The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

Is it weird that I make a concerted effort to avoid most if not all news, I don't have cable, I don't like the world and I don't want to be negatively affected by all the stupid crap happening.... When we bombed Syria, I didn't know until I accidently walked by a TV with coverage on. The less I know about this stuff is better.

To further add, I find comfort in reading about griping in hockey some days, it's not all that serious and after a very stressful day, I actually find comfort in reading some of the hockey threads here, even though it's just you f*cks ;)

Edited by Wyldnwoody44

Is it weird that I make a concerted effort to avoid most if not all news, I don't have cable, I don't like the world and I don't want to be negatively affected by all the stupid crap happening.... When we bombed Syria, I didn't know until I accidently walked by a TV with coverage on. The less I know about this stuff is better.

To further add, I find comfort in reading about griping in hockey some days, it's not all that serious and after a very stressful day, I actually find comfort in reading some of the hockey threads here, even though it's just you f*cks ;)

We bombed Syria?

I found out we bombed Syria 4 days after the fact when I went to watch my DVRd episode of Hawaii Five-O and it was all up by breaking news! I was fcuking pissed! Thankfully my wife records Blue Bloods after Hawaii Five-O so we managed to get all of my show and only her show was ruined by 15 minutes. And that's fine.

I found out we bombed Syria 4 days after the fact when I went to watch my DVRd episode of Hawaii Five-O and it was all ###### up by breaking news! I was fcuking pissed! Thankfully my wife records Blue Bloods after Hawaii Five-O so we managed to get all of my show and only her show was ruined by 15 minutes. And that's fine.

Blue Bloods and Hawaii Five-O... I never would have guessed you're a 70 year old.

To the bolded, no.  The news is bad for you.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/apr/12/news-is-bad-rolf-dobelli

Dude.  YOU WORK FOR A NEWS STATION.

I'm an audio guy, though. That means I don't have to listen. :lol:

It is kind of amazing. Unless I'm on air, I don't watch TV, even at work (except for hockey, and even then, it's usually at a low level with music on). So unless the bombing was going to effect a specific stock's price, they probably aren't even going to talk about it. Plus I've been training someone, so I've only been caring about when I see someone's lips moving, do I actually hear their voice, not necessarily what they are saying.

I'm with woody. I used to know and care. It made me miserable. I'm way happier now. Also, throw in a nutso kid, two ailing parents, and trying to be a 50 year old rockstar and I only have so much extra room in my brain for giving a ###### about stuff that doesn't affect me one bit.

Edited by SwampD

"It doesn't affect me." That's a problem. We're at war as a country and no one can tell the difference from peacetime. 1984 stuff, there. All of us should be sacrificing, not just the military members and families. Bring back the draft. Cut Internet service from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. People will start watching the news.

"It doesn't affect me." That's a problem. We're at war as a country and no one can tell the difference from peacetime. 1984 stuff, there. All of us should be sacrificing, not just the military members and families. Bring back the draft. Cut Internet service from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. People will start watching the news.

The US has been bombing the middle east my whole life. It doesn't matter who gets elected, or which party is in control: the US bombs the middle east. It's what we do. How am I supposed to invest emotional capital in something so monolithic, right now, in 2018? 

The US has been bombing the middle east my whole life. It doesn't matter who gets elected, or which party is in control: the US bombs the middle east. It's what we do. How am I supposed to invest emotional capital in something so monolithic, right now, in 2018?

Bingo.

I just don't care.