Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

"My goal coming to the Buffalo Sabres was it was going to be a process, but be in the process of developing a winning culture and team. I think we're in that process right now, but it's one I have to be judged on. We fell short of where we thought we could be, hope we could be and I take full responsibility for that. "  How the hell does he think he is creating some sort of "winning" culture or environment? The team looks beat before the puck is even dropped most of the time and certainly mailed-in points far too many times. I am seriously concerned that for whatever reason, Blysma, and TM for that mater, actually think that they are "creating" something here (other then a crappy lifeless team that doesn;t seem to care most games) 

"I don't know the narrative. We have conversations with the players about the system, we believe we're on the same page and have a good understanding of that system and how we play. So, I feel like there's not a disconnect. They're part of the conversation and part of how we play. That's something we all have ownership in." Obviously Blysma and his "system" will be her next season...can't wait for a rerun of this past season...yippee

Edited by Sabre fan

Status-quo.

It's not about improving the team, it's about people doing the smallest amount possible that still ensures job retention. It's growing increasingly unlikely that Murray is who we thought he was.

Yeah, now that I know he wasn't giving Bylsma the rest of the season out of some misguided form of respect, Murray really looks like an idiot.

He's a talented scout in over his head.

Edited by qwksndmonster

Status-quo.

It's not about improving the team, it's about people doing the smallest amount possible that still ensures job retention. It's growing increasingly unlikely that Murray is who we thought he was.

It's looking increasingly likely that my fears of Murray and Bylsma being on the same page have been well founded. What gross incompetence. Wonder how many more players Murray is going to bring in that don't fit what Bylsma wants to do.

Fire everybody.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Replace as much of the 3rd and 4th line with some high energy defensively responsible players.    That will ignite a fire under the top 6 and get this team going in the right direction.     Teams feed off those types of players and BUF doesn't have any at the moment which is why they look flat pretty much all the time.

It's looking increasingly likely that my fears of Murray and Bylsma being on the same page have been well founded. What gross incompetence. Wonder how many more players Murray is going to bring in that don't fit what Bylsma wants to do.

Fire everybody.

This is so interesting. I definitely agree that Murray and Bylsma are likely on the same page, so why is Murray struggling so mightily to bring in players that can succeed in the chosen system? Is it that Murray isn't a good evaluator of talent? I thought that was his greatest strength.

I fear that perhaps, in today's day and age, players able to have sustained, maximized success within the selected system may be few and far between. If Murray is at least an above average assessor of talent, as seems to be a common thought, he and Bylsma seem to be completely out to lunch in regards to their faith in the feasibility of their system as it pertains to achieving success in today's game.

Status-quo.

I wonder how his contract extension changed him/his thinking.

This is so interesting. I definitely agree that Murray and Bylsma are likely on the same page, so why is Murray struggling so mightily to bring in players that can succeed in the chosen system? Is it that Murray isn't a good evaluator of talent? I thought that was his greatest strength.

I fear that perhaps, in today's day and age, players able to have sustained, maximized success within the selected system may be few and far between. If Murray is at least an above average assessor of talent, as seems to be a common thought, he and Bylsma seem to be completely out to lunch in regards to their faith in the feasibility of their system as it pertains to achieving success in today's game.

Evaluator of pre-NHL talent, sure. But he was totally unproven as a pro personnel evaluator. But even then, there's a difference between evaluating talent in a vacuum, and evaluating it as a fit in a system.

The only bright side about keeping Bylsma, if it indeed happens, is it's a pretty clear indication that Russ "ticket seller" Brandon isn't involved in hockey decisions.

I like it, although Russ' nickname needs work.

Russ "ticket booth" Brandon

The snake oil salesman

Marketer in Chief

Russ "Con Artist" Brandon

or just plain old F*** face

Edited by Drunkard

I wonder how his contract extension changed him/his thinking.

Doubt it did at all. Not a single interview he did throughout the season made me think he thought the problems were coach-related. Some of it even struck me as downright bunker mentality. I was hoping that's just what a GM says during a bad year (insert joke about a coach having "full confidence of management" as a precursor to being fired here), but it's looking more like it was sincere analysis on Murray's part.

Doubt it did at all. Not a single interview he did throughout the season made me think he thought the problems were coach-related. Some of it even struck me as downright bunker mentality. I was hoping that's just what a GM says during a bad year (insert joke about a coach having "full confidence of management" as a precursor to being fired here), but it's looking more like it was sincere analysis on Murray's part.

I'm still gonna die on the hill thinking that TM just doesn't have the authority to fire DB so his comments are basically a hallow endorsement until somebody like old f*** face convinces Terry that DB needs to be fired or they can kiss the waiting list for STHers good bye.

To PA's point, it does seem to me, at least anecdotally, that Murray has developed a greater penchant for patience in building a good team relative to the "rebuilds don't have to take 5 years" line of thinking we seemed to hear more of when Murray first stepped in.

Perhaps we inferred his intentions incorrectly, or maybe he's just run through his spendable assets at this point, but I suppose there's a not all-together unlikely chance that's he's grown more comfortable.

As more time passes, I'm afraid the most likely scenario is in line with your view, True, that Murray is fully committed to Bylsma and his line of thinking, and that Murray is currently in the "it just takes time" phase. In which case, we likely aren't ridding ourselves of Bylsma without Murray going too, in a package deal.

To PA's point, it does seem to me, at least anecdotally, that Murray has developed a greater penchant for patience in building a good team relative to the "rebuilds don't have to take 5 years" line of thinking we seemed to hear more of when Murray first stepped in.

Perhaps we inferred his intentions incorrectly, or maybe he's just run through his spendable assets at this point , but I suppose there's a not all-together unlikely chance that's he's grown more comfortable.

As more time passes, I'm afraid the most likely scenario is in line with your view, True, that Murray is fully committed to Bylsma and his line of thinking, and that Murray is currently in the "it just takes time" phase. In which case, we likely aren't ridding ourselves of Bylsma without Murray going too, in a package deal.

I think this is a huge part of it, not just in the literal sense, but in the "it's easier to trade his (the predecessor's) guys than my guys" aspect of how most GMs operate.

Are you mentally prepared for a half trillion lame excuses that Murray is going to spew tomorrow?

He should have no excuses. This team was not good enough. I expect and demand a better quality team. Excuses are for losers who lose.