Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

Well, I don't think DW will get the final call on any of the picks -- I think McD will.

Also, I'm sure DW wants to keep working in the NFL, and intentionally making bad picks for the Bills on his way out the door would hurt his future prospects.  OTOH, if the Bills have a great draft this year, he can include it in his resume.

If Whalley already knows where he'll end up next - likely running the scouting department for somebody & being the GM in waiting for somebody, it wouldn't necessarily matter how this draft goes. Butler knew he was going to San Diego. Didn't give 2 ##### about getting good players for Buffalo.

If Whalley already knows where he'll end up next - likely running the scouting department for somebody & being the GM in waiting for somebody, it wouldn't necessarily matter how this draft goes. Butler knew he was going to San Diego. Didn't give 2 ##### about getting good players for Buffalo.

Butler was a really good GM who had options available.  DW is going to have a much harder time finding a job.

He's never going to get another GM job. I'd bet anything on that

Never say never, but I agree that it won't happen anytime soon.

Taro is right though that he could end up with a pretty highly-placed position with another team (maybe back with the Steelers?).  And it's reasonably likely that he's seen the writing on the wall and started conversations to line something up. 

Either way, though, it would be a foolish long-term move for him to sabotage this draft for the Bills. 

A job? As in any job? I totally disagree there. He'll easily find a spot in a pro personnel department.

I agree that he'll be able to get a job -- I meant that he'll have a hard time finding a senior "GM in waiting" job like the one Taro mentioned.

Never say never, but I agree that it won't happen anytime soon.

Taro is right though that he could end up with a pretty highly-placed position with another team (maybe back with the Steelers?). And it's reasonably likely that he's seen the writing on the wall and started conversations to line something up.

Either way, though, it would be a foolish long-term move for him to sabotage this draft for the Bills.

I agree that he'll be able to get a job -- I meant that he'll have a hard time finding a senior "GM in waiting" job like the one Taro mentioned.

Gotcha. Then we are in agreement.

Butler was a really good GM who had options available.  DW is going to have a much harder time finding a job.

'GM in waiting' was too strong a term, but to say he could have the inside track to replace the next GM he works for wouldn't be. There will be several teams that will want him in their personnel department.

And if he is on his way out the door, he could definitely cause mischief that would damage the Bills for a long time w/out being "blatent" about it. There's a lot of downside to having him involved in the war room if he won't be in Buffalo next week & not much upside to having him there if he knows he's on the way out.

& McDermott might be a great coach, but I'd prefer not to have a 1st time head coach running the draft. Better him than Mr Toronto series but it overall, not good.

A) no surprise, I agree with Taro, he will get a pretty "high-ranking" job soon

B) although no one seems to be acknowledging it, it is pretty normal for scouts and personnel people to be retained till after draft. If the Bills scouts know they are being fired, it's probably because guys in Carolina and Philadelphia know they are coming.

Derrik Klassen Retweeted Derrik Klassen

Thoughts on my top 10 QBs are in this thread. Spent 5-15 minutes talking about all of them.

Derrik Klassen added,

Derrik Klassen @QBKlass
Replying to @QBKlass
It's officially here! My top quarterback in this class is.... DeShone Kizer, Notre Dame -- QB1 https://bumpers.fm/e/b3n72n8j6s1g012ctojg 

If you're interested in a QB, give these a listen.

'GM in waiting' was too strong a term, but to say he could have the inside track to replace the next GM he works for wouldn't be. There will be several teams that will want him in their personnel department.

And if he is on his way out the door, he could definitely cause mischief that would damage the Bills for a long time w/out being "blatent" about it. There's a lot of downside to having him involved in the war room if he won't be in Buffalo next week & not much upside to having him there if he knows he's on the way out.

& McDermott might be a great coach, but I'd prefer not to have a 1st time head coach running the draft. Better him than Mr Toronto series but it overall, not good.

I've been wondering this with every comment I've seen about McDermott running the show.  How on earth does a first time coach wind up getting so much power (if we are to believe some of these stories)?  I can never see that happen, especially if you believe the previous guy burned you during his brief tenure.

I've been wondering this with every comment I've seen about McDermott running the show.  How on earth does a first time coach wind up getting so much power (if we are to believe some of these stories)?  I can never see that happen, especially if you believe the previous guy burned you during his brief tenure.

Are you back? Please say yes. 

Will today be the day the Bills try to join the 21st century of professional football?

Probably not. They'll take an "impact" player who contributes a third of a win cumulatively over the course of the season.

Oh god, draft speak. impact player, high motor, cerebral...gag! For those of you who watch the draft tonight, drink every time one of these words are spoken. For every player who is referred to as a Stud, finish your drink. I left out a bunch of those awful draft clichés, feel free to add to them.

Oh god, draft speak. impact player, high motor, cerebral...gag! For those of you who watch the draft tonight, drink every time one of these words are spoken. For every player who is referred to as a Stud, finish your drink. I left out a bunch of those awful draft clichés, feel free to add to them.

'Can't miss ' 

Here you go

Football IQ.

Drink!!

Aw shiit!t, we could do this all day.

Anyone who adheres to this is going to be unconscious by the 9th pick. On the bright side, you won't see how badly the bills screw up.

Will today be the day the Bills try to join the 21st century of professional football?

Probably not. They'll take an "impact" player who contributes a third of a win cumulatively over the course of the season.

I've come around to this line of thought. It's part of the reason that the pundit rankings all seem so group-think-stupid.

So many pundits still squawking: There's not a QB in this class "worthy" of a 1st round pick, and certainly not within the top 10.

Based on what? How good they foobaw? I feel like most of the analysis that's done takes place in a vacuum relative to the value that a player can potentially have for a team that selects him.

Trubisky isn't a first round talent. Because he doesn't throw a perfect deep ball. Because he can't lift a lot or run super fast. Yet, if Trubisky can simply translate his skills of accuracy and good decision making to the pros, he'd unquestionably be worth any team's top pick.

I just. I just don't get it anymore.

I don't mind the cliches as much as I mistrust the group-think.

Edited by That Aud Smell