Deadline Nearly Here! What is GMTM going to do?

GASabresIUFAN

I think the questions that are on everyone's mind are, is Bob Corkum available, and how soon can he be on a plane?

:lol: :lol:

It sounds closer than it is. I don't have the numbers handy, but the Sabres are at the point where they have to start winning something like 2 of every 3 games for the rest of the season to get to the mid-90s in points, where 8th usually falls. I have no reason to believe they're going to start winning at that pace for 2 months. I'm pretty sure they're not even going to go out and win at that pace for the next 2 weeks.

I'm not saying fire sale, but if a good deal comes along to get a solid prospect for one of our older players, I'd be listening.

Agreed and considering the Sabres have to climb 5 teams and combat the challenge of teams getting 1 point for losses and shootouts, it's time for GMTM to sell.

Here's my question, since this year's draft is apparently pretty crap does GMTM insist on 2018 picks in return?  Generally you get a premium if you're willing to wait a year but if the consensus is that 2017 is a crap draft class that might not apply. If I could get 3 twos this year could I get 3 1's next year instead?  How does 2019's class look?  I'm serious.

Again, working on the premise that 2017's draft class is weak does GMTM try to include this year's #1 in a deal where he'd get back next year's #1 from someone as a piece of the deal?

Good question. I think that is true, it gives teams flexibility this year and Sabres have two second and two thirds as is.

As for the 2019 draft- not sure about it ranks up against 2018 draft, but this may make you feel old... remember NHLers Todd Bertuzzi and Nik Antropov? .... their sons are in the 2019 draft, as is Joe Sakic's and Doug Weight's.

It sounds closer than it is. I don't have the numbers handy, but the Sabres are at the point where they have to start winning something like 2 of every 3 games for the rest of the season to get to the mid-90s in points, where 8th usually falls. I have no reason to believe they're going to start winning at that pace for 2 months. I'm pretty sure they're not even going to go out and win at that pace for the next 2 weeks.

I'm not saying fire sale, but if a good deal comes along to get a solid prospect for one of our older players, I'd be listening.

There are 27 games left in the season and 8 more games until the trade deadline.  

To get to a 96 point pace season and be in the running for the last playoff spot, the Sabres would need to win 10 in a row at some point and play at a 96 point pace the other 17 games (i.e. 1.17 pts/game).  

Yeah, they're selling. 

The only reason the team is getting points at all right now is that Lehner is playing out of his mind and Kane has been a force. Beyond that, this team is getting absolutely buried in shots on goal and scoring chances game after game. For the season only Arizona has a worse shots for vs. shots against differential. It's disheartening. 

If Franson is out for 2-3 weeks as has been reported -- no one is going to give up a #2 for him.

I disagree.  If you find the right taker who needs the help on the PP, he still could fashion a 2nd.  Either way, you take what you can and move on.  

There are 27 games left in the season and 8 more games until the trade deadline.  

To get to a 96 point pace season and be in the running for the last playoff spot, the Sabres would need to win 10 in a row at some point and play at a 96 point pace the other 17 games (i.e. 1.17 pts/game).  

Yeah, they're selling. 

The only reason the team is getting points at all right now is that Lehner is playing out of his mind and Kane has been a force. Beyond that, this team is getting absolutely buried in shots on goal and scoring chances game after game. For the season only Arizona has a worse shots for vs. shots against differential. It's disheartening. 

Exactly, keep our forward units (yes Kane- he seems healthy now) They are starting to mesh a little more. Keep our goaltenders (I like both and they have played better then we expected I'm guessing- despite the disappointing shoot out results) We need some help on D and that won't be easy to get without giving something valuable in return. Get rid of the head coach. We need a coach who has a more "dynamic vision" for this club. Who coaches quick breakouts utilizing the defense and more offensive zone pressure. No backing off when establishing a decent lead either. I think we have the forwards to achieve this, just not the right coach.

Injury only changes Franson's value if there is uncertainty about the severity - ie if he is not back on the ice prior to the deadline, when the type of injury says he should be. I'd be more concerned with Kulikov. His injury has been nagging all year.

A sellers market and a supposedly weak draft could make things interesting this year.

Edited by dudacek

How bout we just sign Nillson??  Why the hell do we have to keep playing musical goalies every year with the backups?  Find a guy that can be a viable fill in and sign him for a few years.  Is GMTM determined to get a backup that eventually sucks so Lehner is forced to play 65 games a year??

Move Kulikov and Franson.  

No idea why Ghule is stuck in juniors when he would be the 3rd best DMan on the team right now and we could desperately use his puck-moving and skating ability back there...

