Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

Hamilton post from this AM, did not see it shared

End of the season meetings between the Pegula's and Tim Murray have not taken place. Today is all about meeting with players.

freaky-friday.gif

Edited by MattPie

So, you're saying Bylsma never had the room? :unsure:

Because he certainly didn't have it in the home stretch.

No.  I'm saying he didn't lose it, ever.

The players completely gave up on themselves during the home stretch.

So, it is reasonable to say that since the players gave up they stopped listening to the coaches, but to me that isn't the same thing as him losing the room.

No. I'm saying he didn't lose it, ever.

So, it is reasonable to say that since the players gave up they stopped listening to the coaches, but to me that isn't the same thing as him losing the room.

The players "giving up on themselves" is dan losing the room.

No.  I'm saying he didn't lose it, ever.

Not looking to be argumentative, but if you don't consider that losing the room, what would be losing the room? From my perspective that was textbook losing the room, but I would really like to understand where you coming from.

The players "giving up on themselves" is dan losing the room.

Not the way I see it.

NS, have you ever blamed a head coach for losing a room?

Nope.

Not looking to be argumentative, but if you don't consider that losing the room, what would be losing the room? From my perspective that was textbook losing the room, but I would really like to understand where you coming from.

Lets see.

It's hard to explain, but you see above that I don't think a coach ever loses the room.

The players have to have their heads and hearts in it, if they give up on the season then they give up on themselves and each other.  I just don't see that as the coach losing the players.  The players were not there for the coach to lose.

I'm probably not explaining it very well, sorry.

Not the way I see it.

Nope.

Lets see.

It's hard to explain, but you see above that I don't think a coach ever loses the room.

The players have to have their heads and hearts in it, if they give up on the season then they give up on themselves and each other.  I just don't see that as the coach losing the players.  The players were not there for the coach to lose.

I'm probably not explaining it very well, sorry.

That straightens it out like a pretzel. :p

Appreciate the explanation.

Respectfully disagree. Your response seems to indicate a coach doesn't ever actually have the room. Have seen far too many examples of good coaches having the room (even bad ones - Nolan's '90's era Sabres would go through a wall for HIM) to believe bad (or to be kinder, the wrong) coaches don't lose it.

And it isn't a matter of the coach being liked - Bowman only lost the room in 1 stop but was hated in all, it is a matter of the coach being respected. Perhaps if Bylsma had a committee of players that met w/ him to try to keep all on the same page, it could've worked better this year. But a LOT of what he did was way overcomplicated (pretty much 165° away from Nolan's approach). And MAYBE that works on a veteran team, but it certainly didn't this year with a young squad.

Maybe Gionta & others did try to make suggestions to keep things on track & Bylsma ignored them. Doubt it, but maybe it happened. But whatever the behind the scenes logistics, what they were doing didn't work & it was noticeably worse down the stretch. By my definition, that's losing the room.

Maybe the room lost 'it' and the coach couldn't get 'them' back.

Can we get some specifics here? Because as I see it, the amount of actual legwork and proof that the anti-bylsma brigade has put together is immense. The only defenses of Byslma are these half-hearted feelings that people have. Or people saying that the team lacks character, or is the new rotten core (which is just as much bs now as it was when Thomas Vanek was our best skater by a mile and everyone wanted to focus on "intangibles" rather than TALENT).

amazing how we criticize players and coaches for using cliches and we're talking about "losing the room"

I think we just need a little time and space. If we can keep things simple, hold each other accountable, things will be right back in our wheelhouse.

I listened to an hour and a half of Schopp talking about Dan Bylsma today, a bunch of it with Hamilton. It's amazing to me that this discussion can get had and conclusions/predictions are made without a single mention of the system that Dan Bylsma employs. It's not even that they don't think it matters or that systems are all the same - they don't even mention it enough to say that. It's all about 'losing the room' and 'clashing with players'.

Dan Bylsma does not have some massive personality. He is a quiet, reserved guy. From what we know, he is not more or less hard on his team behind the scenes than any other coach in the NHL will be. He's not Sutter, Torts. The star of the 'clash', Jack Eichel, has been allowed to 'stray from the system' since the beginning. Dan has never told him to dump in the puck, and likely doesn't want him to start. He recognizes how dangerous Jack is on the rush. 

If Jack is really upset with his coach like people have said, it is not because his personality is clashing. It's because Jack doesn't think the way the team is coached is conducive to winning, like dozens of us here feel. He's the one playing in it - he's the one watching ROR's body grind to dust for little tangible results. If there is a player-coach disconnect, this is it. And it shows in Lehner's comments that the team isn't playing the system and buying into their roles. If the clash exists, it's that the players hate the system. End of story. So why don't any of the media personalities talk about it even enough to dismiss it, in an hour long segment about whether Bylsma is going to be fired or not?

Edited by Randall Flagg

Because sports journalism is a joke, Flagg. I was disappointed when I saw you started the "why I'm not an expert" thread. Because you have more expertise than 98% of people that get paid to talk or write about hockey.

You actually think and do the work to support what you say. I can't believe how moderate you keep your tone on here while engaging with people that don't put in a hundredth of the thought that you do into what they write.