Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

I've got a day all to myself come 10:30. I'll be going to see Logan this afternoon, all alone. Can't wait!

Heard it's kick arss!  According to critics, this is the Wolverine movie people have been waiting for.  An incredible send off for Hugh Jackman as Wolverine.  Makers of Marvel Comics movies are showing R rated movies can be successful.  

Edited by GoPre

My friend that I visit every Friday (the guy confined to a wheel chair since a car accident) had emergency dental surgery last Wednesday.  We always just sit and talk, but he couldn't so we watched some movies.

Office Space was pretty funny and the Muhammad Ali Story was awesome and a reminder of what a great man he was ... of course, some would disagree with my assessment of him, but the documentary was very good.

I've got a day all to myself come 10:30. I'll be going to see Logan this afternoon, all alone. Can't wait!

Heard it's kick arss!  According to critics, this is the Wolverine movie people have been waiting for.  An incredible send off for Hugh Jackman as Wolverine.  Makers of Marvel Comics movies are showing R rated movies can be successful.  

Just got back from it.  Great movie.  It's a Wolverine movie that feels like No Country for Old Men.  It's a heavy movie, though, and a big break from the overall fun movies that Marvel has been making the last 10 years so we'll see how fans react to that.

My friend that I visit every Friday (the guy confined to a wheel chair since a car accident) had emergency dental surgery last Wednesday. We always just sit and talk, but he couldn't so we watched some movies.

Office Space was pretty funny and the Muhammad Ali Story was awesome and a reminder of what a great man he was ... of course, some would disagree with my assessment of him, but the documentary was very good.

Hang on... would you have us believe that was the first time you'd seen Office Space? :o

Hang on... would you have us believe that was the first time you'd seen Office Space? :o

Office Space is a classic.  

Attempted to watch a movie made in the 90's that people may consider a must see.  It was Boogie Nights.  It sucked. 

Office Space is a classic.  

Attempted to watch a movie made in the 90's that people may consider a must see.  It was Boogie Nights.  It sucked.

I recently re-watched The Goonies, which I loved as a child. It was so, so, terrible, lol.

"Moonlight" didn't really shine for me. It's my kind of movie — drama, human-centered. Maybe the buildup was too much.

I don't think this movie comes close to winning without the political themes and the whole Oscar's So White controversy of a year ago.

The acting was fine, the story was compelling. It was a touch overwraught, with a huge, perfectly time tear streaking down the main character's face in the scene with his mother at rehab, the best friend who has to hit his best friend to not get bullied himself, even the final scene.

Help me qwk, I just don't see what it brought artistically (sound, editing, direction, the art of film etc.). There were some gimmicky things, lights flashing before each part of the trilogy, a pan up to the moon over kids playing in the water, two dream sequences.

Good flick. The best of the year though?

I saw Moonlight again earlier this week. Very deserving of the best picture oscar.

Saying that it wouldn't have won without the Oscars So White is a loaded statement. Like, yeah, the Academy probably would've had no problem giving the award to La La Land if it wasn't for the political context. But what the Academy normally does is not any sort of measure of quality or fairness. The Oscars aren't concerned with all movies, they're concerned with prestige films that come out between the months of september and december. Usually (always) white movies by established filmmakers.

That said, Moonlight absolutely deserved to win out of this year's crop. Fences is the only other film that's close. I'd probably have picked Fences, but I can understand choosing Moonlight because Fences is very much an expertly adapted play, while Moonlight is a triumph of high art filmmaking.

As for being overwraught, I disagree.

Read a plot summary of best screenplay winner Manchester-by-the-sea if you wanna calibrate to the Academy's standards.

For a movie that engages with the themes of systemic racism, the criminalization of african americans, the war on drugs in the 90s, homophobia, and child abuse; Moonlight is an incredibly optimistic film. It focuses on the human sensitivity of these young people in ways that other films never come close to.

As for Oscars So White, the Academy only really acknowledged black and white artists this year. Plenty of other deserving films by minorities were completely forgotten.

Off the top of my head, Park-Chan Wook's The Handmaiden deserved a best picture nomination, a cinematography nomination, and a best adapted script nomination; and probably should've won for cinematography.

While we're talking Oscar snubs, Amy Adams not getting a best leading actress nomination for Arrival is a joke. Rebecca Hall not getting a nomination for Christine is a joke. And Denzel losing best actor to Casey Abuser Affleck is a joke.

Edited by qwksndmonster

I saw Moonlight again earlier this week. Very deserving of the best picture oscar.

Saying that it wouldn't have won without the Oscars So White is a loaded statement. Like, yeah, the Academy probably would've had no problem giving the award to La La Land if it wasn't for the political context. But what the Academy normally does is not any sort of measure of quality or fairness. The Oscars aren't concerned with all movies, they're concerned with prestige films that come out between the months of september and december. Usually (always) white movies by established filmmakers.

That said, Moonlight absolutely deserved to win out of this year's crop. Fences is the only other film that's close. I'd probably have picked Fences, but I can understand choosing Moonlight because Fences is very much an expertly adapted play, while Moonlight is a triumph of high art filmmaking.

As for being overwraught, I disagree.

Read a plot summary of best screenplay winner Manchester-by-the-sea if you wanna calibrate to the Academy's standards.

For a movie that engages with the themes of systemic racism, the criminalization of african americans, the war on drugs in the 90s, homophobia, and child abuse; Moonlight is an incredibly optimistic film.It focuses on the human sensitivity of these young people in ways that other films never come close to.

As for Oscars So White, the Academy only really acknowledged black and white artists this year. Plenty of other deserving films by minorities were completely forgotten.

Off the top of my head, Park-Chan Wook's The Handmaiden deserved a best picture nomination, a cinematography nomination, and a best adapted script nomination; and probably should've won for cinematography.

While we're talking Oscar snubs, Amy Adams not getting a best leading actress nomination for Arrival is a joke. Rebecca Hall not getting a nomination for Christine is a joke. And Denzel losing best actor to Casey Abuser Affleck is a joke.

Well said. I agree it was very much deserving of the win.

As for the bolded, I thought that too, and was surprised after seeing it, having heard the movie was "depressing" from more than one source.

Just saw a commercial the other night for season 3 of "Fargo" -- starting in April on FX.

Season 2 was the best show on TV in 2015, IMHO.

Also, "The Americans" just started the other day on FX -- also one of the best shows on TV.

And at the risk of losing my man card, "Girls" has been excellent this year and I'm also enjoying "Big little lies" (which includes, for those who are interested, a pretty good amount of Nicole Kidman on display).