How bout we just sign Nillson??  Why the hell do we have to keep playing musical goalies every year with the backups?  Find a guy that can be a viable fill in and sign him for a few years.  Is GMTM determined to get a backup that eventually sucks so Lehner is forced to play 65 games a year??

Move Kulikov and Franson.  

No idea why Ghule is stuck in juniors when he would be the 3rd best DMan on the team right now and we could desperately use his puck-moving and skating ability back there...

I think this has been settled -- the Sabres can only call him up from juniors due to an emergency rash of injuries.

I think this has been settled -- the Sabres can only call him up from juniors due to an emergency rash of injuries.

After much research and discussion,  Guhle, had he made the team out of camp, could be here now, but since he was sent down to start the season he can only be recalled in an emergency or after his Jr season (including playoffs) is complete.

After much research and discussion,  Guhle, had he made the team out of camp, could be here now, but since he was sent down to start the season he can only be recalled in an emergency or after his Jr season (including playoffs) is complete.

Sabres have to internally be kicking themselves with how the D has played this year, and with how he played when called up...

Edited by matter2003

He was not ready

I agree,  I went back at look at what Pysyk and McCabe weighed when they were drafted and then what they weighed when they finally made the Sabres and each guy gained well over 20 lbs.  I think the guys need that extra muscle mass just to try to stand up to the physical pounding D take in the NHL.  

Guhle seems to be about 1/2 through that kind of physical development.  He was 6'2 184 when drafted.  He is now list at 6'3 193,  I figure he'll be over 200 lbs by next camp.  Add the added muscle to the guy who was already a workout wonder and he should be ready for at least the physical part of the NHL.   

He was not ready

I agree,  I went back at look at what Pysyk and McCabe weighed when they were drafted and then what they weighed when they finally made the Sabres and each guy gained well over 20 lbs.  I think the guys need that extra muscle mass just to try to stand up to the physical pounding D take in the NHL.  

Guhle seems to be about 1/2 through that kind of physical development.  He was 6'2 184 when drafted.  He is now list at 6'3 193,  I figure he'll be over 200 lbs by next camp.  Add the added muscle to the guy who was already a workout wonder and he should be ready for at least the physical part of the NHL.   

The people who pushed to bring Guhle in full-time this year drove me crazy.  There's a huge chasm between looking good in a handful of NHL games and surviving an 82 game season as a teenager.

Lehner cuz he piped up after the game or Jack because he hasn't learned how to use teammates. :D

:D

I was thinking Franson for a conditional 3rd

Of course I don't seriously put much stock in to a player sounding off out of frustration, but just for fun lets say the Pens are looking to trade with us. Fluery? Would it even be thinkable to bring in Fluery?

Of course I don't seriously put much stock in to a player sounding off out of frustration, but just for fun lets say the Pens are looking to trade with us. Fluery? Would it even be thinkable to bring in Fluery?

I don't even want to think about that. 

His cap hit and his relationship with DD lead me to a giant nope on this

Yeah, they're selling. 

Thanks for the numbers. I'll add another of my own: if I'm reading that right, they need(ed) 40 points in 27 games to get to 96. If you run that over the entire season, that's 121 points., or a record of something like 50-11-21. Does this team look like they can sustain a that's better than the last few President's Trophy Winners for two months?

I'm beginning to think this trade deadline could be a dud. Franson hurt, Kulikov only partially healthy. Moulson, Bogo and Gorges on bad contracts. Kane playing to well to be traded. Cap and expansion strapped teams (like Anaheim).

Seriously who is left to trade? Are we selling RfA's Girgensons or Foligno? I doubt it. Do we want to move Gionta and they try to bring him back? Maybe. Nilsson? I think he is worth keeping as insurance against Ullmark being lost to expansion.

I'm beginning to think this trade deadline could be a dud. Franson hurt, Kulikov only partially healthy. Moulson, Bogo and Gorges on bad contracts. Kane playing to well to be traded. Cap and expansion strapped teams (like Anaheim).

Seriously who is left to trade? Are we selling RfA's Girgensons or Foligno? I doubt it. Do we want to move Gionta and they try to bring him back? Maybe. Nilsson? I think he is worth keeping as insurance against Ullmark being lost to expansion.

I think anyone would be amiss if they were expecting a significant splash from Murray at the deadline. I do think anyone in our bottom six forwards and defencemen not named Risto or McCabe will be in play. I personally think once March 1st comes to an end Franson and Gio will be gone, maybe one other forward and the return will be way less than what I'd imagine (which is fair, because as a fan I overvalue our players).