Deadline Nearly Here! What is GMTM going to do?

GASabresIUFAN

I'd rather no trades than bad ones, we don't really need draft picks at this point. Of course a few of our UFA may now leave for nothing when we could have had picks, but it's hard to say.

What is a bad trade for a losing team to dump UFAs? We aren't re-signing any of these guys, so why not get something for them.

I'm not sure what the issue was, GMTM holding out for stupid value for his bad players or his players being so bad no one wanted them at any price?

What is a bad trade for a losing team to dump UFAs? We aren't re-signing any of these guys, so why not get something for them.

I'm not sure what the issue was, GMTM holding out for stupid value for his bad players or his players being so bad no one wanted them at any price?

I think the problem might be that most of our UFA aren't playing that well, and the ones that are playing well like Kane he probably (rightly) asked a ton for. I mean maybe someone could hope Kulikov or Franson will be a good depth D, but if 

My takeway from Murray's presser is that he knows he has plenty of time to work with — apparently it's 18 years, or 26 if your kid is on your insurance. Sad!

This is a guy who has truly grown fat and lazy before our very eyes. Remember the old Murray, even before the whirlwind moves of early to mid 2015?

“When you tear it down, it doesn’t happen overnight. I don’t buy into five-year rebuilds. I think when you use terminology like that as a GM you’re really setting yourself up for a long run if your owner buys into that. I could sit here and say it’s a seven-year rebuild and hopefully I get 10 years out of it. But that’s not reality and not what I want anyway. I want to rebuild here properly, which takes time. But it doesn’t have to take years.”

—April 16, 2014

Murray has become the GM in his hypothetical answer — and it's not just today, the man has been asleep at the switch for months. And now the hope tank, in Lindy's lexicon, is desperately low. The defense of this coaching staff plunges it farther toward middle earth.

At least Tim did mention the fans. That's right, we're over here, helloooo. What do we look forward to now other than the obligatory ticket price increases that some suit will claim is mandated by the league. Tank low, over-fracked.

One more thing. What has Murray done to earn the right to sit there and be so glib and come off as such a smartass? Honestly.

I'll hang up, take my leave again, and not listen.

Edited by PASabreFan

My takeway from Murray's presser is that he knows he has plenty of time to work with — apparently it's 18 years, or 26 if your kid is on your insurance. Sad!

This is a guy who has truly grown fat and lazy before our very eyes. Remember the old Murray, even before the whirlwind moves of early to mid 2015?

“When you tear it down, it doesn’t happen overnight. I don’t buy into five-year rebuilds. I think when you use terminology like that as a GM you’re really setting yourself up for a long run if your owner buys into that. I could sit here and say it’s a seven-year rebuild and hopefully I get 10 years out of it. But that’s not reality and not what I want anyway. I want to rebuild here properly, which takes time. But it doesn’t have to take years.”

—April 16, 2014

Murray has become the GM in his hypothetical answer — and it's not just today, the man has been asleep at the switch for months. And now the hope tank, in Lindy's lexicon, is desperately low. The defense of this coaching staff plunges it farther toward middle earth.

At least Tim did mention the fans. That's right, we're over here, helloooo. What do we look forward to now other than the obligatory ticket price increases that some suit will claim is mandated by the league. Tank low, over-fracked.

One more thing. What has Murray done to earn the right to sit there and be so glib and come off as such a smartass? Honestly.

I missed you. :wub:

Edited by dudacek

—April 16, 2014

Welcome back!  Stated perfectly some of my thoughts.  Great post!

My take on today's GMTM presser (putting what I believe to be his internal monologue in quotes): "I legit did not want to do the paperwork required for the return I'd get on the UFA d-men. Kane is getting traded so hard this offseason, just you wait. Who gave some of you press passes, no I'm not going to stand here and call guys worthless while you record it."

In other words: meh. I have no doubt that this will be an interesting and quite possibly angst-filled summer.

—April 16, 2014

Sobering stuff. Good post.

—April 16, 2014

Your correct.

It's looking more and more like the same ole' same ole'.

So many have said it over my 46 years on this earth. And so many more will continue to say it.........it's Buffalo's sports mantra.............

"There's Always Next Year"

Ssshhhhhhhhhh........I think I here Terry whispering that under a low muffled chuckle as he saunters into his Bank with that bag of gate receipts.......sssshhhhhhh

Ssshhhhhhhhhh........I think I here Terry whispering that under a low muffled chuckle as he saunters into his Bank with that bag of gate receipts.......sssshhhhhhh

Do you think TP is making money on the Sabres?

I would bet that he's lost millions.

Then there are GMs like Stan Bowman - who start in July, and in the fall sign top shelf coaching like Joe Quenneville, and win the first Stanley Cup literally 10 months after beginning as GM. 

Or there's an owner like Rocky Wirtz who took over a basically rock bottom team in October 2007.  In 1 1/2 years, under his ownership, the team made the conference finals.  In 2 1/2 years, they won their first Stanley Cup.

It can be done.  Just not in Buffalo, and not with meddling ineffective committee based ownership like Kim and Terry Pegula - who are now 6+ years and counting as Sabres owners, and GM Tim Murray will be finishing his 3rd season as GM and the team likely won't even SNIFF at a wildcard berth. 

—April 16, 2014

Literally nothing.  

—April 16, 2014

Didja hear that the kids are fragile?

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Do you think TP is making money on the Sabres?

I would bet that he's lost millions.

Most owners make the majority of their money from the team's appreciation in value over time (sell price - purchase price) rather than year to year profits though.

I agree that he's likely operating in the red but with tv and merchandise deals in set contracts, a waiting list for STH's, and several years where they were closer to the cap floor than the ceiling I don't think he's hemorrhaging money.

Edited by Drunkard

Wow, what a big pile of nothing.

There were literally three players that moved today that I would have been interested in at all.

And all three - Lazar, Davidson and Jokkipakka - were fringe guys on their current teams who were basically rolls of the dice.

Most owners make the majority of their money from the team's appreciation in value over time (sell price - purchase price) rather than year to year profits though.

I agree that he's likely operating in the red but with tv and merchandise deals in set contracts, a waiting list for STH's, and several years where they were closer to the cap floor than the ceiling I don't think he's hemorrhaging money.

I generally agree with you. My point was just that Scotty seems to think that TP is laughing his way to the bank, having made millions by icing a crappy team -- and that this is way off.