The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

As always, this is an actual email from an actual student:

"I went home this weekend to visit my family and decided to come back to Geneseo early this morning. Unfortunately there was a major accident on the I90 thruway, and there is no way for me to reach the Geneseo campus. I just wanted to inform you and apologize for my absence as I won't be back until tomorrow."

This was emailed to me over 7 hours before class begins. If this is the best you can come up with, why even bother?

The kid's mistake was in timing the email?

Well Mr. BIg Shot bragged about doing his taxes at the last minute, so of course right in the throes of it, my 14 year old diabetic cat went south. Vomited twice, trouble breathing, staggering around, then down. I suspected low sugar, but it's never happened before. I have Karo Syrup on hand and that's what the vet assistant recommended. After two applications to the gums, Gus came around. He walked to the food dish and ate quite a bit, but still seems a little unsteady. Might just take some time to fully recover.

The very nice vet assistant had spoken to the vet and laid out the costs if Gus had to be hospitalized tonight. It was an amount I'm not prepared to spend, for a couple of reasons. Financial, sure. But how much is too much, when some people can't afford health care? Plus, 14 is pushing the envelope and at some point it's more about me than him.

But we dodged a bullet. Still I can't help but feel a sad day is coming, sooner than later.

Well Mr. BIg Shot bragged about doing his taxes at the last minute, so of course right in the throes of it, my 14 year old diabetic cat went south. Vomited twice, trouble breathing, staggering around, then down. I suspected low sugar, but it's never happened before. I have Karo Syrup on hand and that's what the vet assistant recommended. After two applications to the gums, Gus came around. He walked to the food dish and ate quite a bit, but still seems a little unsteady. Might just take some time to fully recover.

The very nice vet assistant had spoken to the vet and laid out the costs if Gus had to be hospitalized tonight. It was an amount I'm not prepared to spend, for a couple of reasons. Financial, sure. But how much is too much, when some people can't afford health care? Plus, 14 is pushing the envelope and at some point it's more about me than him.

But we dodged a bullet. Still I can't help but feel a sad day is coming, sooner than later.

It's never easy, PA.

Thoughts and prayers (5 times daily + extras) going your way.

As always, this is an actual email from an actual student:

"I went home this weekend to visit my family and decided to come back to Geneseo early this morning. Unfortunately there was a major accident on the I90 thruway, and there is no way for me to reach the Geneseo campus. I just wanted to inform you and apologize for my absence as I won't be back until tomorrow."

This was emailed to me over 7 hours before class begins. If this is the best you can come up with, why even bother?

:lol:

As a graduate of SUNY Geneseo I can assure you there are a million little hodunk back roads that can get you to Geneseo that are nearly as fast as taking the Thruway (and much cheaper).

I didn't know you taught at Geneseo True.  :flirt:

It's never easy, PA.

Thoughts and prayers (5 times daily + extras) going your way.

Thanks! He seems fine and dandy this morning. Cats can go into remission for diabetes after taking insulin for so long. Maybe that's what is happening. I have to do a better job of checking his sugars.

Blue -- as  professor, I would be curious as to your take on this one. (God, this is going to reflect VERY poorly on me.)

In college, during the Spring semester of my senior year, I loaded my schedule with the biggest fluff courses imaginable -- Intro to Sociology, Photography, and a class where I was able to make up the coursework because it wasn't offered at my college. To save face, I worked my arse off for the prior years and I wanted to have a little fun before graduation.

I remember the OJ verdict was being handed down and I wanted to see it, so I either called my professor (or sent an email) saying that it was a monumental moment in history and I wanted to see it live and firsthand. That's true, but I really didn't want to go to the class. It worked. I did fine in the class and the professor never mentioned it... to me. I am sure this is one of those stories that he now tells his colleagues -- this one time, my student told me he was going to miss class to watch the OJ verdict. 

Blue -- as  professor, I would be curious as to your take on this one. (God, this is going to reflect VERY poorly on me.)

