Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

Tim Murray disagrees and cites a complete lack of evidence to make such a claim. He challenges you to come up with a factual argument to back up this claim.

Ah hah!

You are a Sabres employee! ????

Edited by dudacek

Tim Murray disagrees and cites a complete lack of evidence to make such a claim. He challenges you to come up with a factual argument to back up this claim.

Babcock, Stamkos ... judge snell a ruling??

Babcock, Stamkos ... judge snell a ruling??

Tough going head with you but hey

Free agency is literally the most valuable commodity for any professional athlete.  To suggest that he just give that away to do the Sabres a favor is ludicrous.  We're talking about the guy's livelihood here - let him get all the offers and make the best choice for him and his family.  I'd do that, and you would too I imagine.  Waiting for free agency isn't him slapping you or your team in the face, I promise.

You do understand that he is getting the same contract regardless so this isn't about money. It's about where he wants to play. So if he is waiting til August it's because there are other places he might prefer. Simple as that.

You do understand that he is getting the same contract regardless so this isn't about money. It's about where he wants to play. So if he is waiting til August it's because there are other places he might prefer. Simple as that.

Maybe he's not preferring other places. He may simply want to talk to other teams before he makes a decision. Right now he's unable to do that. Am I happy about that? Certainly not. He'll be meeting w/ the Sabres very soon. That could push him over the edge and lead to a signing prior to August 15th. We all know money is not the issue. 

Edited by GoPre

Maybe he's not preferring other places. He may simply want to talk to other teams before he makes a decision. Right now he's unable to do that. Am I happy about that? Certainly not. He'll be meeting w/ the Sabres very soon. That could push him over the edge and lead to a signing prior to August 15th. We all know money is not the issue.

Either way if he is "preferring" Buffalo then there would be no reason to wait is the point I'm making. He is not waiting for the best contract which is what drives most free agency moves.

Either way if he is "preferring" Buffalo then there would be no reason to wait is the point I'm making. He is not waiting for the best contract which is what drives most free agency moves.

He hasn't had a chance to talk with any teams except for Nashville and Buffalo at this point though. Being on an ELC ensures that basically every single team in the NHL could/would be interested. He could sign a 2 year deal with Chicago or Pittsburgh and have a chance to play with Toews, Kane, Crosby, or Malkin and go from not playing a minute in the NHL at 23 to having 2 cups by the time he hits 26 years of age. It's not about money since it'll be the same everywhere but he could make his decision based on location, possible teammates, the coaching system, or anything else. Just because the Sabres traded for his rights doesn't mean he owes them a damn thing.

Were you ever recruited by colleges to play a sport? At the beginning you're going to have your preference. But after speaking w/ each program and going through the recruitment process, you can have a strong change in preference. Picture Vesey wanting the same thing. He may have Buffalo as his preference, but he might just want to be sure it's truly the place he wants to be. This is something you'll rarely ever see at the professional level. A number of teams want Vesey. It's his choice. After meeting w/ the teams he has on his short list he'll make a decision. Not hard to comprehend. 

Edited by GoPre

Were you ever recruited by colleges to play a sport? At the beginning you're going to have your preference. But after speaking w/ each program and going through the recruitment process, you can have a strong change in preference. Picture Vesey wanting the same thing. He may have Buffalo as his preference, but he might just want to be sure it's truly the place he wants to be. This is something you'll rarely ever see at the professional level. A number of teams want Vesey. It's his choice. After meeting w/ the teams he has on his short list he'll make a decision. Not hard to comprehend.

Hi maintenance biatch Edited by North Buffalo

Suggesting because the contract is slotted means that it makes no difference what team this guy plays his first two NHL seasons for is pretty silly.

He isn't allowed to speak with other teams yet.  That means he can't ask questions like:

What sort of role might I expect on your team?

What sort of player does your organization envision me to be?

What type of system does your team plan to employ?

What players might I suit up alongside?

What sort of systems/approaches does your organization use to help young players reach their potential and improve?

What sort of strength and conditioning programs does your organization use?

Does your organization have Taco Tuesday, or is it on some other day?

As someone mentioned above, this is not a financial negotiation but rather a recruitment.  Vesey would be doing his career a great disservice by NOT exploring all options, as the first two years of his professional career may well equate to tens of millions of dollars in the future.

