Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

That was so much better than the book. A++ acting, and they didn't ruin the movie by putting the best scenes in the trailer. 

It deviates a good amount from the book, but in a good way. One of the very few times it's movie > book for me

Completely unrelated to It, but...

I'm getting fed up with people always complaining that trailers give away too much of the movie.  The most recent one that comes to mind is Spiderman.  There was so much bitching after the trailer, but how can you know if they've actually given away too much without seeing the actual movie?  That movie definitely delivered a lot that was very different from the "whole plot" that the internet whiners thought was given away in the trailer.

Completely unrelated to It, but...

I'm getting fed up with people always complaining that trailers give away too much of the movie. The most recent one that comes to mind is Spiderman. There was so much bitching after the trailer, but how can you know if they've actually given away too much without seeing the actual movie? That movie definitely delivered a lot that was very different from the "whole plot" that the internet whiners thought was given away in the trailer.

Whenever a trailer gives away too much I feel like it betrays a lack of faith in the movie from the studio. Passengers was one of those movies from this year that turned out being trash. Right now I think flatliners, and to a lesser extent, the mountain between us are culprits of giving away too much right now.

Spiderman is an interesting case because there's probably about 2.5 movies worth of content in that movie. I can't for the life of me remember that trailer, though.

I still haven't seen It because it's murdering a bunch of box office records. I'll catch it in a less crowded theater sometime. (Ahhhh I wanna see it now!)

Edited by qwksndmonster

But people complain about a trailer giving away too much before they've actually seen the movie. You can't know that for sure until you actually see it. If someone's good enough at building a trailer, they can completely trick you. I feel like Spiderman did that.

I believe it. It makes a lot of sense because there's SOOO MUUCH stuff in that movie that it'd be easy to assume you're getting a little bit of acts 1 2 and 3 in the trailer. But you'd be hard pressed to fit even 5% of that movie in a trailer.

On a related note, I read A Game of Thrones years ago.  I decided not to continue with the series until the rest of the books were out because I didn't want to go through the process of waiting after every release.  Here we are years later and an entire HBO show has been made (which I plan on saving until after reading the books) and I'm still twiddling my thumbs.  But so many things have been spoiled for me that I'm beginning to think I don't even care to read the series either.

I read the first few books, and gave up on it. Partially due to the soap-opera feel of it (albeit compelling) and partly because getting them out of the library meant all of my free (and some of my not-free time) was sucked up for the two weeks I had the book. I'd considering watching it at some point if I had access to it; I did see someone getting two seasons-worth out of the library the other day, maybe that's an option.

Been saving Man in the High Castle Season 2 for fall. For some reason, I missed it when season 2 came out. Also completely ready for Stranger Things.

Stranger Things made it hard to give up Netflix; I never got around to Four Falls of Buffalo either.

Surely they won't construct it with a glaringly obvious weakness again, right? No? Ok.

Did you see Rogue One? There's a nugget about that in there.

I believe it. It makes a lot of sense because there's SOOO MUUCH stuff in that movie that it'd be easy to assume you're getting a little bit of acts 1 2 and 3 in the trailer. But you'd be hard pressed to fit even 5% of that movie in a trailer.

I'm going off of memory here, but basically the trailer was:

-random action shots

-annoying friend

-Stark flying around

-boat scene and then Stark takes the suit back

It covers a decent amount, but it really doesn't give you much of any feeling for Michael Keaton at all short of showing him in costume.  It was very heavy on Tony Stark.  So I guess on that note, the trailer showed just about every single second he was in the movie.

Enemy At The Gates.

The only problem with it, IMO, is how the Russians and Germans speak English so goodly.  Actually, why do they speak it at all?

Jude Law does pass for a Slav.

+++++

I hear that Stalingrad is an excellent German film showing that epic struggle from the German perspective.

Actually, it's an anti war film and shows how futile that battle was.

My father's uncle (so mine too?) is still listed as missing in action on the Russian Front.  He was an old Austrian drafted into the German Army and sent to Stalingrad.

Did you see Rogue One? There's a nugget about that in there.

Oh ya of course. But what about that second Death Star? ;)

I'm going off of memory here, but basically the trailer was:

-random action shots

-annoying friend

-Stark flying around

-boat scene and then Stark takes the suit back

It covers a decent amount, but it really doesn't give you much of any feeling for Michael Keaton at all short of showing him in costume. It was very heavy on Tony Stark. So I guess on that note, the trailer showed just about every single second he was in the movie.

