Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

You mean the movie where Fred Astaire and his boys killed that girl and she comes back as someone else to kill them all?

Not sure I'd go with touching.

I was 18 when I went to see Ghost Story with my cousin in Buffalo.

Scare the poop out of you scary at the time, but now it seems rather fake.

We went and saw Atomic Blonde tonight and it was everything I want from a movie that is meant to just entertain. I'm really big on things like soundtracks and movie cars, so a 80's period piece gives me plenty to enjoy. Plus in an age of too much cgi in action movies it continues to be refreshing to see Charlize Theron once again doing her own stunts.

Also,

giphy.gif

It's not just too much CGI, it's also too much wonky editing to cover for actors not being able to fight. You see it in Marvel movies and most GoT fight scenes. Cutting around the impacts and hatcheting something together that sort of resembles fighting.

Not in Atomic Blonde. They rarely cut before getting two (sometimes more) different framings in a shot. They can do this because Charlize Theron is a badass, and it becomes a meaningful abstraction of violence rather than bashing for bashings sake.

I liked the score, but I thought the implementation of it was inconsistent. It had the same problem baby driver did in parts, where the score was wall-to-wall and the lack of silence diminished the music.

I didn't like that the colors are washed out, but at least it was a decision that informed the setting.

Also the setting was awesome, James MacAvoy is awesome, and the framing device was weird.

Also James MacAvoy's giant coats are awesome.

--------------------

Annabelle Creation is reeeaaally good. James Wan is so much better than Marvel at the whole interconnected universe thing.

Edited by qwksndmonster

It's not just too much CGI, it's also too much wonky editing to cover for actors not being able to fight. You see it in Marvel movies and most GoT fight scenes. Cutting around the impacts and hatcheting something together that sort of resembles fighting.

Not in Atomic Blonde. They rarely cut before getting two (sometimes more) different framings in a shot. They can do this because Charlize Theron is a ###### badass, and it becomes a meaningful abstraction of violence rather than bashing for bashings sake.

I liked the score, but I thought the implementation of it was inconsistent. It had the same problem baby driver did in parts, where the score was wall-to-wall and the lack of silence diminished the music.

I didn't like that the colors are washed out, but at least it was a decision that informed the setting.

Also the setting was awesome, James MacAvoy is awesome, and the framing device was weird.

Also James MacAvoy's giant coats are awesome.

--------------------

Annabelle Creation is reeeaaally good. James Wan is so much better than Marvel at the whole interconnected universe thing.

Marvel's is still pretty good. I recently rewatched the entire MCU and there are a lot of little things that make it work. It was slightly surprising actually, upon rewatch.

Looking forward to Annabelle.

Marvel's is still pretty good. I recently rewatched the entire MCU and there are a lot of little things that make it work. It was slightly surprising actually, upon rewatch.

Looking forward to Annabelle.

I think Marvel has done a lot of great work with the MCU, the Cap movies especially. The character arcs of Cap/Iron Man are really interesting and super detailed. Tony Stark is back in a comfortable situation, similar to the beginning of Iron Man one. He's insulated himself from the guilt and responsibility of being an avenger. His part in spiderman homecoming is great, and continues his arc.

But where I start having problems with the MCU is how completely disconnected the setting and tones are of different movies. Thor, Guardians, Dr Strange, Ant Man, etc. It's good that they set out to try a lot of different things, but I think the way they try to connect everything is misguided. A lot of the connections are mostly superficial.

Every Marvel movie has to be over 2 hours and they all feel so bloated to me. If your movie is longer than 90 minutes there better be a damn good reason. A lot of that extra time is spent on set-up for future stuff. I think this restricts the ability of MCU movies to capitalize on being self-contained stories.

I think Marvel is doing a good job, but the action they film is just really not for me. And long movies are not for me (BUT I FREAKIN' GO SEE THEM TWICE ANYWAYS).

The way The Conjuring Universe utilizes the interconnectedness feels a lot more organic. And it creates this steven king universe-esque oppressive feeling that these evil occurances have happened/are happening/will continue to happen in the small isolated parts of the world. And we will never hear about it. Because this is just the world.

^ Right? I cannot recommend this movie enough.

That ~10 minute continuous no-edit action sequence was mind-blowing.

Fun fact- that was actually over 40 takes stitched together beautifully, and one of the only times a stuntwoman steps in for Charlize.

Not like I noticed or cared. Oh man. Glued to the soundtrack today. 

And I for one am thrilled she was bi. This was Theron's pet project she'd been pushing for 5 years- you can thank Mad Max's success for it existing. More please. 

I loved the colors. I loved the artistic decisions. 

And this is also the first time I've ever felt vaguely attracted to James McAvoy. Still more attracted to Sofia Boutella, but... I love how they showed normal goody two shoes good guy McAvoy in his headshot and then cut to alkie druggie punker feral McAvoy. 

Swamp -- if you have HBO, the top 3, without question, are The Sopranos, The Wire and Deadwood.  Then Game of Thrones, if you liked The Lord of the Rings but you want an R-rated version.  Or Curb Your Enthusiasm, if you want a comedy.

Not sure how I missed The Wire when it was originally on but because of the bolded I started binging on it this weekend. I'm about 1/2 way thru the first season, I'm hooked. I hope it stays good. Yeah that may not sound like much of a binge but I also binged the first season on Ozark this weekend, I'm binged out. 

Not sure how I missed The Wire when it was originally on but because of the bolded I started binging on it this weekend. I'm about 1/2 way thru the first season, I'm hooked. I hope it stays good. Yeah that may not sound like much of a binge but I also binged the first season on Ozark this weekend, I'm binged out. 

My favorite show, many people didn't like Season 2 but Season 3 and especially Season 4 are great. 

Edited by Lanny

My favorite show, many people didn't like Season 2 but Season 3 and especially Season 4 are great. 

Yes -- 1, 3 and 4 are the best.  I thought Season 2 was pretty good but not quite as good as the other 3.  Season 5 was still worth watching but definitely the least compelling of the 5.

Separately -- I watched a few episodes of "Rick and Morty" with my son this weekend.  Very funny.

Yes -- 1, 3 and 4 are the best. I thought Season 2 was pretty good but not quite as good as the other 3. Season 5 was still worth watching but definitely the least compelling of the 5.

Separately -- I watched a few episodes of "Rick and Morty" with my son this weekend. Very funny.

Season 2 was the docks and the longshoreman's union, right? That season was awesome. Dude getting drunk with his pet duck at the bar. That may have been one of my favorite seasons.

I agree on season 5 though. You could tell they were heading into wrap up mode, especially after many of the better charcter started getting picked off.

Edited by Drunkard