Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

Saw Arrival last night. I liked it. The music at the end was a little over the top (and by a little, I mean a lot). Other than that, I thought it was excellent.

It was one of the in flight movie choices. It was OK. Maybe it was the vilume control and the ear buds, but I hated the sound overall in that movie.

Edited by We've

The Ranch on Netflix is a great show. Has Sam Elliot, Ashton Kutcher and Danny Masterson. I highly recommend it.

I've seen about half of season 1 and although I wouldn't go quite as far as you have, I've enjoyed it and think it's pretty funny.

Separately: I watched "the Accountant" on the plane today. Pretty good thriller.

A little late to the party here, but Fear the Walking Dead is so much better than its more famous cousin. Season 3 will be coming out sometime this year.

This is certainly not the majority opinion. I like FTWD but I don't think it rivals TWD in any fashion. I think the actors on TWD can act circles around FTWD crew. Now the storyline on TWD has become a bit repetitive but Neagan has certainly upped the anti a bit. Good actor (as opposed to the Governor), enticing story and just a brutality that a show about zombies rarely approaches anymore.

I watched all the old Mad Maxes.

Mad Max (1979): This movie is terrible. It's a 90 minute 1st act. What makes it stick out are the (lack of) stakes and the setting. It's this weird apocalypse-lite where the roads seem to be the only lawless part of the land. Civilization seems more or less in tact, otherwise. This is one of those sucky old movies that we're lucky blew up. Because then we got... (The Saw franchise! No seriously)

...Mad Max 2 (1981)! Released in the USA as The Road Warrior, Mad Max 2 turns up everything to 11. After making the first movie on a shoe-string budget, now George Miller really got to sink his teeth into the setting and blow up some cars. This is the old one that most reminds me of Fury Road.

Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome (1985) is the weirdest of the series. It's very of its time, straight copying the plot points and tone of Temple of Doom and Return of the Jedi. Not anywhere near as good as Mad Max 2.

None of the Mad Max movies seem to be tied to one another's continuity, which is a really smart choice, I think. Every re-imagining of the wasteland gives us something new.

It was lots of fun seeing the original wasteland that inspired the Fallout universe. Also seeing the seeds that would eventually grow into Fury Road was neat.

I'm pretty sure that Max is something like 1/3 as crazy as Mel Gibson currently is.

Edited by qwksndmonster

From the 40 minute mark to the 70 minute mark, Max and his lady go on vacation.

No flow, no narrative focus, barely any characters, and no payoff shots on the action scenes (not anybody's fault, they just had no money). Max doesn't even get Mad until the last 15 minutes!

I like the way the bad guys talk about Nightrider, and that that's where Max's car comes from.

And I've never seen the cars that ate paris haha. It looks bonkers!

I watched all the old Mad Maxes.

Mad Max (1979): This movie is terrible. It's a 90 minute 1st act. What makes it stick out are the (lack of) stakes and the setting. It's this weird apocalypse-lite where the roads seem to be the only lawless part of the land. Civilization seems more or less in tact, otherwise. This is one of those sucky old movies that we're lucky blew up. Because then we got... (The Saw franchise! No seriously)

Alright, here I go...

I can see that opinion. A lot of older movies are kinda like that. I remember being brought up being told Deer Hunter was up there with Citizen Kane. And I watched it (DH, not CK) with my mom who'd held that opinion and it was astounding how it dragged on. Slow. Honestly, boring. I think we're so used to action movies and quick exposition that those movies have aged painfully for many audiences. And even though it's a wildly different kind of movie, I felt the same with Citizen Kane, since I mentioned it. 

I look at it as artsy. It is artsy. It's like a sick fever dream. I think of Vanishing Point that way as well, or Easy Rider. There's a lot of nothingness because, well, there's a lot of nothingness in his life now. And it's that era- you couldn't make that movie today unless you were PAINFULLY art about it. 

Miller was an ER doc in Australia and would see the car culture kids coming in absolutely ripped and torn up from recklessness/real life mad max-ing on the roads, and all they cared about was getting back behind the wheel and going at it again until death. Really laid out his ideas for the franchise.

3 is the campiest, silly movie out there. Absolutely ridiculous. 

If you saw Fury Road first, I totally get why you'd dislike the original. Action and not that much of a plot with lots of symbolism vs the whole idea of the movie being a canvas and lots of staring into the middle distance... FR will win every time.

I like FR better than the original. But I'm also one of those danggummed feminists who loves that female badass Furiosa. 

From the 40 minute mark to the 70 minute mark, Max and his lady go on vacation.

No flow, no narrative focus, barely any characters, and no payoff shots on the action scenes (not anybody's fault, they just had no money). Max doesn't even get Mad until the last 15 minutes!

I like the way the bad guys talk about Nightrider, and that that's where Max's car comes from.

And I've never seen the cars that ate paris haha. It looks bonkers!

I get that there's a lot of buildup, but that's sort of the point. You know, back before people had painfully short attention spans we used to set stories up. Max had to go Mad somehow, right? What better than the slow burn that is the infiltration of lawlessness/disorder into the lives or normal people, especially one who is an agent of the law? His buddy gets mangled, Fifi tries to convince him that all isn't lost and that society isn't crumbling (but he knows that's not true), and then just when he decides to take a vacation to renew his spirits and commitment to society and law, he and his own family become the victims of that ever encroaching anti-social wave. So all of this stuff that he's trying to pretend isn't so bad suddenly becomes the only thing that exists to him. Society falls apart before his very eyes. I've always appreciated that slow burn in the first Mad Max. It makes the chaos of the second one all the more meaningful. 

