OT Andrew Peters Involved in Incident

Brawndo

Dude, people have been booted from here for those kind of accusations. Unless you have proof, I wouldn't throw that kind of talk around.

Anyways, Peters is a moron for losing his cool. The refs and kids need to sort that out, no place for a coach to do that. Shove, punch, or bad breath knocking that kid over, he should be done and it's a bad look for WGR to have him on the radio today.

Is he on today? That program is run by the Sabres, not GR, so it's the Sabres call if he is on. 

Unrelated to the incident, but Peters was laughing off the idea of Larsson coming back and being important to this team (forgetting that Johan had the toughest minutes of any forward for us while he was in) and then claimed that he'd prefer Gionta over the next two years than having Larsson. I may have read it wrong, but not just Gio over Larsson for two years and still having Larsson, it sounded like he meant if we had to get rid of one to make room for the other, he'd kick Larsson out the door despite his young age just to have two more years of Gio. Smart guy.

Word.

Who hired him? Would it have been Peca?

Kevyn Adams suspended him so I gotta think he hired him

Unrelated to the incident, but Peters was laughing off the idea of Larsson coming back and being important to this team (forgetting that Johan had the toughest minutes of any forward for us while he was in) and then claimed that he'd prefer Gionta over the next two years than having Larsson. I may have read it wrong, but not just Gio over Larsson for two years and still having Larsson, it sounded like he meant if we had to get rid of one to make room for the other, he'd kick Larsson out the door despite his young age just to have two more years of Gio. Smart guy.

Peter's stupid opinion aside, many posters have shared his negative view of Larsson, which I can't understand.

Oh, yeah. He's a veritable genius.

Kevyn Adams suspended him so I gotta think he hired him

Peter's stupid opinion aside, many posters have shared his negative view of Larsson, which I can't understand.

Ah, right - Adams. Maybe Adams likewise hired Peca?

On the subject of Larsson, my guess is that Peters' antipathy or lack of enthusiasm has its roots in an anti-Euro bias.

Looked at the Wiki page: Adams is listed as president, and Peca is the GM.

Yes. I'm not going any further than that. Well, maybe I am. I'm not saying sexual abuse, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's hit kids before behind closed doors.

That's a pretty strong thing to say about someone.  Even if he's a jackass.

Oh, yeah. He's a veritable genius.

Ah, right - Adams. Maybe Adams likewise hired Peca?

On the subject of Larsson, my guess is that Peters' antipathy or lack of enthusiasm has its roots in an anti-Euro bias.

Looked at the Wiki page: Adams is listed as president, and Peca is the GM.

It's not the same team as the Buffalo Jr. Sabres.  I believe Peters's team is a couple of years younger.  It might be the same organization though.

It's not the same team as the Buffalo Jr. Sabres.  I believe Peters's team is a couple of years younger.  It might be the same organization though.

It is what it is. I've heard enough dumb come out of his mouth to think that if I ever had kids I'd want them as far away from him as possible. At the very least he's probably a bad influence because he's such a damn cement head. At worst he's dangerous. We were treated to a sneak peak this weekend, and it doesn't look good. 

Well, he's a jackass who laid hands on a kid with hundreds of eyes watching.

I think you're right about the team - Peters apparently has the U-15 group, which is presumably a feeder to the older team that is the Buffalo Jr. Sabres (?).

Peters spoke to the incident on-air today, sort of. The clip of his audio is apparently here:

http://media.wben.com/a/118547587/andrew-peters-addresses-youth-hockey-brawl.htm

I didn't listen twice, but it's clear that he did not apologize for anything he actually did in terms of laying hands on opposing players. From a legal standpoint, that is understandable. From a PR standpoint, it is a total sh1t show.

Peters spoke about how fighting has no place in youth sports, that the game in question involved a lot of penalties, and that, apparently, he did not adequately instruct/prepare his players with regard to how to conduct themselves in the context of a game.

I can't believe they let him on the air at all. This is the kind of thing that warrants a suspension (even paid leave) while it gets sorted out.

Sir.

In retrospect, I'm a little ashamed of how loudly I cheered for Ray during his heyday. But, let us not disrespect the fact that he gave all to the team. I could post dozens of clips where he gave as good as (or better than) he got with his jersey tied down.

Also, there are just a few guys who threw heavier and more freely than him in Sabres history - tie-down trick or no. I'd venture to say that the tie-down technique extended his pugilistic efficacy - it didn't create it.

Having met the man, it truly seems like his torso and hands are made of cement.

It's funny because NHLofficials.com has the following:

Rule 46.13 (Jerseys) states:A player who engages in a fight and whose jersey is removed (completely off his torso), other than through the actions of his opponent in the altercation or through the actions of the Linesman, shall be assessed a game misconduct penalty.

The rationale behind this rule is to prevent player from using different tactics where they would get their jersey off during a fight to gain an advantage over their opponent. On top of getting an advantage in the fight by having their jersey removed, there is also a safety factor here to prevent a player from pulling his opponent jersey over his head and feeding him while his jersey now blinds him. In the 90’s, Buffalo Sabres enforcer Rob Ray was well kwon for using this tactic during his fights. Ray's jersey and shoulder pads would quickly be shed due to his opponent's clutching and grabbing and his opponent would no longer be able to clutch and grab him giving him an advantage in the fight. Since then, a new rule was added in the Rulebook to prevent such tactic. Every NHL player’s jersey now have a “tied down” strap in the back that player are required to attach with their pant’s belt to prevent the jersey from going over the player’s head during an altercation.

So, when a player engages in a fight and his jersey is removed because he was not properly “tied down”, this player is to be assessed a Game Misconduct penalty in addition to his fighting and other penalties incurred on this play. 

bold emphasis mine. 

Reminds me of the curfuffle the tucked vs untucked jersey rule in our beer league caused. 

Anyways, good riddance to Peters, never liked him 

I'm one. Two players attacked his bench. He threw one to the ice (it wasn't a punch) and the kid skated away unharmed. 

yawn...

I'm not sure Kevyn Adams was yawning when he announced that Peters was being suspended as coach pending a full investigation.

FWIW, I've seen plenty of chatter on Twitter to the effect that what Peters did was acceptable under the circumstances. 

I can't agree. Also, I think that particular view conveniently ignores the key contribution Peters made, as coach, to those "circumstances" existing in the first place. 

He should not have been on the air today.  He shouldn't be on the air unless and until the incident is investigated and he's cleared of any charges.  The public relations of both PS&E franchises continues to astound me in their respective ineptitude.  Who in their right mind would think that's a good decision at this point in time?

While I can't yet tell whether he did anything wrong--I can't discern whether he's trying to break up a fight or participate in one--I was surprised that he was on the air today.

As coach of a U-15 team that was engaged in a line brawl, he initially oversaw the mayhem as though he were the coach of a pro team - arms crossed, outwardly impassive. So, even before he chucked that kid to the ice, I think he did plenty wrong (and I mean from his conduct behind the bench, to his conduct/teaching as a coach leading up to that game). Probably not enough to warrant a suspension from his on-air duties, but probably enough to warrant his dismissal from the the coaching position.

I'm also not sure it's an either/or proposition with what he did to the other kid. My sense is that he wanted the opposing player away from, out of his bench. Where a torch likely would've done the job, he busted out a flame thrower. 

Edited by That Aud Smell

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.