What are your unpopular hockey opinions?

Randall Flagg

Kevlar and carbon fiber are both soft fiber materials.  Each can be unidirectional (almost all the fibers aligned in the same direction) or woven into fabric.  Both can be made "light, hard and spreads out impacts" by impregnating them with an a appropriate resin that is then cured.  If you've ever used fiberglass fabric with resin to repair a rust hole on your car, you've used essentially the same process.

Carbon fiber is very strong in tensile stress which makes it ideal for lightweight structural applications.  Kevlar is very strong in shear stress which is good for armor/damage protection.  Depending on the application, Kevlar, carbon fiber and glass fiber might all be used in some proportion for hockey composite armor shells, with padding added for comfort and to distribute the loads.

Good point, I never see carbon fiber other than in resin so I didn't put together the similarities.

I'm going to go all meta:

Kevlar is over-used as "ultimate protective material". It is very resistant to puncture, abrasion, and slicing, only one of those properties is useful in hockey. A kelvar balacava would essentially eliminate neck injuries and wouldn't seem to affect the players' abilities. Kevlar itself is nearly useless for blunt impact; the stuff I've seen feels like thick cotton.

For goalie equipment, we should be talking about more carbon fiber. Light, hard, and spreads out impacts. I'd be shocked if it wasn't already heavily used, but with the same thick backing that the older plastic used that's somewhat unnecessary now. I bet d4rk and other people who play will argue though.

What about the application of carbon nano-tubes?   100x stronger than steel of the same diameter?   Seems like you could make some very strong, very lightweight sticks/equipment.

Bylsma is a good coach and his system is a very good system, whatever it may be and I don't think anyone else knows what it is either

When ROR returns Samson needs to be the #3 Center between Kane and Bailey

Kane is a member of the core of this team and needs to be resigned

Larsson is the most over rated member of this team

The Defense is much better without Gorges and only Gorges

Okposo plays much better with ROR than with Eichel

The Leafs threesome of Matthews-Marner-Nylander is not better than Eichel-Samson-Risto

I hate Brad Marchand but I'd love him on our team

pi2000 secretly hates Moulson

OT should be 10 minutes 3v3 than a tie..... Ban SO's

Edited by jsb

Good point, I never see carbon fiber other than in resin so I didn't put together the similarities.

And I don't think of Kevlar as a soft woven fabric, other than as a raw material before resin is added.

Get rid of the player bench doors to eliminate the Kulikov type injury risk.

And replace them with?  Or are you saying simply that they should not be opened except when play is stopped (all substitutions on the fly will be coming over the boards)?  I think that would bring different risks with more skates being up at the top of the boards as players fly over as they jump onto the ice.

Edited by Doohickie

Oh and 1 more before the fabric connoisseur's take over this thread

Jack go see a Dermatologist, for cripes sake man you are making money now, you can afford it. If you're not going to do it at least play in front of the net and squirt one of those multiple bad boys on your forehead into the goaltenders eye and blind that sucker so we can score more often.

Bylsma is a good coach and his system is a very good system, whatever it may be and I don't think anyone else knows what it is either

When ROR returns Samson needs to be the #3 Center between Kane and Bailey

Kane is a member of the core of this team and needs to be resigned

Larsson is the most over rated member of this team

The Defense is much better without Gorges and only Gorges

Okposo plays much better with ROR than with Eichel

The Leafs threesome of Matthews-Marner-Nylander is not better than Eichel-Samson-Risto

I hate Brad Marchand but I'd love him on our team

pi2000 secretly hates Moulson

OT should be 10 minutes 3v3 than a tie..... Ban SO's

I agree with just about all of this, good thoughts jsb.

And replace them with?  Or are you saying simply that they should not be opened except when play is stopped (all substitutions on the fly will be coming over the boards)?

Replace with nothing.  Solid wall.  They have to jump over to get on/off.

No way Marner too small an Enis waiting to happen.

Marner's actually taller than Crosby I think. Or Giroux? One of those guys is 5-11, Marner, is 6-0. He's thin, but he will fill out to be a normal-sized hockey player, bigger than stars like Kane and Gaudreau.

And unfortunately, he's a special hockey player.

