Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

Who cares if I did or not? It's a douche thing to toss a movie spoiler onto a meme about artery-clogging junk food.

I hope your PTO in fall gets denied and you have to work a 9 hour shift.

True, it is.

It won't. I grant my own pto. :p

Who cares if I did or not? It's a douche thing to toss a movie spoiler onto a meme about artery-clogging junk food.

I hope your PTO in fall gets denied and you have to work a 9 hour shift.

I absolutely DETEST spoilers, especially in places where you wouldn't expect to see them. It's completely crappy that you were spoiled, you can only take solace in the fact that all great movies get better with multiple viewings, so while it sucks to lose that initial surprise factor, it won't be the defining aspect of quality movies.

Doesn't remove the sting of the spoiler, but at least it's something.

I have 4 nieces and need to be up to date on my Disney/cartoon movies... I just wanna say, Moana/zootopia/inside out were all great flicks for being of the children's variety.

Saw the last two and agree. Have yet to see Moana but have heard great reviews from my adult friends.

Manchester by the Sea was outstanding. Not sure what the whole "it's too depressing" thing is all about. I thought it was hopeful and surprisingly funny in spots. Damon's capture of the whole Boston/Mass vibe is impressive. I came away thinking, hey, there's a movie that looked like an Academy Award winner.

As for Affleck not being worthy because he's a scumbag or something, I don't agree that should have any bearing. If you think that, it only raises the suspicion that you'd give another movie an Academy Award out of political correctness and not out of artistic merit.

Manchester by the Sea was outstanding. Not sure what the whole "it's too depressing" thing is all about. I thought it was hopeful and surprisingly funny in spots. Damon's capture of the whole Boston/Mass vibe is impressive. I came away thinking, hey, there's a movie that looked like an Academy Award winner.

As for Affleck not being worthy because he's a scumbag or something, I don't agree that should have any bearing. If you think that, it only raises the suspicion that you'd give another movie an Academy Award out of political correctness and not out of artistic merit.

Yep, there are a few actors I do not support what they do or not do away from the screen.  I simply focus on their acting in movie.  Not giving my opinion on Affleck's day to day life, but I really enjoy his movies.  The Town is one of my favorites.  Same goes for Jamie Foxx and Tom Cruise.  They delivered in Collateral. 

I have 4 nieces and need to be up to date on my Disney/cartoon movies... I just wanna say, Moana/zootopia/inside out were all great flicks for being of the children's variety.

Along this line, you have to see Kubo and the Two Strings as well.  That, Inside Out, and Secret Life of Pets were all really good imo.  I usually don't watch these types of movies and just leave them for the kids, but I liked these three.

I really liked Lucas Hedges in Manchester. He was so fun, and I wish the movie had been bent around his character rather than Casey Affleck's. We get the freezer thing and that's basically the only representation of grief about losing his father. The way the movie's structured, I have no idea what the screenplay was trying to accomplish with the final hour. The flashback in the middle is the climax of the film, and the emotional center (also, that flashback is what I would call overwraught). I didn't find Casey Affleck's character to be interesting in the slightest. His acting was fine, but it wasn't even close to his performance in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. And it certainly wasn't in the same ballpark as Denzel in Fences. That's why he's not worthy, not because he's a scumbag.

You can't say that politics shouldn't get in the way of who wins what because everything is political. The Academy has its own politics, and those politics heavily favor white actors. Also, the academy is fine with forgiving people we know to be scumbags and bigots. Mel Gibson's movie is allowed to win a bunch of awards and everybody is ready to forget that Casey Abuser Affleck is, indeed, a woman abuser. By saying politics shouldn't come into the decision you really mean that no politics but those of the academy should come into the decision.

Edited by qwksndmonster

"Homeland" is freaking terrible this season.

I loved it so much but bringing winey Carrie back and Quinn being half the man he used to be has been frustrating. I thought Dar Adol was a great character but his admission two weeks ago was a little shark jumpy. I want this show to be so good and it's breaking my heart to see it meandering so.

I loved it so much but bringing winey Carrie back and Quinn being half the man he used to be has been frustrating. I thought Dar Adol was a great character but his admission two weeks ago was a little shark jumpy. I want this show to be so good and it's breaking my heart to see it meandering so.

I think Season 1 was terrific, a few of the other seasons were quite good and a couple were OK, but I'm finding this season by far the worst -- boring, predictable, ridiculous and a chore to get through.  If my wife wasn't determined to see it through to the bitter end I would have bailed by now.

Along this line, you have to see Kubo and the Two Strings as well.  That, Inside Out, and Secret Life of Pets were all really good imo.  I usually don't watch these types of movies and just leave them for the kids, but I liked these three.

I'm going to offer one that I just learned of last night.... Kung Fu Panda 3. It's on Netflix. Yes, you heard me, a sequel of a sequel. And I'd vouch that it's the best of the three, or slightly below the original. 

A grumpy movie reviewer I follow said it was good, I found other reviews saying it's surprisingly good and has heart, so d4rk and I gave it a whirl last night.

Really quite sweet, gorgeous animation, and they really let the artists go nuts with style (some interesting 2D animation styles and nearly video game like parallaxing backgrounds). I'm not even a Jack Black fan, but it's good, and a shame no one bothered with it because we all, including myself, assumed it was yet another awful rushed cash grab on a far too stretched franchise. 

Looking forward to a couple in the next few months: Dunkirk and Wonder Woman (oh god oh GOD please don't screw this one up). 

Looking forward to a couple in the next few months: Dunkirk and Wonder Woman (oh god oh GOD please don't screw this one up).

Don't worry, they didn't. They casted Gal Gadot. Game over. I can watch her hair blow in slow motion while she's walking for at least 2 hours before I get bored.

Don't worry, they didn't. They casted Gal Gadot. Game over. I can watch her hair blow in slow motion while she's walking for at least 2 hours before I get bored.

Yeah, eh, needs to be a bit better than "oh look, hot lady".

I worry she might be too monotone. I've watched all the trailers multiple times, she has no inflection/expression and it worries me. 

BUT I'm not a ScarJo fan yet love Black Widow, so I'll take what I can get haha 

Yeah, eh, needs to be a bit better than "oh look, hot lady".

I worry she might be too monotone. I've watched all the trailers multiple times, she has no inflection/expression and it worries me.

BUT I'm not a ScarJo fan yet love Black Widow, so I'll take what I can get haha

Nonsense :p