Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

Peter Donatelli, one of Vesey's agents, says a decision is not likely going to happen today, but should be done this weekend at some point.

https://twitter.com/BrianHedger/status/766687272016154625

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow

You're only a day away

Well shlte, what am I going to do with my free time at work the rest of the day???

This is just not necessary. Holy crap Jimmy. We're all waiting.

Kid is making one of the biggest decisions he'll ever make in life. Do you really begrudge him taking an extra day to make sure he's making the right one?

This makes me wonder if he didn't hear what he wanted to hear from ANYBODY.

Or he heard it from everybody.

This kid is soo ###### annoying and he hasn't even hit NHL ice yet. I don't give a poop where he ends up and don't understand all the hype either. Drew Stafford 2.0

Don't blame the kid for the media coverage.

This makes me wonder if he didn't hear what he wanted to hear from ANYBODY.

This makes me wonder if, after telling his agent he wanted to explore free agency, his agent is actually leading him through exactly that.  "Since you said you wanted to go through this process, Jimmy, we're going to go through the entire process.  You've made your visits, you've gathered your data.  Now let's sit down and build a big spreadsheet that will compare all the pros and cons of each team.  Then once you can see a fair comparison you can add in the intangibles and make your decision."

This could take a working day.... or two or three.... depending on the amount of data they've put together.

It doesn't mean he's unhappy with all the teams.  It doesn't imply drama.  It's a career decision and there is no reason to rush it, so Vesey's agent is leading Vesey through the due diligence to make a decision.

If you see drama, or are projecting anything about Vesey's personality from this, it's all in your own head.

This makes me wonder if, after telling his agent he wanted to explore free agency, his agent is actually leading him through exactly that.  "Since you said you wanted to go through this process, Jimmy, we're going to go through the entire process.  You've made your visits, you've gathered your data.  Now let's sit down and build a big spreadsheet that will compare all the pros and cons of each team.  Then once you can see a fair comparison you can add in the intangibles and make your decision."

This could take a working day.... or two or three.... depending on the amount of data they've put together.

It doesn't mean he's unhappy with all the teams.  It doesn't imply drama.  It's a career decision and there is no reason to rush it, so Vesey's agent is leading Vesey through the due diligence to make a decision.

If you see drama, or are projecting anything about Vesey's personality from this, it's all in your own head.

Very well said.

Kid is making one of the biggest decisions he'll ever make in life. Do you really begrudge him taking an extra day to make sure he's making the right one?

Didn't his agent pretty much originally say the decision was coming today? Now backtracking. I'm get it, but let's not pretend lots of this firestorm couldn't have been prevented by the actual parties involved.

Didn't his agent pretty much originally say the decision was coming today? Now backtracking. I'm get it, but let's not pretend lots of this firestorm couldn't have been prevented by the actual parties involved.

I remember some general stuff about wanting the decision shortly after the visits and not to drag things out..but I don't recall any firm statement of Friday being the day. Then again, so many conflicting reports have been out there, I could just not be remembering properly.

Such as not saying we'd decide by Friday at all.  Be nebulous from the start and nobody is expecting something today.

Yup. Why say "decision is likely coming Friday", at all. I believe this is what was said, but I could be wrong. They set themselves up for the frustration. If they never said that, then sure. But there were substantial reports from the likes of McKenzie.

McKenzie tweet for example was:

"Jimmy Vesey's decision likely to come today. Outside chance it drifts to tomorrow but it's more likely #VeseyWatch ends today."

Now, that isn't a guaranteed statement, and he may have just been staring his own opinion. But it seems likely he would have info from inside sources should they exist at all in this case.

I believe there were other quotes, though, attributed to the agent saying decision today was likely. But who knows on the validity, I suppose.

Edit - and again, not a crime to change one's mind. But I DO think SOME of this could have been avoided. It's been a perfect storm, some of which I believe can be attributed to the parties involved, but of course the lion's share is media driven.

Edited by Thorny

Oh for Christ's Sake did he just start contemplating on Tuesday at 12:01?  

No. But he's recently received a butt load of new information to consider.

The fact that he's taking his time isn't a surprise, nor is it concerning.

But people will see what they want to see. I'm a firm believer in that. In life, generally. 

What kid?

Yeah. The kid's just being deliberative. No shame in that.

If there's someone or something to blame or curse, it's really just the fact that we are hockey news junkies and it's mid-August.

And you too. Stop.

I wonder if basically every team told him he'd get I shot at 2nd line and minutes but he has to earn them to keep them.

That's unspoken and understood. No offer is going to include a guaranteed spot and minutes. Not unless you want to lose your head coach in the process.

I know. I know. We're threatening to dispel the storm clouds.

As I said,

I was quibbling with the "kid" moniker. He's a man. (Insert World War II reference here.)

75!

Not sure about this, but on some boards users can set the number of posts per page. I'd rather use number of replies. We're closing in on 3K.

This thread is awesome because it shows just how bi-polar fans are.

"Jimmy Vesey is awesome! GMTM is so smart for trading for his rights"

"Should I slot him in my mock lineups on the first line or put him on line 2 with Eichel?"

"Ugh, he hasn't signed yet, GMTM is a moron for wasting that pick"

"We missed out drafting Gord Wilson (or some other Canadian type name) with that pick, I bet he's gonna be a stud"

"We're still in the hunt according to whatever twitter handle. I love Jimmy Vesey"

"He bought a condo in NYC. that guy!"

"Decision is likely on Friday. WTF is this guy waiting for"

"Decision may not come until the weekend. F this guy. Who does this prima donna think he is?!"

"Some non-Buffalo team reportedly has the inside track. Eh, Vesey sucks anyway. He'll never live up to the hype. He's a locker room cancer!"

"Previous report was wrong, everyone is still in. Come on Vesey, we love you!"

In reality no of course not. But I've got as nmuch riding on this decision as he does and I'm ready move in one direction or the other.

This thread is awesome because it shows just how bi-polar fans are.

"Jimmy Vesey is awesome! GMTM is so smart for trading for his rights"

"Should I slot him in my mock lineups on the first line or put him on line 2 with Eichel?"

Come on Vesey, we love you!"

Everything is awesome!

I would put him on the line with Eichel if I were you. It's what I have done as part of the guarantees.

Sorry if this has already been posted - but I thought this was an interesting read.

https://www.nhl.com/news/jimmy-vesey-nhl-path-behind-the-numbers/c-281367470?tid=278387726

Too much reading. please have Mattew Coller analyze it and read aloud what it means.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.