-"Defensive defenseman" is simply a term used by people to describe a bad defenseman in a way that gives value to that player.

-A defenseman's first job is not defense. His fist job is the same as everybody else's: help the team win.

-If Sidney Crosby and Wayne Gretzky switched eras in which they played, Sid would be The Great One.

-Zemgus Girgensons is a good player, and still the best fit for Jack's LW on the roster.

-The nets should be bigger.

-The biggest myth in the world is that having a guy who can fight is a deterrent.

-The only "physical play" that matters at all is willingness and ability to engage in puck battles. Everything else is a stylistic preference, not a contributor to winning.

-Most of the blowback against analytics is because people's brains won't let them believe things they've "known" for 40 years are wrong.

-As frustrating as it is to see his passes flubbed, the best wingers for Eichel are not necessarily the most skilled. He needs wingers who do the dirty work for him, can cover defensively, and play off the puck well. At least one of them has to do this, anyway.

-Labeling lines as 1-2-3 is an antiquated notion that stifles quality conversation.

-The 4th line is not a place to stuff players because that can't play hockey beyond hitting--it can and should be designed to be a contributor.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

What about the application of carbon nano-tubes?   100x stronger than steel of the same diameter?   Seems like you could make some very strong, very lightweight sticks/equipment.

I know even less about nanotubes than kelvar and CF, but if it pans out I'm sure we'll see it in sports equipment. Interestingly, GT gear is an odd case, there aren't many sports where a player is subject to repeated impacts from a hard object. It changes the equation. For that matter, you don't really want hard armor there either or rebound control would be impossible.

This opinion isn’t going to win me any friends. Mitchel Marner is becoming a better hockey player than Jack Eichel. 

Marner is a year younger than Jack, and is averaging .783 points per game in his rookie year, whereas Jack averaged .691.

If you want to ignore last year, this year, Jack is averaging .8125 points per game, but If Jack doesn’t score a point next game, and Marner does score a point you’ll be witnessing the intersection: Marner will have eclipsed Jack .789 to .764. and Mitch will start to pull away.  

Our “generational talent” moniker regarding Eichel has been passed as truth by so many members of the Buffalo fan-base and media, that we stand to be crushed under the weight of the lie. 

To hell with Pegulian Tank Jobs! 

Trade Jack for Mitch before it is too late!

Marner is playing on a team that focuses more on offence. I don't think this is a case where you can compare purely on points.

Marner's actually taller than Crosby I think. Or Giroux? One of those guys is 5-11, Marner, is 6-0. He's thin, but he will fill out to be a normal-sized hockey player, bigger than stars like Kane and Gaudreau.

Marner is a -4 on the season, as much as he scores, he's a liability.  

-"Defensive defenseman" is simply a term used by people to describe a bad defenseman in a way that gives value to that player.

-A defenseman's first job is not defense. His fist job is the same as everybody else's: help the team win.

-If Sidney Crosby and Wayne Gretzky switched eras in which they played, Sid would be The Great One.

-Zemgus Girgensons is a good player, and still the best fit for Jack's LW on the roster.

-The nets should be bigger.

-The biggest myth in the world is that having a guy who can fight is a deterrent.

-The only "physical play" that matters at all is willingness and ability to engage in puck battles. Everything else is a stylistic preference, not a contributor to winning.

-Most of the blowback against analytics is because people's brains won't let them believe things they've "known" for 40 years are wrong.

-As frustrating as it is to see his passes flubbed, the best wingers for Eichel are not necessarily the most skilled. He needs wingers who do the dirty work for him, can cover defensively, and play off the puck well. At least one of them has to do this, anyway.

-Labeling lines as 1-2-3 is an antiquated notion that stifles quality conversation.

-The 4th line is not a place to stuff players because that can't play hockey beyond hitting--it can and should be designed to be a contributor.

giphy.gif

Replace with nothing.  Solid wall.  They have to jump over to get on/off.

Good point for injured players.  I still think goalies need to jump over.  Keep the doors but do not allow them to be opened when the clock is running.

Marner and Keller, the next Patty Kanes

And Marner is a rookie, every rookie is a liability in his own end

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.