The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

:D More like a weird fixation...

A combination of fascination/nerdyness, boycotting learning anything in English class (where I did all of my studying), and the hilarity of getting my name on a plaque in the Math Showcase.  As co-captain of the Math Team, I convinced our advisor to reinstate the annual pi competition on Pi Day that year.

And I can go 14 digits now, apparently.

That's pretty cool. We all did weird stuff in school. I remember hating Spanish class -- just bored out of my mind. So for one of the assignments when we had to "sell something," I wanted to make it interesting. I translated Eddie Murpy's SNL "I Wanna Be A Ho" bit into Spanish -- Yo quiero ser una puta by Velvet Jones. It was hilarious. One of the girls in the class at at the end of my presentation said -- I don't get it. I understand the part about making money, and being able to work from your bedroom, but what is a "puta." My teacher was devestated. I parallel her to DD and the current Sabres -- lost control.

BTW - I did not get my name on a plaque in the Spanish classroom after that shenanigan.

Does anyone else remember phone numbers by athlete's names? It was always impressive when you didn't have to write it down, and now, dial it into your phone. It's a little dated for technology so maybe you used to but don't anymore -- you'll see what I mean from the names:

When a girl would tell you her phone number was 585-244-1288, it was Horton-Zhitnik and Kelly to Metzelaars. The 585 was local and a no-brainer.

Anyone else do this?

That's awesome.I am going to start memorizing phone numbers purely to use this.

This was perfect, thanks guys :lol:

Previous mechanic screwed it apparently. Radiator blew up as I got off the highway. It was already smoking so I called in to a different shop and before I got there it seized. 1200 to fix, and at 144k it's not worth it. So, anyone have any recommendations for mid sized SUV's? I really like the Patriot, but it has terrible reviews.

What'd you do to your car?

That's no good.

I changed my car's oil. But I dumped the transmission oil, even though it's behind the engine block and not attached, and the fluid was so old that it was the same color and consistency as engine oil that needs to be changed, not red. So I didn't notice. I put 4 qts in and took off down the street, without checking the dipstick of course, felt the car have trouble shifting, and realized what I did. My face burned so bright as I spent the next 3 hours fixing everything. Luckily, there doesn't appear to be any damage. 

Does anyone else remember phone numbers by athlete's names? It was always impressive when you didn't have to write it down, and now, dial it into your phone. It's a little dated for technology so maybe you used to but don't anymore -- you'll see what I mean from the names:

When a girl would tell you her phone number was 585-244-1288, it was Horton-Zhitnik and Kelly to Metzelaars. The 585 was local and a no-brainer.

Anyone else do this?

Interesting! I do it all the time. A local pizza place is a pass 2 Jay McKee then on to Gilmour.

:D More like a weird fixation...

A combination of fascination/nerdyness, boycotting learning anything in English class (where I did all of my studying), and the hilarity of getting my name on a plaque in the Math Showcase.  As co-captain of the Math Team, I convinced our advisor to reinstate the annual pi competition on Pi Day that year.

And I can go 14 digits now, apparently.

Memorizing Pi? You can have my digits (as we used to say).

Interesting! I do it all the time. A local pizza place is a pass 2 Jay McKee then on to Gilmour.

Ugh -- I wish I could derive the pizza place you're referencing but I don't have enough numbers.

I am glad to know others do this. My brother and I randomly brought up this topic and were amazed that each of us did this. 

Yes I've done the phone number thing.

And I still know all my friends parents house phone numbers. I can do them blind just based off the pattern on the number pad.

I can do this too. Unfortunately it doesn't do me a lot of good to call the home phones of the parents of my elementary school friends. I know my wife's, dad's and mom's cell numbers and that's it. :(

I can do this too. Unfortunately it doesn't do me a lot of good to call the home phones of the parents of my elementary school friends. I know my wife's, dad's and mom's cell numbers and that's it. :(

Well, no actually its a worthless quirk. Just funny how the mind works.

I know my wife's and my dad's number. I don't even know my house phone.

