What are your unpopular hockey opinions?

Randall Flagg

these are all pretty straight forward, but it's the internet so someone is bound to disagree.

-if you break your stick during play, the bench should be allowed to heave a stick onto the ice for you. each team designates one stick-heaver before the game. if said player is on the ice, it has to be the back-up goalie. 

-hitting the crossbar should count as a 1/2 a goal. 

-the puck is an outdated shape and size. should be star-shaped with a ball bearing in the middle like the game crossfire. 

-eliminate zambonis. don't resurface the ice the entire game. play it as it lies.

-each team gets to dress one player in the opponent's uniform as a double agent. he must sit on your bench though.

-every rink contains one pane of actual glass, to be randomized before the start of the game. 

-if two guys receive fighting majors, they have to sit in the same penalty box. 

these are all pretty straight forward, but it's the internet so someone is bound to disagree.

-if you break your stick during play, the bench should be allowed to heave a stick onto the ice for you. each team designates one stick-heaver before the game. if said player is on the ice, it has to be the back-up goalie. 

-the puck is an outdated shape and size. should be star-shaped with a ball bearing in the middle like the game crossfire. 

-eliminate zambonis. don't resurface the ice the entire game. play it as it lies.

-each team gets to dress one player in the opponent's uniform as a double agent. he must sit on your bench though.

-every rink contains one pane of actual glass, to be randomized before the start of the game. 

Awesome.

Great stuff.  

I particularly like the 0.5 goal for hitting the crossbar and making combatants sit in the same box.  

Heaving a stick could be dangerous... i think a better rule would be to allow players to use a broken stick... force them to use the broken stick, no going to the bench.    Imagine Eichel on a breakaway with a mini-stick. 

Great stuff.  

I particularly like the 0.5 goal for hitting the crossbar and making combatants sit in the same box.  

Heaving a stick could be dangerous... i think a better rule would be to allow players to use a broken stick... force them to use the broken stick, no going to the bench.    Imagine Eichel on a breakaway with a mini-stick. 

Like, he'd likely have a regular-length stick at that point. Yeah?

:thumbsup:

The difference between hockey and baseball/football/basketball is that hockey is a much much faster sport, every player is wearing full body armor and carrying a weapon. It's also much harder as a referee to catch every little infraction, especially behind the play (there's only 1 ref in youth/mens leagues).

Over the course of an hour and half after getting cup checked, crossed checked in back, slashed behind the knees, by the same player(s) over and over and over every shift.... I don't care how laid back you are, you'll be pushed beyond your breaking point. You complain to refs, but they can't call what they don't see so when you get your chance to get your shot in, you'll take it.

Or you just get thugs like Chara and Lucic who antagonize during play then do more damage after the whistle. This strategy is only fun if you have the thugs. When it's your stars and good players getting maimed after the whistle, you feel a little different.

The Sabres will make the finals but never win the cup with Eichel. There, I said it. I hope I'm wrong.

Now that's more like it!

Way to get in the spirit!

I hope you're wrong also, the part about not winning the cup. Several trips to the finals and a cup or two would be just Jim Dandy.

I am outraged their is not more love for

the Toronto Maple Leafs . More Love I say

More Love

Good to see you millbank and drop by any time, just leave your Leaves love at the door ...  ;)

Some are expressing some anguish at what seems to be a faster rebuild by your beloved Leafs.

Overtime should be 5 on 5 until someone wins (playoff style). If the next game is a matinee 12 hours later, oh well you should've won in regulation. The price you pay for getting paid millions to play a game.

I hope Gionta resigns for 5 years. O'reilly never leads on the ice.

Note: I am joking for one of the above.

I think the 2005-2007 teams were a fluke, and were only succesful due to the refs calling everything for a season and a half.

The 2006 team would not have beaten Edmonton in the final. They took Carolina to seven games with their backup in net. If Rollie doesn't go down, Oilers take this one.

The 1999 team wouldn't have won game 7 in Dallas.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.