In college, during the Spring semester of my senior year, I loaded my schedule with the biggest fluff courses imaginable -- Intro to Sociology, Photography, and a class where I was able to make up the coursework because it wasn't offered at my college. To save face, I worked my arse off for the prior years and I wanted to have a little fun before graduation.

I remember the OJ verdict was being handed down and I wanted to see it, so I either called my professor (or sent an email) saying that it was a monumental moment in history and I wanted to see it live and firsthand. That's true, but I really didn't want to go to the class. It worked. I did fine in the class and the professor never mentioned it... to me. I am sure this is one of those stories that he now tells his colleagues -- this one time, my student told me he was going to miss class to watch the OJ verdict. 

Geez, and I couldn't get our professor to cancel class literally 30 min. after 9/11 happened...

I had half my class not show up the first day of spring semester one year. There had been an ill timed snowstorm on the east coast and many of them were dealing with crazy delays and flight cancellations. The amount of panicked emails I received was pretty astounding. 

Totally acceptable. What I didn't expect was the students who DID show up to troll the missing ones (they all knew each other by this point in the year/program) by telling them I was already docking their grades and generally being a horrible professor. 

If a once in a lifetime kind of sports thing or world event happened, I'd be lenient to a point. Lot of my friends missed a week of classes when RIT went to the Frozen Four. Profs were cool with it. But if I had a less than stellar student with poor attendance/mediocre effort and they suddenly claiming to be a die-hard fan in a sports situation... sit your ass down. 911 type thing or OJ verdict... just get me your work via email. I get it. 

I'm not sure I ever emailed a professor about missing a class. And I'm not sure I went to class very often. (yes! I graduated) I once had a professor lend me money, though. And I had another one buy me drinks at lunch because I had him convinced that I was a new colleague and not a student.

Bought a Moto G 4th gen off Amazon. Didn't realize I did their deal that makes the phone come with pop up ads. Gonna go home and download an app to try and fix it. Either gonna brick it or remove the ads. Here goes nothing I guess

I'm not sure which version of Moto G that is, but LineageOS (formerly CyanogenMod) has a clean android build for it.

https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/

Blue -- as professor, I would be curious as to your take on this one. (God, this is going to reflect VERY poorly on me.)

I mean, it's a weak excuse, that's for sure, but it's not like I'd hound you for it. I'd definitely laugh about it with colleagues and future classes though :lol:

I have an attendance policy, but I don't require students to let me know they're going to miss. Frankly, I really don't much care why (unless it's some sort of emergency which will have a longer term impact). Students are allowed a certain number of absences without penalty, depending on how many times per week class meets. It's on the students to use them as they see fit, but once they're gone, they're gone (barring extraordinary circumstances anyway). Want to miss for OJ? Go right ahead. Just don't whine later in the semester that you're sick and want to stay home but can't without penalty.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

There's a great doc on Netflix about National Lampoon- Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead: The Story of National Lampoon.

Well, it reminded me of the fun days of college when my friends and I ran the campus magazine. Before it fell apart for reasons I won't get into here.

I mumbled something about it to said friends, and now we *just might* do our own magazine again. We're all older, more experienced, more polished, but just as snarky/dimwitted as ever. Could be fun! 

What is that? Is this a reputable website? I'm asusming this will just clean build for me, but without the amazon version of the os?

Essentially, it's a "clean" version of Android that you load onto your phone, replacing the original build that the manufacturer put on it. I've put it on a couple old devices (under it's old CyanogenMod name) and it seems good. It's possible to brick the device doing it, so you want to do you homework. Additionally, device manufacturers will sometimes lock the phone so you can use it (or other similar software). I'm no expert on this stuff; my day-to-day phone is too precious to me to mess with so I've only done it on obsolete hardware.

I'm kinda confused: Amazon it popping up full-screen adds on the phone itself, or only some apps?

It's an ad that appears in the lockscreen

I don't really care about this phone all too much. I'm either going to go your route or some YouTube video at this point. Not sure what homework I can really do with it anyway honestly

I've got that on my Fire tablet, but I knew that going in.