RD 1, Pick 8: Alex Nylander LW/RW

Hoss

The response is muted more in comparison to Murray's wheelings and dealings last year than the second picks. The expectation was phase two, to get better now, but it didn't happen.

As for highlights, I take them with a grain of salt. He won't be making many of those moves on NHL defensemen and goalies.

Season starts tomorrow?  :rolleyes:

Have plenty of time to make additions. Free agency hasn't started yet. Murray has all summer to make a trade(s). 

And Murray may have landed Vesey. We will see. 

The response is muted more in comparison to Murray's wheelings and dealings last year than the second picks. The expectation was phase two, to get better now, but it didn't happen.

As for highlights, I take them with a grain of salt. He won't be making many of those moves on NHL defensemen and goalies.

Grumps.

FA hasn't happened yet. We haven't had a chance to sign Vesey yet. We bad a modest upgrade from Pysyk to Kulilov (I think). None of the D trade options have been snatched away.

How can you complain about TM not making the team better now yet? In two weeks, sure.

As for Nylander, you're right that his competition will get better, but so will he. What I was impressed by is that the puck moves independently from his feet. So many of his moves were tricksy cerebral dekes, not pure hands or speed. It's a pretty safe bet that he's going to make some NHL Dmen and goalies look stupid. Whether it will be scoring 15 a year or 35 remains to be seen.

Stuff like this is said every year about the high skilled forwards in the draft, and almost all of them do in fact end making those moves in the NHL.

I think the proper way to look at this is that if he could not make those moves at his current level then he would be highly unlikely to make them at the next level. What he can do today is a good predictor of what he will do tomorrow.

I think the proper way to look at this is that if he could not make those moves at his current level then he would be highly unlikely to make them at the next level. What he can do today is a good predictor of what he will do tomorrow.

Yes.  The fact that he can make those moves makes me feel better than if he was the biggest, fastest, most athletic guy in the world but could only shoot the puck directly into the goalie's chest when he finally got an opportunity.  

Another way to look at it is this is their instinctive way of playing. That instinct doesn't go away and they adapt.

Grumps.

FA hasn't happened yet. We haven't had a chance to sign Vesey yet. We bad a modest upgrade from Pysyk to Kulilov (I think). None of the D trade options have been snatched away.

How can you complain about TM not making the team better now yet? In two weeks, sure.

As for Nylander, you're right that his competition will get better, but so will he. What I was impressed by is that the puck moves independently from his feet. So many of his moves were tricksy cerebral dekes, not pure hands or speed. It's a pretty safe bet that he's going to make some NHL Dmen and goalies look stupid. Whether it will be scoring 15 a year or 35 remains to be seen.

Not complaining. Just pointing out why there's less excitement this year vs. last. "It" didn't happen... yesterday.

Not complaining. Just pointing out why there's less excitement this year vs. last. "It" didn't happen... yesterday.

You know most GM's didn't make a significant move yesterday.

They all suck. Guess they should be thrown under a bus. *sarcasm

Some quick thoughts on the pick:

4. The response to the pick seems really muted.  Maybe the Reinhart and Eichel picks spoiled us.  Pre-2014, I feel like a 1st round pick like this would have had this board in a frenzy.   In the bad old days, Grigorenko at 12 had us excited.  :sick:

We've drafted top three four times.

Take away those picks and we have made two first-round picks with Nylander's skill level: Rico and Housley.

You're right. We've been spoiled the past few years and we should be more excited.

Yesterday only had WGR as a draft outlet since i was away from the TV and Craig Rivet embarrassed himself after this pick. He was so thouroughly convinced that the Sabres would take one of the big 3 D that he had no concept of Nylander. He didn't even know who the kid was, hadn't done a lick of research on him and continued to be baffled by the pick for the next couple hours. What an idiot, this is who WGR puts on their draft coverage? Collier is the only one with half a brain.

Yesterday only had WGR as a draft outlet since i was away from the TV and Craig Rivet embarrassed himself after this pick. He was so thouroughly convinced that the Sabres would take one of the big 3 D that he had no concept of Nylander. He didn't even know who the kid was, hadn't done a lick of research on him and continued to be baffled by the pick for the next couple hours. What an idiot, this is who WGR puts on their draft coverage? Collier is the only one with half a brain.

That falls on Rivet not the station.

That falls on Rivet not the station.

Somebody has to hire these people, too. That and make the decision that they're worth using on draft night.

Preparation falls on the employee.

I think Rivet works for the Sabres, anyway.

OK, so it was Rivet, not Peters. Not being a draftnik or anything, I got the impression from his immediate reaction that the pick was totally out of left field or something.

OK, so it was Rivet, not Peters. Not being a draftnik or anything, I got the impression from his immediate reaction that the pick was totally out of left field or something.

Yeah, it was just bizarre listening to a guy covering the draft not knowing who he was covering lol

I saw an Alex Nylander Steelheads jersey while at the draft today so that was cool.

Nice

FWIW i get better analysis and stats most of the time from SS than anywhere else so cheers fellas ????

Somebody has to hire these people, too. That and make the decision that they're worth using on draft night.

Yeah listening to him for the last few weeks always made me cringe and looking for more. He has good insight, it's just really limited insight.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.