The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

The worst part of finally having a white collar job is the hours. 8:30-5. Ugh. Just rape the entire day. I miss working 6-2:30. Those were nice hours.

I worked those hours for 11 years and loved it, great party shift. Then I switched to 2-10am. Best shift ever! I can do anything, day or night. Concert, sporting event, wedding(ugh, weddings suck), cookout, play golf....anything!

Think I'm going to start just putting in an extra hour every day and then leaving early on fridays

I wish I could do that. There's zero flexibility here as far as what our "normal hours" are. I wish we could do summer hours. I think a lot of people would like that.

I worked those hours for 11 years and loved it, great party shift. Then I switched to 2-10am. Best shift ever! I can do anything, day or night. Concert, sporting event, wedding(ugh, weddings suck), cookout, play golf....anything!

You're a lucky man. I don't think I could do that shift. My body hurts just thinking about it :lol:

You're a lucky man. I don't think I could do that shift. My body hurts just thinking about it :lol:

Sleep is a skill of mine. I'm really, really good at it. I can make any weird hours work for me. Naps when the wife is working and the kid is in school and I don't have to miss any family time.

But this work during the day stuff is just garbage. My golf clubs are yelling at me from the trunk of my car.

Oh well, it's only 3 days. I'll survive.

I work a crazy nonsensical schedule (my office operates 24/7/365, scheduling is complicated, but I still give my boss undue amounts of for it) and have found that day shift (7a-5p) or night shift (9p-7a) are fine and dandy. Second shift (in my particular location 1p-11p) can just right off. Life ruining.

Four days a week, one holiday per month, and an abundance of accumulated leave because most things can be scheduled around / traded with colleagues (I have to figure out what to do with four weeks of leaf before the end of the year so I don't lose it) aren't bad either.

Sleep? Meh.

I work a crazy nonsensical schedule (my office operates 24/7/365, scheduling is complicated, but I still give my boss undue amounts of ###### for it) and have found that day shift (7a-5p) or night shift (9p-7a) are fine and dandy. Second shift (in my particular location 1p-11p) can just ###### right off. Life ruining.

Four days a week, one holiday per month, and an abundance of accumulated leave because most things can be scheduled around / traded with colleagues (I have to figure out what to do with four weeks of leaf before the end of the year so I don't lose it) aren't bad either.

Sleep? Meh.

Yeah, that's a lot of pot to just throw away.

One of our two mobile gantry cranes collapsed today. There was some running and scrambling but no one was hurt. The operator was beside himself but we pulled him together enough to get things as unfecked as we could. All operator error.

I have eleven more years of this shnit. This is far from the worst crane wreck I've ever seen but that doesn't mean you get used to it. Some people call it ptsd. I call it tmss(too much stupid ). I kiss my wife every morning before I head out because every single day is likely to be my last. The ultimate worst part of this is the fact that I'm likely to have an ill timed random outburst within the next 6 months. One more disaster to add into the memory banks. Oh snap!

These gantry cranes are on the smaller side. They have a walkway that needs to be set up. No trolley overhead. We make the pick with the legs. We have been using about 60' at a 500T capacity. We're just tripping and installing boilers at about 100T. We had cut the load loose late morning and we're working on moving it inside the structure.

The operator had forgotten that we'd unhooked the hydraulics to one of legs and was saving some time running the legs down after we had transferred the load by bungee strapping the levers down while moving on to the power plant running our lateral device. You know what happens when you shorten one leg on a gantry. Not everyone in the gang were even relayed the info that the gantry was retracting. The creaking of collapsing metal was really the first thought I'd had about the machine since we cut it loose late morning.

Edited by iTInSn

Nuke plants get that sort of reassurance with their day to day operations. Main stream building of America can be very barbaric. Machinery being used from the 70s/80s is still happening. OSHA regulations use the term adequate a lot. Things were getting better in the 90's then W happened and things have been devolving in this industry ever since. The science is there to keep people alive. The will to do the same is something I question every day. The budget for worker safety isn't a big concern to the average citizen.

Relax, Russian people. Grigs is on way! You will soon get so tired on winning, you will beg for loss!

A Russian frigate armed with cruise missiles was heading to the Mediterranean in an apparent show of force a day after the first direct military strike by the US against the Syrian regime. Russian state media reported that the frigate, the Admiral Grigorovich, would call at a logistics base at Tartus, Syria.

Edited by PASabreFan

Nuke plants get that sort of reassurance with their day to day operations. Main stream building of America can be very barbaric. Machinery being used from the 70s/80s is still happening. OSHA regulations use the term adequate a lot. Things were getting better in the 90's then W happened and things have been devolving in this industry ever since. The science is there to keep people alive. The will to do the same is something I question every day. The budget for worker safety isn't a big concern to the average citizen.

Don't you mean average shareholder?

I think he's right. I've never even thought about it. I think people just assume that they have safety measures in place and that that is enough.

But I regularly vote for dems who "just love to over-regulate."

We care.

ho ho hooly sh!t I think I have the world's craziest client....

this chick is such a crazy stereotype that I'm honestly wondering if it's a prank/setup.... it gets crazier every email and I'm seriously wondering when it'll be revealed that it was all a test to see just how much it takes for me to go "ok... wait a second... this is bonkers"

In short, she's an attractive woman in her early 30s who wants to be a sexy cartoon character with a show and now has a LAWYER set up to copyright her own logo/brand.... and I'd assume it's all total bunk if a woman who works at the agency that has gotten me several super legit gigs hadn't sent her my way... 

I can't tell if this is going to go in my "most amazing clients ever" file or the "nightmares that made me contemplate my own existence" pile. It could easily go either way I think... 

to top it off I have some sort of stomach flu situation going on right now and she does NOT like waiting... we went from "Hi I'm ___ and this is my idea, let me know your rates, I'm a well manicured broke girl" last night to "OK so here's no less than 100 adjectives to describe me and this pamela anderson cartoon i want to be based off and this song needs to be in my opening animated intro where I'm riding a unicorn or a cloud and here's my logo ideas, I've been on the phone with my lawyer all day it's CRAZY but i'm 0-60 let's go girl!"

She also says f*ck a lot. Which is odd for a client. 

Which one of you is it. Seriously.