Claude Julien Fired

WildCard

All conventional thinking screams to stay the course.

But Tim Murray certainly has shown a propensity to go big or go home.

If he has any doubts about Dan, if he believes Claude is elite, you need to strike while the iron is hot.

If there ever was a time for ZFG, this is it.

If he has any doubts about Dan, if he believes Claude is elite, you need to strike while the iron is hot.

Well said.

Except he's not calling the shots in our flat management structure where nobody has a monopoly on hockey knowledge. If you really think Murray has the authority to shitcan DB and hire CJ without Terry and Russ signing off I'd say you're mistaken.

Except he's not calling the shots in our flat management structure where nobody has a monopoly on hockey knowledge. If you really think Murray has the authority to shitcan DB and hire CJ without Terry and Russ signing off I'd say you're mistaken.

I would expect the owner of any NHL team would have to sign off on the firing of a coach.

Does GMTM have full control of the coaching situation?  

Or is he at the mercy of Terry (like Whaley)?

Terry, Kim, and Russ most likely. I really doubt Murray has the ability to make a move like that without their approval. 

I would expect the owner of any NHL team would have to sign off on the firing of a coach.

I imagine some GM's have the authority to do so and others get to make the decision but have to let the owner know first just to keep them in the loop rather than having to ask permission.

Does GMTM have full control of the coaching situation?  

Or is he at the mercy of Terry (like Whaley)?

Hmmmm.

*SIgh*

Yeah.

Maybe. But where's that quote from Nashville GM, who talked about how he had to figure out how to explain to his owner, after the fact, that he had traded away the face of the franchise?

So everyone knows this isn't really happening right? When has a major league sports team ever fired a coach because another became available mid-season?

Never.

Which means: IT'S (OVER!) DUE TO HAPPEN!

So everyone knows this isn't really happening right? When has a major league sports team ever fired a coach because another became available mid-season?

Well not midseason, but before the end and with a coach in place, Joe Maddon and the Cubs

I have to believe the situation has been discussed prior to the Julien firing.  If we're talking about it, they should be.

Thoughts:
- Claude Julien is a very good and very structured coach. 

- He's had less and less to work with as the years have gone on. Look at their defense. Just look at it. The depth isn't there in the forward ranks either. Beastly forward Bergeron has been off all season, and has fewer points than Sam Reinhart. Jimmy Hayes played 35 straight games in their top nine without registering a point. They have 3 #7-8 defensemen dressing and playing with an old Chara, a rookie who is pretty good, and Torey Krug. 

- He has them playing the best possession hockey in the league, with the second-worst PDO. The goaltending isn't there and the skill to finish hasn't been there outside of two players, 63 and 88. 

- His power plays are regularly awful. Sometimes really good, like last year I think it was? But terrible this year. And didn't they only score 2 power play goals during their entire cup run?

- Great PK this year. Top 10 2 of the past 4 seasons, and still higher than 15th the other two.

- Puck. Support. It's why they possess the puck. 
- I drool imagining ROR and Samson playing that type of system.

- How is he with the young guys? Tyler Seguin not fitting in? Pastrnak is getting opportunities and flourishing, though. 

This probably isn't going to happen for us, obviously. Florida literally doesn't have a coach right now, so that's an option for him. Mayyyyyyyybe if he wants to wait for the offseason, but that would require Murray being done with Dan, and I don't think that's close to the truth. Murray sounds content, and not ready to admit to being a seller, for some stupid reason. Even though his team has been bad all season, when injured or healthy. And by not firing Dan mid-season to hire Claude, he's simply continuing what is normal behavior in the NHL, can't get on him for that. Though, didn't the Ducks fire their coach and hire Boudreau in the middle of the season after Boudreau was let go by the Caps?

Some team is going to be very pleased.

- How is he with the young guys? Tyler Seguin not fitting in? Pastrnak is getting opportunities and flourishing, though. 

Fwiw, I saw a Tweet to the effect that the FO people hinted today that Julien's refusal to play or give larger roles to young players was part of the reason for moving on from him.

I don't think that was in any way meant as a shot re Seguin. But ... if Julien had a hand or role in that deal, that should count as a major strike against him.

Fwiw, I saw a Tweet to the effect that the FO people hinted today that Julien's refusal to play or give larger roles to young players was part of the reason for moving on from him.

I don't think that was in any way meant as a shot re Seguin. But ... if Julien had a hand or role in that deal, that should count as a major strike against him.

he would have no choice here...what would he do....not play Eichel, Reinhart, or Risto?

Thoughts:

- Claude Julien is a very good and very structured coach. 

- He's had less and less to work with as the years have gone on. Look at their defense. Just look at it. The depth isn't there in the forward ranks either. Beastly forward Bergeron has been off all season, and has fewer points than Sam Reinhart. Jimmy Hayes played 35 straight games in their top nine without registering a point. They have 3 #7-8 defensemen dressing and playing with an old Chara, a rookie who is pretty good, and Torey Krug. 

- He has them playing the best possession hockey in the league, with the second-worst PDO. The goaltending isn't there and the skill to finish hasn't been there outside of two players, 63 and 88. 

- His power plays are regularly awful. Sometimes really good, like last year I think it was? But terrible this year. And didn't they only score 2 power play goals during their entire cup run?

- Great PK this year. Top 10 2 of the past 4 seasons, and still higher than 15th the other two.

- Puck. Support. It's why they possess the puck. 

- I drool imagining ROR and Samson playing that type of system.

This probably isn't going to happen for us, obviously. Florida literally doesn't have a coach right now, so that's an option for him. Mayyyyyyyybe if he wants to wait for the offseason, but that would require Murray being done with Dan, and I don't think that's close to the truth. Murray sounds content, and not ready to admit to being a seller, for some stupid reason. Even though his team has been bad all season, when injured or healthy. And by not firing Dan mid-season to hire Claude, he's simply continuing what is normal behavior in the NHL, can't get on him for that. Though, didn't the Ducks fire their coach and hire Boudreau in the middle of the season after Boudreau was let go by the Caps?

Some team is going to be very pleased.

Randall, why can't it be us for once? Why aren't we going for a coach of his caliber? Again, I am not sure what GMTM sees in Dan that we aren't seeing. I agree with a previous post that playoff money would lessen the beat down of cutting DD early. Do you alienate and frustrate Jack even more? He's got talent but I do think it is being stifled by this system that we play. I believe if we don't step up soon someone will beat us to the punch once again (see Babcock) Hell GMTM was willing to waste a draft pick aggressively pursuing the right to speak with Jimmy Vesey. Be aggressive and hungry for once. I know it's been a long time since we've seen that in these parts. To me, this season as it stands now, is toast. Nothing to lose as far as I'm concerned.

I always got the impression the Seguin trade was mostly about management getting tired of hearing about the partying and whatnot. I mean, Julien had him playing with Bergeron, not exactly an unimportant role.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.