This is Jack's Team; Captaincy

WildCard

Doohickie and Taro got me thinking...in an accident of history, could the injury be good for Eichel's development? His skating and explosiveness not only allows him to compensate for mistakes, but to simply overwhelm defenders. Without that explosion, he's forced to slow things down and think a little differently about how to attack, and work on his in close stick handling. The finer technicalities of the game that maybe didn't need as much attention because of his physical gifts.

Apologies. I needed to ventilate.

Sorry to get you spun up.

Doohickie and Taro got me thinking...in an accident of history, could the injury be good for Eichel's development? His skating and explosiveness not only allows him to compensate for mistakes, but to simply overwhelm defenders. Without that explosion, he's forced to slow things down and think a little differently about how to attack, and work on his in close stick handling. The finer technicalities of the game that maybe didn't need as much attention because of his physical gifts.

This.  Exactly this.

Should a team have a captain who likely suffers fron ADHD, though?

I read it (twice) in the Oilers GDT.

Don't perpetuate this false news crap even for fun. This is stupid.

I was being sarcastic. No need to make it a big deal. My apologies for upsetting you.

Jack was not himself on the ice OR on the bench last night and it was noticeable. I'd be frustrated, too, knowing I have an injury that is going to linger all season and feeling I could be a bigger difference maker otherwise.

When has this ever happened?

I was being sarcastic. No need to make it a big deal. My apologies for upsetting you.

Jack was not himself on the ice OR on the bench last night and it was noticeable. I'd be frustrated, too, knowing I have an injury that is going to linger all season and feeling I could be a bigger difference maker otherwise.

Understood. That subsequent endorsement is probably what triggered me.

Jack probably won't be truly himself until next season. Breaks and fractures are easier to recover from than high ankles. McKenzie tweeted to that effect recently -- that, outside of concussions, there's no injury that's more tricky to actually recover from than a high ankle.

When has this ever happened?

Seem to recall this being the story with Brad Park* ( him with a hot poker).

He was an attack-first defenceman whose knees blew up so he transitioned into a more rocking chair style.

Not the same player, but still very effective.

Risto is an underrated part of this convo

Not really. Can't see anyone except Eichel taking the next 'C' away from O'Reilly. You'll almost always see at least 1 D-man w/ an 'A' & that would presumably go to either Ristolainen or McCabe. But w/ Okposo still being in his 20's & playing RW1, could see them going w/ the 3 F's wearing letters & Risto/Jake waiting until Kyle's game slips.

It's good to be in this spot - having some guys that deserve a letter not getting one because only 3 are (or should be - not a fan of rotating letters) available. It's far better that than trading for a guy & immediately installing him at 'C' just because there was no one else qualified. You'll always have followers (& almost always 1-2 bad eggs); having more leaders keeps the followers on board & the bad eggs in check.

And whoever get letters next, let the players pick 'em (w/ the coaches having input if it isn't clear cut who the team is behind).

Let Jack keep developing... and getting healthy... Agree should probably go to ROR after Gio, but could see gio playing one more year. He is loving that line with the Grumpy brothers. Would you take it away from Gio and give him an A elder statesman kinda thing?

You and D4rk are really ruining my buzz this morning. :angry:

Roll another one,

Just like the other one.

You been holding onto it,

And I sure would like a hit!

Don't bogart that joint my friend, Pass it over to me

I saw some things last night that really make me want O'Reilly as the captain.  Eichel is great.  But he seemed to have a little more of a casual attitude.  

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. I thought ROR was a shoo-in last year. After the way the McDavid capitaincy played out in Edmonton and the way the team responded when Jack came back, I'm not too sure anymore

Let Jack keep developing... and getting healthy... Agree should probably go to ROR after Gio, but could see gio playing one more year. He is loving that line with the Grumpy brothers. Would you take it away from Gio and give him an A elder statesman kinda thing?

As long as Gionta is here he will be wearing the C, IMO.

When Gionta is finished here I still believe ROR will be captain ... next season, or the one after that, or the one after that.

As long as Gionta is here he will be wearing the C, IMO.

When Gionta is finished here I still believe ROR will be captain ... next season, or the one after that, or the one after that.

Unless he's only here 1 more season, disagree w/ this.

I'd expect that he will decide to turn it over (most likely to ROR) by the following year & even possibly this year. Just like Marleau passed the letter on a few years back.

Unless he's only here 1 more season, disagree w/ this.

I'd expect that he will decide to turn it over (most likely to ROR) by the following year & even possibly this year. Just like Marleau passed the letter on a few years back.

I agree that he may decide to pass it on, which would be a nice gesture on his part.  The passing on of the torch, I mean sabre.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.