As always, this is an actual email from an actual student:

"I went home this weekend to visit my family and decided to come back to Geneseo early this morning. Unfortunately there was a major accident on the I90 thruway, and there is no way for me to reach the Geneseo campus. I just wanted to inform you and apologize for my absence as I won't be back until tomorrow."

This was emailed to me over 7 hours before class begins. If this is the best you can come up with, why even bother?

Edited by TrueBlueGED

"I went home this weekend to visit my family and decided to come back to Geneseo early this morning. Unfortunately there was a major accident on the I90 thruway, and there is no way for me to reach the Geneseo campus. I just wanted to inform you and apologize for my absence as I won't be back until tomorrow."

This was emailed to me over 7 hours before class begins. If this is the best you can come up with, why even bother?

:lol: 

"The thruway is closed and I don't know how other roads work."

"I went home this weekend to visit my family and decided to come back to Geneseo early this morning. Unfortunately there was a major accident on the I90 thruway, and there is no way for me to reach the Geneseo campus. I just wanted to inform you and apologize for my absence as I won't be back until [/size]tomorrow[/size]."[/size]

Oh, definitely the kid should be able to figure out how to take alternate routes, but it looks like the Thruway shutdown this AM near Geneva is still in effect.

Oh, definitely the kid should be able to figure out how to take alternate routes, but it looks like the Thruway shutdown this AM near Geneva is still in effect.

Yeah, I mean, there was a big accident overnight. But it's not like it was a travel crisis  :lol:

:lol: 

"The thruway is closed and I don't know how other roads work."

Checked Google Maps....there is a route completely avoiding the 90 which adds 30 minutes to travel time. IMPOSSIBLE TO PASS I SAY!

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Checked Google Maps....there is a route completely avoiding the 90 which adds 30 minutes to travel time. IMPOSSIBLE TO PASS I SAY!

Oh, absolutely along that stretch of highway there are good routes running parallel to the Thruway.

Not surprising a kid that doesn't really want to be back in school would be unable to identify any of them. Hopefully the girlfriend back home is hot enough &/or wild enough to make the 0's acrued on a Monday worth it.

Geneseo, you say?  the tavern inside of the Big Tree Inn still has a good tap selection, innit?

I'm thinking beers some evening......

In the U.S., you can take Internet service as a business expense on your taxes, but the percentage of the cost you can take is the percentage of time you use it for business. But my Internet connection is sitting there 24/7 available to receive client emails, so am I actually using the connection 100% of the time?

NS? Hurry. lol

Edited by PASabreFan

In the U.S., you can take Internet service as a business expense on your taxes, but the percentage of the cost you can take is the percentage of time you use it for business. But my Internet connection is sitting there 24/7 available to receive client emails, so am I actually using the connection 100% of the time?

NS? Hurry. lol

<_<

Aren't you late?

When in doubt ... take 100% and let the IRS come after you, if they want to.  That's what Trump does.

<_<

Aren't you late?

When in doubt ... take 100% and let the IRS come after you, if they want to.  That's what Trump does.

Not this year. 15th fell on a weekend & that following Monday is a holiday in Taxachusetts (Patriots Day), so EVERYBODY got until today to file w/out an extension.

Used to work in the Louisiana branch office of a Mass-based company. We'd get Patriots Day off, but not Fat Tuesday. Had to take that one as a floating holiday.

Printers in general suck. I constantly get into fights with mine at work. And I frequently lose....

Tonight I can't visit hfboards without getting a crazy "you're a lucky millionaire winner" pop up. Some sort of odd hack, maybe? Can't exit out, it basically takes down the whole site.

Printers in general suck. I constantly get into fights with mine at work. And I frequently lose....

Tonight I can't visit hfboards without getting a crazy "you're a lucky millionaire winner" pop up. Some sort of odd hack, maybe? Can't exit out, it basically takes down the whole site.

Well let this be a lesson for ya, Benedict. 

I'm not late. So you can relax. Besides, we used protection.

Oh, you're late alright.

I am relaxed, as relaxed as I can be on April 18th.  Our deadline is actually May Day at midnight, since April 30th is a Sunday.