The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

My welding machine finally arrived today. It's a 160a dual voltage IGBT inverter. Runs up to 1/8" rod. They say 5/32" but you're not getting a good weld running 5/32" that low IMO. I've been welding for 25 yrs. I'm certified in SMAW 3G and 4G unlimited thickness and FWAC 3G and 4G unlimited as well. I'm proficient in a few other processes but not tig. My new machine can run tig with some extra gear(iT has some home schooling to do). 25 yrs master on a skill(mine is art) and this is the first welder I've owned. I'm pumped out of my mind to be able do make the things that have been in my head all these years. I've had a design in there for a trebuchet that I have been dying to see in real life. Chunkin some funkin pumpkins!

Welding is something I've always wanted to teach myself. I think the first thing I'm buying when I own a home someday is a mig welder. I'd also love to have my own mill and lathe so I can make parts for auto and paintball projects.

Welding is something I've always wanted to teach myself. I think the first thing I'm buying when I own a home someday is a mig welder. I'd also love to have my own mill and lathe so I can make parts for auto and paintball projects.

I'm not big on the mig process. It doesn't have the penetration for anything thicker than 1/8". SMAW(stick) welding is superior in every way besides economy in material and labor. Once I've had a chance to run this machine and rate it, I'll get you a link. You'll be hard pressed to find a good mig for this price.

I'm not big on the mig process. It doesn't have the penetration for anything thicker than 1/8". SMAW(stick) welding is superior in every way besides economy in material and labor. Once I've had a chance to run this machine and rate it, I'll get you a link. You'll be hard pressed to find a good mig for this price.

I'm down for whatever! I just wanna make metal connect to other metal :lol:

ordered a new HP printer on amazon, there's an option to pay a monthly fee of a few bucks to auto replace the ink cartridges... but you're limited to a certain number of pages per month, not sure if I'll sign up need to do more research.

• 2 weeks later...

i don't follow every thread here. I simply can not do it. I wish I could. I'd love to dive into the frying pan and burn my ass off but there's too much too much going on right now. I love every single poster here(even if you think I'm a pud). I love the exchanges we have. I miss ghost. When it comes to opinions, we are miles apart and side by side at the time. That's the rare thing about SS. It works that way.

I'm a realist. No one loves everyone.

Anyways my random thought was actually about heaven. I'm mostly certain that there is a hot tub there.

i don't follow every thread here. I simply can not do it. I wish I could. I'd love to dive into the frying pan and burn my ass off but there's too much too much going on right now. I love every single poster here(even if you think I'm a pud). I love the exchanges we have. I miss ghost. When it comes to opinions, we are miles apart and side by side at the time. That's the rare thing about SS. It works that way.

I'm a realist. No one loves everyone.

Anyways my random thought was actually about heaven. I'm mostly certain that there is a hot tub there.

I don't think I have heard the term "pud" in thirty years.

I think I need to go to the Awesome thread.

Funny thing is that I was actually called out as a pud in the politics thread 6 months ago. I assume the poster is around our age. I had forgotten what a pud was and after a google search I remembered it all. I'm not the type to judge so that poster is as likely to be right as he is to be wrong.

LOL @ pud. Used to use that term in school when I was a kid. 

Now what are you two pud knockers gonna have? 

(I know, completely different meaning but it was the first thing that came to mind) 

I'm 35 but we used to use it as a slang for ######. Like, sorry I couldn't get to the phone, I was busy whacking my pud. Ha ha!

The banned word if I was British would be ###### or to steal from George Carlin I'll say waxing the carrot. I used the medical term. Surprised that's a banned word.

Man, even the British word is banned. This is crazy.

Edited by Drunkard

My welding machine finally arrived today. It's a 160a dual voltage IGBT inverter. Runs up to 1/8" rod. They say 5/32" but you're not getting a good weld running 5/32" that low IMO. I've been welding for 25 yrs. I'm certified in SMAW 3G and 4G unlimited thickness and FWAC 3G and 4G unlimited as well. I'm proficient in a few other processes but not tig. My new machine can run tig with some extra gear(iT has some home schooling to do). 25 yrs master on a skill(mine is art) and this is the first welder I've owned. I'm pumped out of my mind to be able do make the things that have been in my head all these years. I've had a design in there for a trebuchet that I have been dying to see in real life. Chunkin some funkin pumpkins!

I understood about 10% of this but it does sound cool -- especially the trebuchet. There is a pumpkin patch in upstate NY we go to every fall that has one -- it flings pumpkins probably 200 yards. Very cool.

