What is the consensus on these players?

dudacek

The team looks mostly set

Is this the forum consensus going into this year?

(Not my take, but my take on your takes)

Eichel: ready to put up first line numbers

O'Reilly: more of the same

Okposo: good first line winger

Reinhart: should stay at wing, improve numbers

Kane: douche and trade bait, but not for pennies on the dollar

Ennis: could surprise, but don't count on him, an accident waiting happen

Girgensons: he'll score more, but may not be a top six guy

Gionta: OK 3rd liner, good fourth

Foligno: see Gionta

Larsson: see Foligno

Moulson: done

Deslauriers: good guy for his role

COR: hope he's in the minors

Ristolainen: first pair, ready to emerge as a legit #1

Kulikov: upgrade on Gorges, not good enough to play on the first pair

Bogosian: overpaid, adequate 2nd pair guy

Gorges: can't wait until he's on the third pair

McCabe: raw, but has a good future

Franson: don't want him around

Nelson: please beat out Franson

Lehner: big question mark

Nilsson: terrified that he might have to start

Ullmark: OK with him in Rochester, but really want him to become our number one

The goaltending situation makes me worried we might  be in the running for number one overall next year 

WHAT

?? I just spit out coffee reading this one..  You think we might be drafting #1 overall cause of our goaltending situation... That's a knee slapper...  Tis team is better than that even if we didn't play a goalie

WHAT

?? I just spit out coffee reading this one..  You think we might be drafting #1 overall cause of our goaltending situation... That's a knee slapper...  Tis team is better than that even if we didn't play a goalie

That's a bold strategy, Cotton. We'll see if it pays off.

We should be bubble team.... Stay healthy and we make it in..... Major injury (eichel, Samson, risto) and we could be top 10 in draft picks....

This is predicated on the rooks and newbies not stepping in well (bailey, Nylander, Fasching) could all possibly come in and surprise a little.

I agree that these generally reflect the consensus around here, although I might add a few tweaks:

Kulikov -- expected to be Risto's partner (and thus top-pairing); this feels like it's above his natural station.  Regret in some quarters about giving up on Pysyk.

Lehner -- yes, a question mark, but most love the fire and are looking forward to seeing him play a full season without starting off hampered by injury. 

That's all I've got.

Pretty good list overall, but my differences would be:

Not writing Kane off completely

I think Larsson, Gionta, and even Foligno are pretty good 3rd line guys, and as a 4th line would be great, not good

In my estimation, Kulikov can manage a first pairing placement

I sometimes think the consensus opinion has an issue with selective memory.

Item #1 Defense hasn't improved over last season

Fact...... The 6 Dmen to start the year was Risto-Gorges-Franson-Pysyk-Weber and Colaiacovo, plus believe it or not the oh so awesome Pysyk was getting the least amount of TOI, if I'm not mistaken...... Yes Bogosian was injured

Projected Dmen to start next season.... Risto-Kulikov-Bogosian-McCabe-Gorges-Franson/Nelson

A gigantic improvement in my opinion in skill-speed and the young guys have some experience to boot,a Major Upgrade

Item #2 Kane can't play with Eichel

Fact..... when these 2 were paired together to start the year, Eichel was a peached fuzz rookie and Kane was coming off an injury, when paired later in the year with Samson, this line clicked big time and Kane came to their defense often enough to protect them, personal opinion is the Jack-Samson line needs a little physicality as their 3rd linemate and if it isn't Kane, it won't be Ennis

I agree that these generally reflect the consensus around here, although I might add a few tweaks:

Kulikov -- expected to be Risto's partner (and thus top-pairing); this feels like it's above his natural station. Regret in some quarters about giving up on Pysyk.

Lehner -- yes, a question mark, but most love the fire and are looking forward to seeing him play a full season without starting off hampered by injury.

That's all I've got.

If Lehner can play a full season, he is easily a top 5 goaltender. I hope he does.

When we acquired Lehner, I was excited.

In my mind, he, Gibson, Allen and Vasilevsky were the best goalie prospects in the league.

His play last year did nothing to change my mind.

But I understand now that the majority of the board did not consider him a prospect, just a guy who had failed to grab the number one spot in Ottawa.

When we acquired Lehner, I was excited.

In my mind, he, Gibson, Allen and Vasilevsky were the best goalie prospects in the league.

His play last year did nothing to change my mind.

But I understand now that the majority of the board did not consider him a prospect, just a guy who had failed to grab the number one spot in Ottawa.

I feel like I have turned around on Lehner. I hated the trade but after seeing him play I think he has the potential and skill to be the #1. I think his concussion was the reason he got the high ankle sprain, he simply wasn't in good enough shape. I will give him another season before I worry.

My biggest complaint,if you will, with your list is saying Moulson is done. He isn't done. He may be done as a top 6 player, but with the right center (Larsson?) with decent passing skills, i think he can be a very effective 3rd line LW and 2nd line PP player. If we got 15 goals and 20 assists from a 3rd line winger, I think we'd all consider that a success.

I'm also not real worried about the goaltending. Lehner was very effective with a 80% ankle last season when he played. The ankle is now 100%. This bodes very well for the season. If he does get injured again, Ullmark, not Nilsson is the answer and Ullmark played well in Buffalo last year. I'm not worried about Ullmark's Roch numbers as he was playing behind a horrible D group.

My biggest concern is a potential D pairing of Gorges and Franson and like you I'm praying Nelson makes the team.

My biggest complaint,if you will, with your list is saying Moulson is done. He isn't done. He may be done as a top 6 player, but with the right center (Larsson?) with decent passing skills, i think he can be a very effective 3rd line LW and 2nd line PP player. If we got 15 goals and 20 assists from a 3rd line winger, I think we'd all consider that a success.

I'm also not real worried about the goaltending. Lehner was very effective with a 80% ankle last season when he played. The ankle is now 100%. This bodes very well for the season. If he does get injured again, Ullmark, not Nilsson is the answer and Ullmark played well in Buffalo last year. I'm not worried about Ullmark's Roch numbers as he was playing behind a horrible D group.

My biggest concern is a potential D pairing of Gorges and Franson and like you I'm praying Nelson makes the team.

What did Moulson show you last year to make you think he's not done?

Bylsma's usage and Murray's comments point to them thinking he's done.

And if he's not a top-6 scorer, then he's finished. He doesn't play a lick of defense or bring anything to the table you'd want out of somebody farther down the lineup.

I have 3 things:

I think Larsson will have a career year, looking to break the bank in free agency next year.

I think Gorges will play 3rd line minutes and mentor Nelson this year.

I think the best place for Girgensons is 4th line center, 1st PK, and can slide up as needed for injury or whatever.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.