Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

This is professional hockey at the highest level. Coaches are not looked at as friends... as a player if you want a friend, look to the guy in the stall next to you. The coach is the drill sergeant, the guy you need to respect and follow his instruction. You think Darryl Sutter gave his players emotional support, you think his players think he cared about their personal well being? You need a guy who commands respect from his players and they'll play hard for you.

That said, everything you said is true for youth hockey, juniors, etc.. but not at the professional level.

Completely disagree. If I were a 25yr old pro athlete and my coach was a drill sergeant, I'd tune them out. I'm not a kid who needs orders barked at them and to follow directions all yes sir like. I'm an adult who clearly must know something about how to play my sport. While i don't need my coach to be my buddy, I'm not gonna respect someone who bosses me around. That's not the relationship model we need and I wouldn't respect a coach like that.

Dan is staying. Murray when asked about make or break for the playoffs next season said 'next season', seemingly indicating that next season is make or break. He's not hiring a new guy for a make or break season; the only person this is make or break for is Byslma.

Is the 2018 draft any good?

It's damn good. Svechnikov is the best Russian prospect since Ovie/Malkin, and Dahlin looks better than Karlsson at the same age. He's at or slightly above Doughty/Hedman prospect level at this point.

If Dan's here, we may not finish bottom 5, but we'll have a lottery chance. 

It's damn good. Svechnikov is the best Russian prospect since Ovie/Malkin, and Dahlin looks better than Karlsson at the same age. He's at or slightly above Doughty/Hedman prospect level at this point.

If Dan's here, we may not finish bottom 5, but we'll have a lottery chance. 

I don't care how good it is, I can't do one more season man.  I just can't.

Completely disagree. If I were a 25yr old pro athlete and my coach was a drill sergeant, I'd tune them out. I'm not a kid who needs orders barked at them and to follow directions all yes sir like. I'm an adult who clearly must know something about how to play my sport. While i don't need my coach to be my buddy, I'm not gonna respect someone who bosses me around. That's not the relationship model we need and I wouldn't respect a coach like that.

Completely agree With you. Same for me. And for other players they need more coddling. Some need to be barked at and some need more of a stroking. Thats the problem with DD. He apparently doesn't know how to or want to forge relationships with his players. Every player is different and they should all be coached or mentored in a way that gets the best out of them. Not sure DD is capable of that from GMTMs presser. If not the quicker he's kicked to the curb the better. This is about developing and nurturing your players more than anything. Making them better people and better players. Good coaches do that.

Edited by bunomatic

Guys, does this Buffalo thing not seem strange to you?” wondered Friedman.

Hradek concurred.

“It does. If you listened to Tim Murray’s words today, he was very careful,” noted Friedman. “The best thing about Tim Murray is he’s blunt. He’s going to tell you what he thinks. He criticized himself. He was critical of Bylsma, saying maybe he has to spend a bit less time watching video and talking to the players.

“He said – and I’m paraphrasing here, I’m not using the exact quote – ‘I’m not thinking of firing him today.’ That says to me there’s still a lot gurgling under the surface.

“And I will say this: there’s a lot of people who wonder is Buffalo looking at Jack Eichel’s college coach, David Quinn, at Boston University. I can’t say I know 100 percent sure what’s going on there, but it’s odd and I wonder if there’s a lot more to that situation than meets the eye.”

The quote to which Friedman was referring from Murray about Bylsma:

“He has three years left on his deal,” Murray said, via John Vogl of The Buffalo News. “I have three years left on my deal. I’m the general manager today. He’s the coach today. I haven’t had any thoughts of firing him up to this point.

“The reason I always say today is because something can happen tomorrow.”

Friedman also pointed out Murray’s comment about Bylsma perhaps needing to occasionally do two hours of video instead of three, and getting to know the players a bit more.

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/friedman-still-lot-gurgling-surface-sabres/

Edited by WildCard

This is professional hockey at the highest level.    Coaches are not looked at as friends... as a player if you want a friend, look to the guy in the stall next to you.    The coach is the drill sergeant, the guy you need to respect and follow his instruction.    You think Darryl Sutter gave his players emotional support, you think his players think he cared about their personal well being?  You need a guy who commands respect from his players and they'll play hard for you.  

That said, everything you said is true for youth hockey, juniors, etc.. but not at the professional level.

There is no right answer. From coaches at the highest level, there are even different theories. If you believe you don't need to motivate certain players because they are self-motivated, you will fail to get the most out of your team. Even though they are pros, they still need something to drive them.

Being the good guy is going to work for some players. And being the drill sergeant is going to work for some players. Just as each of you responded you wouldn't like that approach, it works that way at the pro level. I know I would run through a wall for some of my coaches, and then certain coaches just didn't do it for me. It is up to the coach to figure out what drives an athlete and pull the most out of them, and that driving force will likely be unique to each player.

Optimal solution (or easiest for a coach) is to compose a team of similar personalities and let the coach use the appropriate style on the entire team. Hard to do when you take someone for their word in a recruiting/interview/scouting time period, and then you see their work ethic and personality daily over the life of a contract.

Completely agree With you. Same for me. And for other players they need more coddling. Some need to be barked at and some need more of a stroking. Thats the problem with DD. He apparently doesn't know how to or want to forge relationships with his players. Every player is different and they should all be coached or mentored in a way that gets the best out of them. Not sure DD is capable of that from GMTMs presser. If not the quicker he's kicked to the curb the better. This is about developing and nurturing your players more than anything. Making them better people and better players. Good coaches do that.

:thumbsup:

Based on the way Hoss left, I'll be pretty impressed if anyone can sweet-talk him into returning.

I've spoken with him on facebook, and this is right. I don't think he's ever coming back

I don't care how good it is, I can't do one more season man.  I just can't.

Same here. I'm done if we keep him and start poorly

I'm a little surprised and bemused that Murray's koffee klatch komment got so much attention. I don't think it's nearly the smoking gun condemnation of Bylsma that some are making it out to be.

Edited by PASabreFan

I'm a little surprised and bemused that Murray's koffee klatch komment got so much attention. I don't think it's nearly the smoking gun condemnation of Bylsma that some are making it out to be.

We had a thread about 5 pages discussing random yelling in the background of a presser. 

Remind us?  I don't remember and it's not in his last five posts.

My recollection is that he said that he was leaving, that he wasn't going to attend the meetup and that he wasn't going to continue updating some threads he was working on -- so a pretty comprehensive cutting of ties.

My recollection is that he said that he was leaving, that he wasn't going to attend the meetup and that he wasn't going to continue updating some threads he was working on -- so a pretty comprehensive cutting of ties.

What made him go over the top? Sabres losing?