Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

Why not?

Because he needs vesey to agree to sign a deal, duh

They hold his rights and can sign him to an extension at any time. The rest of the league can't sign him til mid August

I thought the rule was, he has to sign by july 1st , or he is a free agent come august 15.

I thought he just couldn't sign with (well speak to) another team until August, didn't know if there is anything with him tied to July 1st

I thought the rule was, he has to sign by july 1st , or he is a free agent come august 15.

He can be signed by the Sabres on or after July 1st. On August 15th he'll become a free agent if Murray is unable to sign him. 

Edited by GoPre

Vesey can't be signed until the new league year starts on July 1st. This was always the case once he made it through the trade deadline without signing. Since we traded for his rights though we are the only ones allowed to speak with him.

Edited by Drunkard

Vesey can't be signed until the new league year starts on July 1st. This was always the case once he made it through the trade deadline without signing. Since we traded for his rights though we are the only ones allowed to speak with him.

I'm still not 100 % sure this is true. And yes, I know GMTM said it but Nashville was prepared to sign him in March and use him in playoffs and other college free agents signed after the season.

Edited by tom webster

I'm still not 100 % sure this is true. And yes, I know GMTM said it but Arizona was prepared to sign him in March and use him in playoffs and other college free agents signed after the season.

Were the other college free agents undrafted players though? I think the ones who went undrafted can be signed because no one owns their rights.

Why not?

Awesome.

I'm still not 100 % sure this is true. And yes, I know GMTM said it but Arizona was prepared to sign him in March and use him in playoffs and other college free agents signed after the season.

Taro explained it beautifully. Unsigned players can only be signed UP UNTIL June 1. Then teams have to wait for any signings until the new league year, July 1. So Arizona COULD have signed him had they acquired him in March. Once June 1 came, whoever had his rights had to wait.

Edited by Thorny

Awesome.

Taro explained it beautifully. Unsigned players can only be signed UP UNTIL June 1. Then teams have to wait for any signings until the new league year, July 1. So Arizona COULD have signed him had they acquired him in March. Once June 1 came, whoever had his rights had to wait.

Arizona or Nashville?

I believe he was drafted by Nashville, Arizona couldn't sign him in the spring, I'm assuming a mistake by Tom

Oh I thought he was mentioning Arizona, as if they were to acquire him. But that wouldn't have made sense as they weren't headed for the playoffs. Looks like Tom corrected it, though.

But anyways, Nashville could have signed him in March, just as we could of, had we traded for his rights at that point. But whoever has his rights, at this point has a period they can't sign him, between June 1 and July 1. Due to league rules.

And this ineligible to sign period would have applied even to Nashville at his point, if they still had him.

Edited by Thorny

Ryan Geary ended his show on GR this AM by mentioning there are some rumblings about an announcement coming regarding Vesey in the near future. Possibly he has agreed to a ELC with the Sabres to be signed in time for Development Camp?

He can't be signed until July 1st.

Why not?

Why not?

A verbal agreement could be announced before July 1st. 

Of course his agent could be saying they are waiting until August 15th. No ifs, ands or buts about it. 

Edited by GoPre

Because he needs vesey to agree to sign a deal, duh

They hold his rights and can sign him to an extension at any time. The rest of the league can't sign him til mid August

I thought he just couldn't sign with (well speak to) another team until August, didn't know if there is anything with him tied to July 1st

I thought Terry Pegula can't own an NFL and NHL team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.