Around the NHL 2016-2017

spndnchz

With Edmonton making the playoffs, breaking a 10 season drought, only the Hurricanes (7) have a longer drought in the league than us (5)

Are the Pegula's really about to own the two longest playoff droughts in both leagues? Cause the Canes are breaking theirs next season

Don't look now, but if they win their game in hand on Boston they sit 2 points out with 6 games left

Crazier things have happened

Oilers are ditching their blue and orange jerseys and going to a straight orange one for the playoffs and beyond.

Also I'm of the belief that Babcock wins at least one or two cups with the roster Toronto is building and his message probably got old in Detroit.

Anyone see the attempted hit by young tchachk on Drew Doughty last night? He jumped at least a foot into the air and turned his back to the hit ( a la Risto ) and almost decapitated Doughty. Doughty saw him last second and fell backwards to the ice to slide under the hit and avoid certain injury. Young Tchachk is a real piece of work.

Anyone see the attempted hit by young tchachk on Drew Doughty last night? He jumped at least a foot into the air and turned his back to the hit ( a la Risto ) and almost decapitated Doughty. Doughty saw him last second and fell backwards to the ice to slide under the hit and avoid certain injury. Young Tchachk is a real piece of work.

By "piece of work" do you mean POS?

I went and watched the near hit. Tkachuck went airborne because Doughty slid under. Otherwise, that might have been a fair hit.

That elbow from earlier in the year, OTOH, was feckin' awful.

By "piece of work" do you mean POS?

I went and watched the near hit. Tkachuck went airborne because Doughty slid under. Otherwise, that might have been a fair hit.

That elbow from earlier in the year, OTOH, was feckin' awful.

I like the fact Doughty is being bullied by a 19 year old. Its hilarious how much Tkachuck is in the guys head

Bruins

Pens

Leafs

Hawks

Ottawa

Rangers

I just wish the Flyers would have made it so ALL the teams I hate were in the playoffs

The lightning will take the Leafs place. That's my hope. I wanted it to the be Islanders but they decided they wanted a longer summer break and stopped playing a week ago.

Carolina could take the Bruins spot in a perfect world.

Patrik Elias announces his retirement ...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/devils-forward-patrik-elias-retires-1.4049603

I thought he retired a few years back, but maybe that is because he hasn't played this season.

I just took a look at the standings.

This playoff seeding format really stinks, especially in the East.

The lightning will take the Leafs place. That's my hope. I wanted it to the be Islanders but they decided they wanted a longer summer break and stopped playing a week ago.

Carolina could take the Bruins spot in a perfect world.

That's not happening. Toronto is winning all of their big games, and it's our own fault that our games with them are not considered big for them. In fact, with the way they're going, Toronto might end up with home ice facing a very weak Ottawa team. 

What could have been...

“I think this year is going to be a crazy one for trades. I really do,” predicted NHL Insider Elliotte Friedman during a Leafs-centric Friday morning discussion on Toronto’s TSN 1050, which shifted to potential blueline targets for the team. “One thing that teams say is that the names you’re going to potentially hear this off-season are going to be incredible. So I am going to hold them to that.

Friedman explores Leafs’ potential mindset moving forward

“If you look at free agency, your biggest unrestricted free agent names are Shattenkirk and Alzner and guys like that who are good players. But again, if you’re talking about paying Matthews, Marner, and Nylander in three years, I don’t know if you’re going to be able to get a defenseman with term who’s going to take – what’s the number going to be, 5.5, 6, 7, 7.5? I don’t think Toronto is going to be able to do that. Unless they look at it like, ‘We’ll do it now and we’ll deal with it later.’ But it’s hard to do that in a cap world.

“So I’m very curious when this season is over what kind of names we start hearing out there. And the teams that either don’t make the playoffs or get knocked out earlier than they hoped, what kind of changes are they going to be talking about.

“Because I do think it’s going to be a wild trade market after this season.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/friedman-predicts-wild-trade-market-season/

Edited by WildCard

Connor McDavid passed Sidney's points-per-game pace last night. If Edmonton can gain a point on Anaheim before the end of the season, and all else in the west stays the same, we will have my ideal playoff matchups: Chicago-Nashville, Edmonton-Calgary, San Jose-Anaheim, and Minnesota-St. Louis. As of right now, we have Edmonton- San Jose, Chicago- Nashville, Anaheim-Calgary, Minnesota-St. Louis.

The eastern conference matchups aren't very interesting to me in the first round, it's looking like.

Oh, and check out this McDavid goal:

Edited by Randall Flagg

Connor McDavid passed Sidney's points-per-game pace last night. If Edmonton can gain a point on Anaheim before the end of the season, and all else in the west stays the same, we will have my ideal playoff matchups: Chicago-Nashville, Edmonton-Calgary, San Jose-Anaheim, and Minnesota-St. Louis. As of right now, we have Edmonton- San Jose, Chicago- Nashville, Anaheim-Calgary, Minnesota-St. Louis.

The eastern conference matchups aren't very interesting to me in the first round, it's looking like.

Oh, and check out this McDavid goal:

That would be fun.

Currently, in the East, out of the 8 teams in playoff spots you would have the #2 and #3 teams by points (PIT/CBJ) playing eachother in the first round.   That's idiotic.   That means 1 of the top 4 teams in the entire NHL will be out in the first round.   Just dumb.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.