I hope he signs with Buffalo.  I hope it happens today.  But I'm not going to get butthurt if he chooses to make a critical life decision with as much information as possible.

Suggesting because the contract is slotted means that it makes no difference what team this guy plays his first two NHL seasons for is pretty silly.

He isn't allowed to speak with other teams yet.  That means he can't ask questions like:

What sort of systems/approaches does your organization use to help young players reach their potential and improve?

As someone mentioned above, this is not a financial negotiation but rather a recruitment.  Vesey would be doing his career a great disservice by NOT exploring all options, as the first two years of his professional career may well equate to tens of millions of dollars in the future.

I hope he signs with Buffalo.  I hope it happens today.  But I'm not going to get butthurt if he chooses to make a critical life decision with as much information as possible.

+1

What sort of role might I expect on your team? Top-six left wing

What sort of player does your organization envision me to be? Scoring winger

What type of system does your team plan to employ? Playstation > XBox

What players might I suit up alongside? Jack Eichel

What sort of systems/approaches does your organization use to help young players reach their potential and improve? Our cute young blonde players drink lots of milk at the rink

What sort of strength and conditioning programs does your organization use? See above

Does your organization have Taco Tuesday, or is it on some other day? WHAT THE ###### DID YOU SAY ABOUT BLACK SUNDAY!? Oh, Taco Tuesday? Yea, Lloyd is pretty jumpin.

I put in the Sabres answers to the questions above.

Edited by Hoss

If this drags on to 8/15, he's a goner.    Something needs to get done in the next 7 days or whatever GMTM presented just isn't good enough for him... which means he's a spoiled little Harvard brat who thinks he's better than every one else.  

You think you're better than me!?  MANDLEBAUM! MANDLEBAUM!  MANDLEBAUM!

+1

Make it a + 2  :thumbsup:

I disagree.   He a rooke FA out of college with no pro experience.    He's acting like he has a right to play in the NHL.    Players need to earn their right to be a UFA after years of service in the league.    If waits until 8/15, he's acting like he's already reached that point in his career, and it reflects poorly on his character, and he'll be viewed poorly in the locker room by guys who have had to actually earn their spot on the team.

Edited by pi2000

I disagree.   He a rooke FA out of college with no pro experience.    He's acting like he has a right to play in the NHL.    Players need to earn their right to be a UFA after years of service in the league.    If waits until 8/15, he's acting like he's already reached that point in his career, and it reflects poorly on his character, and he'll be viewed poorly in the locker room by guys who have had to actually earn their spot on the team.

This is just bull crap on your part. Actually your entire post is just awful. The CBA is negotiated between the NHLPA and the NHL and that is allowable within the CBA for a college player who goes unsigned as a senior to go to UFA. No one is going to give a flying f##k in that locker room if the guy waits to see who he could play for. He owes Buffalo absolutely nothing. It reflects nothing on his character. He isn't ready to sign with Buffalo. He may want to see all the teams he could sign with. If I knew in 45 days I could have potentially 10 job offers to chose from I would most assuredly wait til then as opposed to signing with my current employer. He won't be viewed poorly by anyone with half a brain in that locker room. Hockey is a business and the players all know that. 

Yea he hasn't earned his spot on the team. He also isn't acting like he has. He is being calculated about where he wants to play. I don't understand anyone with your take to be honest. It is arrogant IMPO to say to someone else that they have to do something because they owe you that. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Are you saying he hasn't earned his spot on a team? There's a decent amount of demand for the guy, and it's because he earned it. Vesey was told by Nashville he'd be in the top 6 during the playoffs. He won't be viewed poorly for not "earning" a spot on a team. What a joke. 

Edited by GoPre

This is nonsense. He has a right to play in the NHL because there are NHL teams who will be jumping over each other at the chance to sign him. Whether he turns out to be good or he busts has yet to be seen but he's earned his right to do exactly what he's doing by playing well enough at Harvard to have NHL teams lining up to talk with him. The NHLPA negotiated these terms with the league and put them in the CBA. As stated previously, he doesn't owe Buffalo anything at this point and Tim Murray knows this. If Murray took the same approach that you and others seem to be taking with him than he walk right out the door and sign with someone else. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.