Around the NHL 2016-2017

spndnchz

The rookie class this year is just insane. My preseason pick for the Calder, Sebastian Aho, has 23 goals and should finish with 50 points...and isn't even in my top 7 rookies this year. Matthews, Laine, Marner, Werenski, Nylander, Tkachuk, Matt Murray, Aho. In my time as a fan there hasn't been a rookie class like this. 

Separately, the Oilers clinched a playoff spot last night. That should be good news for us. Their defense was as bad as ever last year, and they made one move, and here they are.

Edited by Randall Flagg

The rookie class this year is just insane. My preseason pick for the Calder, Sebastian Aho, has 23 goals and should finish with 50 points...and isn't even in my top 7 rookies this year. Matthews, Laine, Marner, Werenski, Nylander, Tkachuk, Matt Murray, Aho. In my time as a fan there hasn't been a rookie class like this.

Separately, the Oilers clinched a playoff spot last night. That should be good news for us. Their defense was as bad as ever last year, and they made one move, and here they are.

The "one move" you're referring to is Klefbom being healthy all year, right? :p

Risto is better than Klefbom, who had many defensive issues until Larsson was brought in.

We need our Larsson, without having a Taylor Hall to get him

Would you rather go with a high end shot suppressor, freeing up Risto to be our puck mover, or get a Fowler-type? Obviously the ideal is both, but that's probably not happening unfortunately. I see some logic in getting a Brodin type, but who do you pair with him to free up Risto? Don't think that guy is on our roster either.

Would you rather go with a high end shot suppressor, freeing up Risto to be our puck mover, or get a Fowler-type? Obviously the ideal is both, but that's probably not happening unfortunately. I see some logic in getting a Brodin type, but who do you pair with him to free up Risto? Don't think that guy is on our roster either.

I would like to time travel and complete the trade for Fowler last summer so that we can go after a shot suppressor this summer.

For those in the Babcock camp..

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/chris-chelios-blasts-mike-babcock-free-agents-veteran-detroit-red-wings-toronto-maple-leafs/

Read the article, not just the long URL.  It has refernces to Roenick, Zetterberg, as well.

Interesting

For the lazy: Chelios hates Babcock, Roenick called the Chelios - Baabcock feud while it was happening, and Zetterberg seemed pretty happy with Babcock leaving. Chelios says that Toronto will have a difficult time getting vet UFAs because none of them will want to play with Babcock, because he's so tough on accountability; if you're bad you don't play. Says it's great for the young kids to learn, but it wears on the vets

Interesting

For the lazy: Chelios hates Babcock, Roenick called the Chelios - Baabcock feud while it was happening, and Zetterberg seemed pretty happy with Babcock leaving. Chelios says that Toronto will have a difficult time getting vet UFAs because none of them will want to play with Babcock, because he's so tough on accountability; if you're bad you don't play. Says it's great for the young kids to learn, but it wears on the vets

Wow, a bunch of dudes don't like a coach when he starts reducing their ice time because they're past their prime. Weird. I'd rather have Babcock than washed up Chelios, Roenick and Zetterberg. 

Wow, a bunch of dudes don't like a coach when he starts reducing their ice time because they're past their prime. Weird. I'd rather have Babcock than washed up Chelios, Roenick and Zetterberg.

Love Chelios' complaint too; the dude was freaking 47 :lol:

But, would you want to go play for Babcock if you were a UFA?  I think that's the point.

Also Zetterberg led the Red Wings in points in 2014-2015.  Washed up?  He had 66 points.

He had 48 points in 2012-2013 (2nd on team) and 48 points in 2013-2014 (4th on team)

Sounds like Babcock would've sat Samson too.

Sounds like Babcock would've sat Samson too.

The next game

FWIW, i'm pretty much done with wanting this team to foray into the UFA market. So I don't really care if Milan Lucic our Loui Eriksson don't want to come here for 6 years at 6 mil per.

We should be done with any major FA additions for a long time. Any defenseman we get will likely be a grown prospect or a trade

But, would you want to go play for Babcock if you were a UFA?  I think that's the point.

Also Zetterberg led the Red Wings in points in 2014-2015.  Washed up?  He had 66 points.

He had 48 points in 2012-2013 (2nd on team) and 48 points in 2013-2014 (4th on team)

I'm not too worried about Toronto attracting UFA's if Babcock wants them on his team. 

And what is Zetterberg complaining about then? Sounds like he was getting plenty of ice time.

Maybe if we had Babcock here, Moulson would have spent his whole season on the 4th line where he belongs. 

With Edmonton making the playoffs, breaking a 10 season drought, only the Hurricanes (7) have a longer drought in the league than us (5)

Are the Pegula's really about to own the two longest playoff droughts in both leagues? Cause the Canes are breaking theirs next season

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.