't look like a wimp, no matter how many times you emphasize that they need to back away and let the other team take the penalties. The only recourse you're left with is suspending the players after the fact. But teenagers don't always think rationally. And Peters was pushing a guy away who was jumping his players on his bench. I'm sure he didn't mean for the guy to fall back, but it happens when you're on ice. But the refs weren't keeping the other team's players away from the bench.

Don't let a dislike of Peters commentary or personality cloud the facts.

People are unfairly assuming that Peters advocated that type of behavior just because he was an inforcer in the NHL. I've coached U18 and U15 teams. Your dealing with kids who will overreact to a hard check or pushing so they don't look like a wimp, no matter how many times you emphasize that they need to back away and let the other team take the penalties. The only recourse you're left with is suspending the players after the fact. But teenagers don't always think rationally. And Peters was pushing a guy away who was jumping his players on his bench. I'm sure he didn't mean for the guy to fall back, but it happens when you're on ice. But the refs weren't keeping the other team's players away from the bench.

Fair points and insight. I will say that I inferred that Peters may foster an environment where stuff like this happens not just because of what he did in the NHL - but because of the way I have seen him act off the ice as well. But your points are fair ones.

Food for thought: Look at what Peters is doing at the :11 mark of the video. He's pretty clearly telling one of his players to go get another of Peters' players (who'd just scrapped) away from the potential renewal of an altercation (i.e., "Hey - tell Cody I told him to knock it off").

I appreciate your knowledge of coaching, but come on. As an adult, you can't shove a kid whether you mean to knock him down or not. Are we applying NHL rules where "oh, I didn't mean to give that guy a concussion when I elbowed him in the head" has weight.

I appreciate your knowledge of coaching, but come on. As an adult, you can't shove a kid whether you mean to knock him down or not. Are we applying NHL rules where "oh, I didn't mean to give that guy a concussion when I elbowed him in the head" has weight.

I worked as a substitute teacher in an urban school district for a while, back in the day. On three separate occasions, I shoved/pushed kids who were involved, or were about to be involved in a dust-up. I'd like to think I acted appropriately.

I think that's what Peters is going to say he did here. Looking at the footage, I'm just not so sure whether he ended up acting appropriately.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I worked as a substitute teacher in an urban school district for a while, back in the day. On three separate occasions, I shoved/pushed kids who were involved, or were about to be involved in a dust-up. I'd like to think I acted appropriately.

I think that's what Peters is going to say he did here. Looking at the footage, I'm just not so sure whether he ended up acting appropriately.

I think he would have been in a much better place if he didn't come in so hot and knock the kid back several feet. If he just moved him enough to keep everyone at bay, we aren't having this discussion.

I think he would have been in a much better place if he didn't come in so hot and knock the kid back several feet. If he just moved him enough to keep everyone at bay, we aren't having this discussion.

Agreed. Inserting yourself into a situation is one thing. This crossed a line.

This is where I'm at. Nothing wrong with grabbing a fistful of jersey and getting the kid away from your bench. But there was a bit of sledgehammer-on-a-fly there. If I thought he were a better guy, I'd be inclined to say "honest mistake" and give him a pass.

This is where I'm at. Nothing wrong with grabbing a fistful of jersey and getting the kid away from your bench. But there was a bit of sledgehammer-on-a-fly there. If I thought he were a better guy, I'd be inclined to say "honest mistake" and give him a pass.

Yup. My biases about him based on my observation of his conduct/personality in other situations, is the lens through which I'm viewing this. 

If that's the worst hockey dust up between teams/coaches/refs that is caught on a phone and put on you-tube, then the sport of hockey and all of it's participants are not doing to bad of a job at teaching sportsmanship.

There is a heck of a lot worse going on at  games in all different sports than that.

Edited by Woods-Racer

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.