This is Jack's Team; Captaincy

WildCard

Well we've all seen the emotional and performance high Eichel brings to this team now. Suffice to say I think it's pretty evident who's team this is, and who's the captain next season.

I mean, it's gotta be Des, right?

On a serious note though, thoughts?

And how exactly does that transition take place? Is ROR going to be down with it? Eleven surely heard Lindy talk about the effect of losing his captaincy in Buffalo, and that's why he was very sensitive about the C when he was coach.

From a practical point of view, what's the difference who wears it?

And how exactly does that transition take place? Is ROR going to be down with it? Eleven surely heard Lindy talk about the effect of losing his captaincy in Buffalo, and that's why he was very sensitive about the C when he was coach.

From a practical point of view, what's the difference who wears it?

ROR isn't losing anything, is he?

I'm still in favor of the old method of having the team vote anyway, BTW.

Serious question: why do fans care so much about who wears the "C" in hockey?

Not sure if the players care that much. Doesn't appear to be as big a big deal in other sports.

I agree with you.  

I don't know WHY the captain is more important in hockey than it is in other sports....but it seesm that is the case with the players even. Its probably related to the tradition of the sport.

To me the mark of a good team with 'leadership' is the one that DOESN'T have a true captain...but one where the players in the room do what is needed and say what is needed...despite who has a letter on their jersey.

Well we've all seen the emotional and performance high Eichel brings to this team now. Suffice to say I think it's pretty evident who's team this is, and who's the captain next season.

I mean, it's gotta be Des, right?

On a serious note though, thoughts?

The emotion he showed really worked up the crowd as well, I bet he has been frustrated seeing his team play the 21st games without him and level they were at.

And now the bruins come to town, he will eat them up.   I think he loves the sabres, is very happy to be here and wants to be in the playoffs this year.

Also all the Matthews vs McDavid hype probably irked him a bit as well.   Its like he wants to say, don't forget about me you wankers.

@ the OP. I feel precisely the same way.

ROR just screamed captain material from the outset. And still does.

But the way in which Eichel has lifted the entire team - that really says something. 

I think I'm good either way. The guy needs a letter, though, ASAP.

Also: Great thread, but belongs in the Jack megathread. (Sorry - I cannot help myself.)

The emotion he showed really worked up the crowd as well, 

Also all the Matthews vs McDavid hype probably irked him a bit as well.   Its like he wants to say, don't forget about me you wankers.

Agreed. He's only human, of course. I think he wants to show that he is the best, or at least right there among them.

Serious question: why do fans care so much about who wears the "C" in hockey?

Not sure if the players care that much. Doesn't appear to be as big a big deal in other sports.

Because in football there are like 20 of them, in baseball and basketball, there aren't captains, and in soccer, no one cares. Hockey has the C, A, A structure. It's easily identifiable for fans to care about.

Because in football there are like 20 of them, in baseball and basketball, there aren't captains, and in soccer, no one cares. Hockey has the C, A, A structure. It's easily identifiable for fans to care about.

Some baseball teams have captains and all soccer teams do--and they absolutely care.

Still see this as O'Reilly's team for now & don't see a reason to force the 'C' on Eichel.

That said, let the players decide who gets what. And if Gionta is back next year, he should be in the mix as well out of deference. But it would be good to see Gionta willfully pass it on to one of the other 2.

Same.

I would rather Jack just worry about the game at this point . He is young and has one year professionally. ROR has more experience and a bit older. He has what appears to have all the qualifications. The most talented player on the ice doesn't have to be captain. O'Rielly has one of the best overall games in hockey in my opinion.

I really don't think who wears letters matters because leaders lead...but I find myself unreasonably interested in who is going to wear the letters going forward. I can't help it. I love our new core and want to trot them out front and center to the rest of league saying "These are our guys. Who you got?" It's dumb and inconsequential, but I don't care, it's fun.

Starting next year, regardless of whether Gionta and/or Gorges return, my letters would go to O'Reilly, Eichel, and Ristolainen. I'd still probably lean towards O'Reilly with the C, but there's at least (yea, that's right) 59 games left to get me to change my mind. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Classic NHL Rule Book Mumbo Jumbo:

Only the Captain, when invited to do so by the Referee, shall have
the privilege of discussing any point relating to the interpretation of
rules. ...
A complaint about a penalty is NOT a matter “relating to the
interpretation of the rules” and a minor penalty shall be imposed
against any Captain, Alternate Captain or any other player making
such a complaint.

Also, it's alternate, not assistant captain, and there can be two alternates, three if no one is wearing the C.

At some point in the next 3 yrs Eichel is going to be the captain. You risk losing O'Reilly by giving him the C next year when Eichel is given it sooner rather than later. I hated it back then with the alternating C's with Drury and Brierre but it might not be the worst idea up and coming

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.