Expansion Draft -- Sabres moves and speculation

SabresBaltimore

Dreger: "I checked in on Evander Kane yesterday, and it doesn't sound like there's a whole lot going on there." #Sabres

I don't really want to lose Lehner. That said Kane and Lehner were probably the top two 'Murray's guys'. Sadly Murray and I both liked them. Kane I enjoy watching but wouldn't mind trading to help the defence. I would keep Reinhart unless something very nice comes up. Nylander I hope turns out to be worth it (I would have taken Sergy this that pick - the now TBL Dman)

Interesting thought experiment--what would people hate more: Kane-Tanev, or Reinhart-Tanev?

I wouldn't hate Kane-Tanev, I would hate the other one.

Hi guys - the Reinhart stretch I went through was not while he was at center, it was a 22 game stretch during which Hammy was bitching about his work ethic. I never did the numbers while he was at center, but I do know that he played center less often than he was either a left wing or being centered by Girgensons, Cal O'Reilly, or Larsson (read, not Eichel or ROR). He hasn't even scratched the surface of his development there, but he was quite efficient outside of a few gaffs in his own zone. The play flowed through him in a way that it doesn't with any other center on this team, as in, he controlled things even though he rarely possessed the puck while doing so. I want to see that built on. I still remember that Rags game where he had a very nifty zone entry, saw Kane driving the net, and purposely put the puck into Hank's toe so that Kane could bury the rebound, which he did. 

There is MASSIVE growth potential in Sam's game from what we've seen. There is a lot of waste with him right now. I'm scared we trade him for a Vatanen now when his value will increase if he gets used correctly, but it's looking more and more like we may not get to see that. 

nfreeman, this is why I don't want to do Vatanen - I think you're right that if we floated Sam out there now, that's what his value would be seen as by NHL GMs, but I don't think it's very smart to do just yet. Let's get Sam in a possession system and some development time. Either he does what Thorny, dudacek, Liger, me, True etc. expect/hope for, and develops into a 60 point center that can feast on bad matchups, or we see more of the same 45-50 point Sam that we can trade for a Vatanen type later. He's not going to regress barring catastrophe, so I'd really like to hang onto him for now. 

I see where you're going with the Hjalmarsson comparison but I think Vatanen maxes out a full tier below Hammer.

Seeing what Drouin fetched leads me to conclude that Kane would just not be worth all that much, and that the value he'd presumably bring to the Sabres in the coming year would outweigh any likely return (even assuming he walks as a UFA).

Edited by That Aud Smell

Seeing what Drouin fetched leads me to conclude that Kane would just not be worth all that much, and that the value he'd presumably bring to the Sabres in the coming year would outweigh any likely return (even assuming he walks as a UFA).

Regardless I'd still trade him if only to help rid any anti practice sentiment he brings

I really don't see us getting one of the big name Dmen available, in part because I cringe at what I think it will take.

The best chance for the Sabres to acquire a D Man might be making a deal with Vegas to take someone off an expansion list.

Imagine those three will be traded in rapid succession once the first one moves

Given what we know about Botterill, do we think he places much value in a Tanev-type defenceman?

Because I could see something like this happening

Reinhart -> pick 5 (Heiskanen or Makar)

Kane -> Tanev

The Sabres then pick the best forward available with eight to replace Reinhart.

Given what we know about Botterill, do we think he places much value in a Tanev-type defenceman?

Because I could see something like this happening

Reinhart -> pick 5 (Heiskanen or Makar)

Kane -> Tanev

The Sabres then pick the best forward available with eight to replace Reinhart.

This absolutely should happen.

That's a perfect fourth line on a winning team.

I disagree, that's a good third line on a contender as long as fourth line is fast, skilled and young so they become interchangeable as the season progresses. Then a veteran or two are brought in at deadline to make the fourth line the third line and the third line the fourth for a long playoff run

Reinhart was the first forward picked in his draft year. Has he really dropped to being 5th overall in a draft that has weak top end talent?

Trading Reinhart for a #5 in this draft is just setting the team back 3 years. It is like resetting the clock. The talent you would get at #5 this year is equivalent or less than Reinhart. Also we know Reinhart can play NHL hockey because we witnessed him doing it in a craptastic system. We introduce an element of uncertainty with anyone we draft. I wanna see what Sam does under Housley, I think my 60pts is possible and thats beyond solid for an NHL player. 

I wouldn't hate Kane-Tanev, I would hate the other one.Hi guys - the Reinhart stretch I went through was not while he was at center, it was a 22 game stretch during which Hammy was bitching about his work ethic. I never did the numbers while he was at center, but I do know that he played center less often than he was either a left wing or being centered by Girgensons, Cal O'Reilly, or Larsson (read, not Eichel or ROR). He hasn't even scratched the surface of his development there, but he was quite efficient outside of a few gaffs in his own zone. The play flowed through him in a way that it doesn't with any other center on this team, as in, he controlled things even though he rarely possessed the puck while doing so. I want to see that built on. I still remember that Rags game where he had a very nifty zone entry, saw Kane driving the net, and purposely put the puck into Hank's toe so that Kane could bury the rebound, which he did.

There is MASSIVE growth potential in Sam's game from what we've seen. There is a lot of waste with him right now. I'm scared we trade him for a Vatanen now when his value will increase if he gets used correctly, but it's looking more and more like we may not get to see that.

nfreeman, this is why I don't want to do Vatanen - I think you're right that if we floated Sam out there now, that's what his value would be seen as by NHL GMs, but I don't think it's very smart to do just yet. Let's get Sam in a possession system and some development time. Either he does what Thorny, dudacek, Liger, me, True etc. expect/hope for, and develops into a 60 point center that can feast on bad matchups, or we see more of the same 45-50 point Sam that we can trade for a Vatanen type later. He's not going to regress barring catastrophe, so I'd really like to hang onto him for now.

I see where you're going with the Hjalmarsson comparison but I think Vatanen maxes out a full tier below Hammer.

Give this man the ten thousand dollars.

Per McKenzie expects Brodin, Vatanen and Hamonic to be moved

At this point I don't even care which one it is, but we better get one of them

Please let this be so. As long as Reinhart isn't included. I hope it's possible without that.

Edited by Thorny

Who is Chris Nichols? I feel like all he does all day is stalk McKenzie, Dreger and Friedman and posts their comments on twitter. Pretty cool gig.

Chris Nichols lives in his mothers basement  :P

not that there's anything wrong with that.

I'm not backing off the point: you have the wrong window. In fact, I think we both have the wrong window. Dudacek is right that Sams' center stretch came between Bailey and Kane, but Bailey wasn't a regular in the lineup until the end of December. 

Have I mentioned recently I'm terrible with dates? :lol:

We need Flagg. I know he knows this. FLAGG STOP BEING A RESPONSIBLE PERSON AND HELP US ON AN INTERNET FORUM!!!

Probably why you're still single. :p

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.