Anyone else think the site is running really slow today?

I am running an accounting software, an income tax software and am compressing a portable hard drive, so it does seem kind of slow, but for good reason on my end anyway.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

I understood about 10% of this but it does sound cool -- especially the trebuchet. There is a pumpkin patch in upstate NY we go to every fall that has one -- it flings pumpkins probably 200 yards. Very cool.

The SMAW process uses CC vs FCAW and all the other wire processes which use CV. The CC provides constant amperage so a "stick" welder controls the arc length. The CV processes provide a constant voltage because the wire welder has little control over arc length. A SMAW machine converts the AC current to DC which runs on reverse polarity. That means the electrode is negative. The current flows through the rod into the work piece(as opposed to CV processes). The work piece pulls the current. It's hotter thus the deeper penetration. The Inverted Gate Bipolar Transistor machines do all the work of inverting with the added bonus of being a fast switch semi conductor. It basically stores and stacks the half of the sign wave that DC uses and delivers it with the help of a microprocessor. Much smoother with a much easier start up with the capability to power a few other weld processes.

Just got the proper circuits installed to power this machine. It welds just like it should. Very nice. He trebuchet will have to wait until late summer. My first project is a coal fired forge. I already have 90% of what I need. I'm so F'n ready!

The SMAW process uses CC vs FCAW and all the other wire processes which use CV. The CC provides constant amperage so a "stick" welder controls the arc length. The CV processes provide a constant voltage because the wire welder has little control over arc length. A SMAW machine converts the AC current to DC which runs on reverse polarity. That means the electrode is negative. The current flows through the rod into the work piece(as opposed to CV processes). The work piece pulls the current. It's hotter thus the deeper penetration. The Inverted Gate Bipolar Transistor machines do all the work of inverting with the added bonus of being a fast switch semi conductor. It basically stores and stacks the half of the sign wave that DC uses and delivers it with the help of a microprocessor. Much smoother with a much easier start up with the capability to power a few other weld processes.

Just got the proper circuits installed to power this machine. It welds just like it should. Very nice. He trebuchet will have to wait until late summer. My first project is a coal fired forge. I already have 90% of what I need. I'm so F'n ready!

That's awesome. Really hope you post some pics of the finished products.

My own bit of awesome/random is Berke Breathed's April Fools Day post was a Bloom County / Calvin & Hobbes mashup w/ an associated (mock) NYT article by Susie Derkins about his "collaboration" w/ Bill Watterson (Calvin County). In it, he & Watterson were wearing Steve Dallas & C&H ties. Went to his online store looking for that tie (which wasn't on sale) but his "2 Spaces for America" shirts were on discount & in my size. Friggin' awesome. :beer:

EDIT: & today's bit of random awesomeness. Listening to Dire Straits can even wipe tonight's stench off the evening. Shocking how good their music is. Tonight's stench was thick.

Edited by Taro T

I'm down for whatever! I just wanna make metal connect to other metal :lol:

When I was a kid, I asked my dad, "Do you know how to weld?" (there is a welder in our garage, after all). His response was, "well, I know how to make pieces of metal stick together.". It's something I'd like to learn, but realistically based on my practical carpentry and other skill levels I'm not sure I'd be that good at it.

Working during the day sucks. I mean it's truly awful. I can't handle being stuck here past 10am. I'm literally wasting my day away.

I haven't worked during the day since I gave tennis lessons when I was 18. And that was play that I got paid for. How does most of the planet do this?

Working during the day sucks. I mean it's truly awful. I can't handle being stuck here past 10am. I'm literally wasting my day away.

I haven't worked during the day since I gave tennis lessons when I was 18. And that was play that I got paid for. How does most of the planet do this?

The worst part of finally having a white collar job is the hours. 8:30-5. Ugh. Just rape the entire day. I miss working 6-2:30. Those were nice hours.

The worst part of finally having a white collar job is the hours. 8:30-5. Ugh. Just rape the entire day. I miss working 6-2:30. Those were nice hours.

Think I'm going to start just putting in an extra hour every day and then leaving early on fridays

Think I'm going to start just putting in an extra hour every day and then leaving early on fridays

My current schedule is working 8, 9-hour days and one 8-hour day over two weeks and having every other Friday off. It's kinda awesome, but the extra hour seems to really drag on each day. A previous job did 4-9s and a 4, and even then I didn't take advantage of it that often.

Edited by MattPie