Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

I'm not willing to forget? And I'm sick of white men being able to do whatever they want and getting showered with awards/election victories?

So even if Affleck was worthy of the award (you said you didn't think he was worthy, but only because Denzel was better), you wouldn't want him to get it? Out of political correctness?

If so, is it unfair to think you might want to see a movie with certain political themes win the Academy Award for best picture, for a similar extraneous reason?

Anyway, my whole point was not seeing what made Moonlight a best picture, beyond the braveness with which is addressed certain themes. Because when the mother shouted "!" at her son, we didn't hear her voice? Just trying to drill down into the art of it that I must have missed. Was the acting that good? The writing? The musical score?

Just what is the importance of attaching Abuser to Affleck's name in discussions about his acting?

Because the rest of us would lose our jobs if our employers found out that we were being/had been accused of sexual assault? Affleck seemed more than happy to buy his way out of trouble, so most of us know that this means there are lines to be read between regarding his guilt. 

It must be nice to have that kind of privilege to wave money at your problems and make them go away. Privilege that comes directly from his...wait for it...acting. 

Because the rest of us would lose our jobs if our employers found out that we were being/had been accused of sexual assault? Affleck seemed more than happy to buy his way out of trouble, so most of us know that this means there are lines to be read between regarding his guilt. 

It must be nice to have that kind of privilege to wave money at your problems and make them go away. Privilege that comes directly from his...wait for it...acting. 

And what of the women who were happy to take the money and not do something that might prevent another woman from being abused?

Let's not do this. People can re-read the various Kane threads.

I can't make you retroactively enjoy Moonlight. It's a film, and it didn't seem to be to your taste.

But yes, the acting was that amazing. Mahershala Ali is incredible. The three actor's that played Chiron and Kevin were amazing, especially youngest Chiron. Janelle Monae appears to be a literal angel, and the best triple threat around today.

Coming in hot and saying Moonlight wouldn't have won without oscars so white was borderline offensive but I kept it cool. Now it seems like you really want to take the movie to task for... some reason.

And what of the women who were happy to take the money and not do something that might prevent another woman from being abused?

Bringing victim blaming into this too. Thanks old man.

I can't make you retroactively enjoy Moonlight. It's a film, and it didn't seem to be to your taste.

But yes, the acting was that amazing. Mahershala Ali is incredible. The three actor's that played Chiron and Kevin were amazing, especially youngest Chiron. Janelle Monae appears to be a literal angel, and the best triple threat around today.

I did enjoy the movie. I said so. I didn't think it was Academy Award material.

By the way, I felt much more sympathy for the young Chiron than the eventual man who emerged. Whose fault was it that he assaulted the bully, looking like he was about to murder him? That he emerged from juvie to deal drugs? Then climbed the ranks to be just like his mentor, right down to the dashboard ornament? Society's?

I liked the contrast between him and Kevin, who, it sounded like, truly got sold up the river on some baloney charge. But he's there in the cafe doing an honest job, in his kid's life. And he needs a ride home.

Edited by PASabreFan

Hey, you're the one who needed it spelled out. I'm giving you what you want.

It was a civil case. There was never going to be "prevention" in the sense you're thinking. He wasn't going to jail.

But no one who can afford to litigate a civil case offers a settlement unless they have something to lose in an area that isn't their checkbook. If I'm the plaintiffs I totally take the settlement because of the subtext that accompanies it: Affleck is a creep, be warned. In theory this accomplishes that "prevention" without having to take the suit all the way. And Affleck offers the settlement because it provides what he thinks is some doubt as to the truth of the claims made against​ him. But the warning is issued. It's up to you if you want to take note of it or sweep it under the rug.

Get Out is reeaaallly good.

That's where I'd rank it: Really good.  I think it may have been overhyped for me by the time I saw it today.  Definitely a well-made thriller but I figured out the twist about halfway through.

Liked Logan a little better and John Wick 2 is still my favorite movie this year based on its flawless second half.

That's where I'd rank it: Really good. I think it may have been overhyped for me by the time I saw it today. Definitely a well-made thriller but I figured out the twist about halfway through.

Liked Logan a little better and John Wick 2 is still my favorite movie this year based on its flawless second half.

Wait. Get Out has a twist?

Reveal? What do you want to call it?

It's a little different for me because I saw the trailer a couple times before I saw it. It pretty much establishes exactly what's gonna go down.

Which, I think speaks to the movie's strength. The pacing is soaked in dramatic irony, and it never once hurts the story that we know more than the main character does.

I've watched the first three episodes of Big Little Lies and I'm having a blast. It's got Nicole Kidman and Reese Witherspoon in good roles and they're both great. It's a kind of like a less serious, pulpier True Detective (season 1). Except it's about rich people and their children. It's mysterious and compelling.

It's on hbo and episode 5 comes out tomorrow.