Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

Yeah well you're gonna get Kelly and you're gonna like it. 

I will literally become a Falcons fan if we draft Kelly at #10. My promise to football Gods. 

I defied WC and answered in the other thread. He can't keep me down!

Kizer > Mahomes > Watson > Trubisky.

I would literally draft Mahomes, Watson or Trubisky over Kizer at 10. I wouldn't touch Kizer at 10. Guy has a high ceiling sure, but his floor is basement level. 

Or with their own or with the one from Dallas, yeah.  But I don't want them taking him any higher than fifth.

But there'd be something special on the very off chance he could be the QB his uncle was by using the Cheatriots late round pick to grab him.

Hey, Bill, you could've snuck your next Brady but instead you wanted a back up RB. Of course, the more likely scenario in that case is Kelly being a headcase causes him to bust & both McCoy & Blount go down w/ knee injuries week 2 & then Gillislee rushes for 1,200 & Williams only gets 600. It would be the Billsy way for things to work out. :angry:

I will literally become a Falcons fan if we draft Kelly at #10. My promise to football Gods.

I would literally draft Mahomes, Watson or Trubisky over Kizer at 10. I wouldn't touch Kizer at 10. Guy has a high ceiling sure, but his floor is basement level.

I blame it all on Brian Kelly!

Honestly, I think Trubisky is the only one with a reasonably high floor. I just also think his ceiling is the lowest.

And that's the rub with this class, and why most fans hate it: there's no total package. Each one has attractive qualities, but you don't look at any of them and say "Hey, there's no real weakness here." Also why Cleveland wants to take one at 12 or move up, but doesn't want to do it at #1.

I know the risk, but I think one or two of these guys is gonna turn out to be really good, and I'd like the Bills to be one of the teams that tries to pick the right one.

But there'd be something special on the very off chance he could be the QB his uncle was by using the Cheatriots late round pick to grab him.

Hey, Bill, you could've snuck your next Brady but instead you wanted a back up RB. Of course, the more likely scenario in that case is Kelly being a headcase causes him to bust & both McCoy & Blount go down w/ knee injuries week 2 & then Gillislee rushes for 1,200 & Williams only gets 600. It would be the Billsy way for things to work out. :angry:

Or NE takes him in the fourth, Brady goes down, and Kelly leads them to a Super Bowl.

I hear the bills want Trubisky and will trade up to #5 to get him. 

Sullivan today wrote about how the rap on Watson is his accuracy and decision-making, but that the same things were said about Dak Prescott. 

Setting aside my belief that Prescott will regress, I am done with the drafting of QBs based on any "oooh ahhh" measurables. Anyone recall Buddy Nix getting giddy about the size of EJ's hands?

The NFL is an astonishingly weird operation when it comes to QBs: Just about all of the truly effective QBs are not amazing physical specimens or elite athletic playmaking types. There are exceptions, sure -- but they tend to prove the rule (and they also tend to adjust their game so that they become more effective decision-makers).

All of which is to say, the thing I hear about the Trubisky guy is that he's not going to overwhelm anyone with his tools, but he's accurate and makes good decisions in a pro-style pass offence.

Yes, please. I'll take a shot with that guy. If he doesn't pan out, then the team can take another shot in three years.

I don't see this schedule as being easy in any way. The defense is really gonna have to come thru to have any success this season.

The QB's the Bills will be facing are a pretty good bunch. T. Brady (2x), M. Ryan, D. Carr, C. Newton, D. Brees, P. Rivers and A. Luck. Even R. Tannehill (2x), A. Dalton, A. Smith and J. Winston can not be taken lightly. That leaves the 2 games vs the Jets and the game against the Broncos where the Bills won't be facing an established starting QB. 

Didn't all of these guys win fewer games than we did last year? 

Meh. We're goin 10-6 and getting that wild card spot baby.

It sure looks like Whaley is going to get canned after the draft:  http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/26/bills-scouts-bracing-for-a-post-draft-house-cleaning/

Per a league source, the team’s scouts are bracing for job changes after the draft. As one scout explained it, “We are all getting fired next week.”

In response to that claim, the Bills provided to PFT the following statement: “Right now, our focus is on the preparation for this week’s draft. Like every year, evaluations of our player personnel staff take place following the draft. And this year will be no different.”

What's the rationale of letting lame duck scouts make decisions?

One would assume they weren't supposed to know :lol:

Really though, I doubt it's a big deal in practice. All of the real work is already done, and it's not like they'll be making the picks unsupervised. Plus they're professionals, intentionally sabotaging your employer probably wouldn't be a great item on the ol' resume.

Thought the same thing.

It's not quite like players who have nothing to play for: They're always looking to put positive plays "on film" or "on tape," as we often hear.

But scouts and FO types? Why wouldn't they skew their recommendations a little -- hold something back on a sleeper they really like from a D-2 school, etc.?

Yeah, sure they've put a ton of effort into this draft. They should've have all been fire in January 

It's in the first paragraph of the article freeman linked to:

Although plenty of teams react to a bad season by dumping front-office employees in January, the more sensible approach is to wait until after the draft. That’s when the bulk of the work has ended, and it also prevents the scout from taking to a new team the fruits of the labor performed on the prior employer’s nickel.

Although plenty of teams react to a bad season by dumping front-office employees in January, the more sensible approach is to wait until after the draft. That’s when the bulk of the work has ended, and it also prevents the scout from taking to a new team the fruits of the labor performed on the prior employer’s nickel.

Hmmm, guess I'm wrong on this one. Point - Pegula

Edited by WildCard

Fair feckin' point.

The risk I identified above pales in comparison to sending your people packing so that they can go help draft for someone else.

Keeping lame duck scouts around makes sense.

Keeping lame duck GM's around (as n's speculation suggests) makes no sense at all & results in drafts like the Flowers draft.

Well, I don't think DW will get the final call on any of the picks -- I think McD will.

Also, I'm sure DW wants to keep working in the NFL, and intentionally making bad picks for the Bills on his way out the door would hurt his future prospects.  OTOH, if the Bills have a great draft this year, he can include it in his resume.