OT Andrew Peters Involved in Incident

Brawndo

if it wasn't for his jersey removal shtick, I'm not sure he would have one a fight

Sir.

In retrospect, I'm a little ashamed of how loudly I cheered for Ray during his heyday. But, let us not disrespect the fact that he gave all to the team. I could post dozens of clips where he gave as good as (or better than) he got with his jersey tied down.

Also, there are just a few guys who threw heavier and more freely than him in Sabres history - tie-down trick or no. I'd venture to say that the tie-down technique extended his pugilistic efficacy - it didn't create it.

Having met the man, it truly seems like his torso and hands are made of cement.

Edited by That Aud Smell

That punk went after anyone on the bench, he deserved to get punched. I may be a little buyist in this decision though, as I played junior hockey and was in the car on the way home when my teammates were still playing. I didn't play a whole lot.

Edited by Claude Balls

That punk went after anyone on the bench, he deserved to get punched. I may be a little buyist in this decision though, as I played junior hockey and was in the car on the way home when my teammates were still playing. I didn't play a whole lot.

Kid got what he had coming, unfortunately so does Petey

Here's the footage of the game involving ECC:

Awful. The kid faces criminal charges. Rightly so.

Why are 15 year olds brawling anyway?

The NHL dinosaurs have apparently ruined hockey at all levels.

That was my first thought as well.

I, for one, am shocked, SHOCKED, that a team of 15 year olds coached by Andrew Peters would be engaged in a line brawl.

At this point I'm more worried we're going to find out Peters was abusing the kids he was coaching. I get that vibe from him...

To be clear: You're talking "abuse" along the lines of Lindy's helmet whacks on Luke Adam (during a practice - with other player around), right?

To be clear: You're talking "abuse" along the lines of Lindy's helmet whacks on Luke Adam (during a practice - with other player around), right?

Yes. I'm not going any further than that. Well, maybe I am. I'm not saying sexual abuse, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's hit kids before behind closed doors.

Edited by d4rksabre

Yes. I'm not going any further than that. Well, maybe I am. I'm not saying sexual abuse, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's hit kids before behind closed doors.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. 

I'll say this: I'd never have a kid of mine playing for a buffoon like that. Never.

I'll add this for context: Ray coaches rec-level soccer at his kid's school, and, in my experience in the league, he is a very good and decent sort of coach in that setting. (Disclaimer: It's rec level soccer, and it's not the sport that Ray played. But, even so.)

Peters spoke to the incident on-air today, sort of. The clip of his audio is apparently here:

http://media.wben.com/a/118547587/andrew-peters-addresses-youth-hockey-brawl.htm

I didn't listen twice, but it's clear that he did not apologize for anything he actually did in terms of laying hands on opposing players. From a legal standpoint, that is understandable. From a PR standpoint, it is a total sh1t show.

Peters spoke about how fighting has no place in youth sports, that the game in question involved a lot of penalties, and that, apparently, he did not adequately instruct/prepare his players with regard to how to conduct themselves in the context of a game.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. 

I'll say this: I'd never have a kid of mine playing for a buffoon like that. Never.

I'll add this for context: Ray coaches rec-level soccer at his kid's school, and, in my experience in the league, he is a very good and decent sort of coach in that setting. (Disclaimer: It's rec level soccer, and it's not the sport that Ray played. But, even so.)

I've always felt that Ray is mostly a gentle giant. Sure, he fought dudes a lot, but I don't think he was particularly spoiling for fights off the ice. 

I get a different impression from Peters though. I've listened to him in different contexts and he just comes off as an immature blowhard who still thinks he's in the game or something. That 40 year old dude swearing at kids at high school football games (that he goes to even though he doesn't have kids of his own) because the last cool thing he ever did was play high school football, ya know? 

Edited by d4rksabre

At this point I'm more worried we're going to find out Peters was abusing the kids he was coaching. I get that vibe from him...

Dude, people have been booted from here for those kind of accusations. Unless you have proof, I wouldn't throw that kind of talk around.

Anyways, Peters is a moron for losing his cool. The refs and kids need to sort that out, no place for a coach to do that. Shove, punch, or bad breath knocking that kid over, he should be done and it's a bad look for WGR to have him on the radio today.

I've always felt that Ray is mostly a gentle giant. Sure, he fought dudes a lot, but I don't think he was particularly spoiling for fights off the ice. 

I get a different impression from Peters though. I've listened to him in different contexts and he just comes off as an immature blowhard who still thinks he's in the game or something. That 40 year old dude swearing at kids at high school football games (that he goes to even though he doesn't have kids of his own) because the last cool thing he ever did was play high school football, ya know? 

Yep, yep, and yep.

Ray was an every time I met him, whether he was playing and I was a kid or he wasn't and we were both adults. He may be a gentle giant, but he's also a douche. 

Dude, people have been booted from here for those kind of accusations. Unless you have proof, I wouldn't throw that kind of talk around.

Anyways, Peters is a moron for losing his cool. The refs and kids need to sort that out, no place for a coach to do that. Shove, punch, or bad breath knocking that kid over, he should be done and it's a bad look for WGR to have him on the radio today.

Well, wait a second. Peters violently shoved/punched/chucked a 15 year-old kid over the weekend. It's not unfair to infer from that, albeit fairly speculatively, that, as a coach, he may not be shy about laying hands on his players.

And, if you've met Peters or spent time near/around him, the impression he gives would tend to further substantiate the theory.

The stuff to which you allude was much more in the realm of total speculation, with absolutely no basis in fact.

Ray was an ###### every time I met him, whether he was playing and I was a kid or he wasn't and we were both adults. He may be a gentle giant, but he's also a douche. 

Yeesh. All I can say is that I disagree. He's got a blunt and somewhat direct manner about him, but he's always been a genuine and good dude when I've dealt with him.

Full disclosure: Ray may have tracked down my crew 2 years ago as we left his kid's school grounds in order to congratulate my kid on a "helluva game." That went a long, long way with me.

D4rk clarified his position a few posts after the one you quoted.

I don't think Peters should be within 10 miles of a hockey rink.  I was very surprised he was a coach of the Jr. Sabres.  I mean what the heck, no one else available?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.