You might recognize some nods to CTA Paris in Fury Road if you watch it again after. I bet the whole movie is out on youtube somewhere. 

You might recognize some nods to CTA Paris in Fury Road if you watch it again after. I bet the whole movie is out on youtube somewhere. 

Namely:

cars_that_ate_paris.jpg

CTAP

4d89ca4e1f659cfae865e071998764b1.jpg

Fury Road

Oh man, you got d4rk and I going.... sorry... 

Edited by Josie914

The feminism of FR is soooo good. Like not only is this the tightest, most exciting action movie, but it's also about the commoditizaton of the female body. How many meat heads went to see it and still didn't realize that? How many fake ass liberals got on it for being fan-service?

It's so great that Furiosa and Max kick eachother's ass and we don't have to watch a scene where tough guy Max flexes his machismo afterwards. They don't talk about how great the other is at stuff. They meet in the thick of things and trust one another. (Furiosa being a LOT more trusting than Max at first)

The entire way the story is set up is brilliant. Furiosa is the protagonist of the story, but Max is the protagonist of the film. The plot's pace is directly dictated by Max's ability to let other people into his life.

The feminism of FR is soooo good. Like not only is this the tightest, most exciting action movie, but it's also about the commoditizaton of the female body. How many meat heads went to see it and still didn't realize that? How many fake ass liberals got on it for being fan-service?

It's so great that Furiosa and Max kick eachother's ass and we don't have to watch a scene where tough guy Max flexes his machismo afterwards. They don't talk about how great the other is at stuff. They meet in the thick of things and trust one another. (Furiosa being a LOT more trusting than Max at first)

The entire way the story is set up is brilliant. Furiosa is the protagonist of the story, but Max is the protagonist of the film. The plot's pace is directly dictated by Max's ability to let other people into his life.

Preach.

I love those sorts of movies, but the main characters are almost always male. This is going to sound so stupid, so bear with me. But if I'm driving around and daydreaming about driving like a badass, it's usually oh, the calmness of james bond, or hey, the tough/cool combo of steve mcqueen. Female heroines are always so conditional, or convenient romantic partners. They often transform to become the badass, they usually just aren't to begin with. And if they are, they're a side character. Or if they ARE a badass, they're a fighting f*cktoy with 6 jiggles per sword swipe. 

Then came Furiosa, and I had a badass female role model I could cosplay or "bring out" when needed. And she's on solid earth. Not a space queen, not some mythical goddess lady, a human being us flesh bags can relate to. Without sexay boobies and a$$ on parade (which hey, i love from time to time, but every action movie?). I mean, god, Charlize Theron is easily one of the most beautiful human beings on the planet, but there she was, of normal build, running sh!t. 

Yep yep, cheesy cheesy, it's just a movie, but oy. Now we just need more like that. 

Edited by Josie914

I get that there's a lot of buildup, but that's sort of the point. You know, back before people had painfully short attention spans we used to set stories up. Max had to go Mad somehow, right? What better than the slow burn that is the infiltration of lawlessness/disorder into the lives or normal people, especially one who is an agent of the law? His buddy gets mangled, Fifi tries to convince him that all isn't lost and that society isn't crumbling (but he knows that's not true), and then just when he decides to take a vacation to renew his spirits and commitment to society and law, he and his own family become the victims of that ever encroaching anti-social wave. So all of this stuff that he's trying to pretend isn't so bad suddenly becomes the only thing that exists to him. Society falls apart before his very eyes. I've always appreciated that slow burn in the first Mad Max. It makes the chaos of the second one all the more meaningful.

The slow burn doesn't have to be slow, though. There's no hook in the first 60 minutes of the movie. I'm a huge proponent of watching films in one sitting and I split this one. If I wasn't watching for educational purposes, I wouldn't have finished it.

If the plot isn't going to take us anywhere, then there better be something to capture the audience: mystery, character, visuals, or something. Max losing himself to the road is an interesting arc, but we never learned anything about Max or his Lady despite the enormous amount of screentime they chew up together on their vacation. The beginning of the movie is almost entirely about Goose. The bad guys are sprinkled in here and there but there's never any momentum to what's happening with them.

I don't agree with saying that Mad Max is an old movie and that's how old movies were paced. It's just paced badly.

Preach.

I love those sorts of movies, but the main characters are almost always male. This is going to sound so stupid, so bear with me. But if I'm driving around and daydreaming about driving like a badass, it's usually oh, the calmness of james bond, or hey, the tough/cool combo of steve mcqueen. Female heroines are always so conditional, or convenient romantic partners. They often transform to become the badass, they usually just aren't to begin with. And if they are, they're a side character. Or if they ARE a badass, they're a fighting f*cktoy with 6 jiggles per sword swipe.

Then came Furiosa, and I had a badass female role model I could cosplay or "bring out" when needed. And she's on solid earth. Not a space queen, not some mythical goddess lady, a human being us flesh bags can relate to. Without sexay boobies and a$$ on parade (which hey, i love from time to time, but every action movie?). I mean, god, Charlize Theron is easily one of the most beautiful human beings on the planet, but there she was, of normal build, running sh!t.

Yep yep, cheesy cheesy, it's just a movie, but oy. Now we just need more like that.

No love for Black Mamba? She was all girl and completely badass.