Which makes perfect sense. Stark was the major draw to the box office, in light of the MCU's massive success. Iron man brought people to the theatre, and the quality of the movie, as well as Holland's excellent portrayal of PP/SM, brings them back.

---

Does anyone remember the movie Hancock? Perfect example of a trailer being constructed in a misleading way, because they knew their movie sucked. Didn't even begin to hint at the movie's horrible plot in the trailer for that movie.

Edited by Thorny

I'm still stuck in the middle of Breaking Bad because it's such a time commitment. 

But I've blown through It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and I might start that one right over as soon as I finish. 

Also, this week's episode of Rick and Morty...the amount of story lines they crammed into 22 minutes, you'd have thought it was a 3 hour movie. Incredible. 

I'm still stuck in the middle of Breaking Bad because it's such a time commitment. 

But I've blown through It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and I might start that one right over as soon as I finish. 

Also, this week's episode of Rick and Morty...the amount of story lines they crammed into 22 minutes, you'd have thought it was a 3 hour movie. Incredible.

I don't recall whether it was season 3 or 4 of Breaking Bad, but there's definitely a stretch of episodes in the middle where I kind of hated all of the characters. But once you get to the last few episodes of that season, it's hard not to binge through the remaining ones.

Anybody watch Bojack Horseman on Netflix? 

One of the best shows of the last decade. It can be pretty heavy on some really serious topics, but it's also very funny. 

Absolutely love it. Painful to watch sometimes (the Penny story arc and Sarah Lynn's as well). But loads of visual puns. Been a fan of Lisa Hanawalt's bizarre animal art for years, long before the show.

Has one of my favorite show quotes ever-

Wanda (the owl): "You know, it's funny. When you look at someone through rose colored glasses, all of the red flags just look like flags".

And the underwater episode is awesome. Classic gag done really damn well in my opinion.

Season 4 is out.  It's a wild roller coaster ride.  I literally cried tears of sadness and tears of joy.  At times it's very trippy.

And if you haven't watched an BoJack Horseman yet, start now with Season 1.  I think watching Season 3 and Season 4 back to back without having seen them before would be pretty awesome.

Season 4 is out.  It's a wild roller coaster ride.  I literally cried tears of sadness and tears of joy.  At times it's very trippy.

And if you haven't watched an BoJack Horseman yet, start now with Season 1.  I think watching Season 3 and Season 4 back to back without having seen them before would be pretty awesome.

I'm starting this as soon as Sunny is done.

Does anyone here watch the Strain? Really good vampire/apocalypse type show on FX that is down to the series finale next week (after 4 seasons). It's a shame it's ending after only 4 seasons, but I guess that's better than jumping the shark and running too long.

I tried to get into it but the weirdo tongue action was too much for me

Does anyone here watch the Strain? Really good vampire/apocalypse type show on FX that is down to the series finale next week (after 4 seasons). It's a shame it's ending after only 4 seasons, but I guess that's better than jumping the shark and running too long.

You and I have different definitions of 'very good'.

I recently re-watched; The Imitation Game, what a wonderful flick, a peek into history mixed in with serious social issues that were not tolerated. I caught it on accident at a cheap theater when it was new-ish and I am glad I did.

Great movie, but it makes me mad for two reasons

1) Turing was not some Sheldon-like character from the Big Bang Theory with social limitations and some sort of mental disability. He was, by most accounts, not at all like this.

2) Turing was openly gay. His friends and colleagues knew, and he openly made advances on men in public. His computer was never named after some childhood crush, and he didn't care what most people though about, well, anything

You and I have different definitions of 'very good'.

Different strokes for different folks. I've really enjoyed the show. The whole Nazi vs Jew struggle over many decades between one of the main heroes (the pawnbroker Abraham Setrakian) and one of the main villains (former Nazi and vampire Eichorst), the CDC stuff at the very beginning before the outbreak, the back and forth chess game as the humans and the strigoi/vampires attempted different ways to defeat each other, and the nuclear winter/apocalypse aspect. Plus, like I said earlier it was great seeing a vampire show where the vampires looked like actual monsters instead of sparkly teens or runway models like those Twilight movies or True Blood.

It was never my favorite show by any stretch (I could probably name 20 I like better with no difficulty), but it kept me entertained for 4 seasons and I'm sorry to see it go.