Expansion Draft -- Sabres moves and speculation

SabresBaltimore

Let's wait and see what we would be giving up before saying that. If it was Tim Murray, we'd probably be handing away a first round pick in that trade.

You're right. I guess I'm assuming that it's not a #1 or a #2, and I'm happy paying anything less than that.

On an EXPANSION team, you really expect that the #3 (or possibly worse depending on who is available next week) goalie is going to be down on the farm making 10x what the rest of the farm hands are getting? That would not help team chemistry at all.

Can't see any way that happens. Also can't see any other GM making a deal to take an unproven guy on a 1 way contract as their backup in a trade w/ Vegas.

Do you see Ullmark being the 2nd best guy that's available to Vegas? Or even him as the 2nd best guy that isn't coming from a team that Vegas desperately wants to take a skater from & therefore passes on the arguably better goalie? They have to take at least 3 goalies; how does he end up clearly the 2nd best of what they grab?

This could be the move that makes Kulikov the Sabre taken in the expansion draft. Though I'd still expect them to take Ennis or w/ a slight sweetener Moulson.

I think that Vegas will probably look to end up with an expensive #1 and a cheap #2.  Out of the cheap #2 guys, as you point out, some will currently be on teams from which Vegas will prefer a different player -- reducing the # of alternatives to Linus.

I also think the $750K isn't that big a deal in terms of locker room discord in the AHL.  If he's in the AHL, Ullmark will probably be one of the best players on the team.  Also, with the MODO seal of approval he's probably a pretty likable guy.

I just don't see them taking on a lousy player on an albatross contract unless they are paid to do so -- so if their choices are Moulson or Ennis with no bribe, or Ullmark, who is young, credentialed, cheap and has upside -- I think they're taking Ullmark.

I think that Vegas will probably look to end up with an expensive #1 and a cheap #2.  Out of the cheap #2 guys, as you point out, some will currently be on teams from which Vegas will prefer a different player -- reducing the # of alternatives to Linus.

I also think the $750K isn't that big a deal in terms of locker room discord in the AHL.  If he's in the AHL, Ullmark will probably be one of the best players on the team.  Also, with the MODO seal of approval he's probably a pretty likable guy.

I just don't see them taking on a lousy player on an albatross contract unless they are paid to do so -- so if their choices are Moulson or Ennis with no bribe, or Ullmark, who is young, credentialed, cheap and has upside -- I think they're taking Ullmark.

Only catch being they have to take on some cap. Doesn't mean from Buffalo but in general. 

I would give them pick #99 for that. Moulson is a good vet and can contribute offense. They need a few of those guys. 

Not unfair. He'd play on their #1 power play most likely -- and he showed last season he can do stuff there.

Personally, I'd like to see what Moulson could do when used properly, I think he still has some tread left.... but not for $5mil/yr.

Looks like we'll eventually get to the point of agreeing to disagree.

I could definitely see Vegas willing to take Ennis or Moulson & (due to the actual cash outlay for Moulson being so much higher than the cap hit) the sweetener necessary on Moulson being lower than we'd expect. I could easily see it being as low as a 4th; possibly even a 5th.

Vegas WILL be bad next year. Ennis could bring some entertainment in a deserved top 2 line role & Moulson would help on the top pp & w/ making it look like their spending money (even though actual outlay will be ~2MM less than cap hit). Since Vegas is an expansion team, those 2 aren't as bad an option as either would be for an established team. Each brings a (limited) skill set that when combined w/ a better goalie than Ullmark likely is more valuable than a 1 way Ullmark & a slightly better (though still flawed) skater from another team.

Looks like we'll eventually get to the point of agreeing to disagree.

I could definitely see Vegas willing to take Ennis or Moulson & (due to the actual cash outlay for Moulson being so much higher than the cap hit) the sweetener necessary on Moulson being lower than we'd expect. I could easily see it being as low as a 4th; possibly even a 5th.

Vegas WILL be bad next year. Ennis could bring some entertainment in a deserved top 2 line role & Moulson would help on the top pp & w/ making it look like their spending money (even though actual outlay will be ~2MM less than cap hit). Since Vegas is an expansion team, those 2 aren't as bad an option as either would be for an established team. Each brings a (limited) skill set that when combined w/ a better goalie than Ullmark likely is more valuable than a 1 way Ullmark & a slightly better (though still flawed) skater from another team.

I tend to agree with you view of this. 

I'm feeling pretty good about Moulson to the Knights for the reasons Taro states above, plus we know McPhee likes Matty.

I think mUrray arranged it and JBots signed off.

Only question is whether it's going to cost more than our extra third.

Taro -- if Vegas takes Moulson or Ennis in exchange for a #3 or better, I'm claiming victory in the disagreement.

Obviously, if there is no sweetener, you win.  I will also stipulate that you win if it's a #5 or #6.

Who wins if it's a #4?

Taro -- if Vegas takes Moulson or Ennis in exchange for a #3 or better, I'm claiming victory in the disagreement.

Obviously, if there is no sweetener, you win.  I will also stipulate that you win if it's a #5 or #6.

Who wins if it's a #4?

Me of course. :p

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.