Around the NHL: 2016 Offseason

Hoss

Both are better than Pavs and Armia was supposed to be Laine as a rookie.

Fair enough. 

Pavelec has been by far the worst regular starter over the last five years, Hellebuyck is good. They're in a much better situation now in goal than any other season since the move to Winnipeg. 

Agree on Hellebuyck, but Hutchinson was really poor last year. You aren't correct on the bolded. Pavelec had a few decent years in Winnipeg to begin and had really good numbers in 14-15 when they made the playoffs. 

22-16-8, 2.28 GAA, .920 Sv. % and 5 shutouts, and got very hot down the stretch to guide them to the playoffs. I remember him being very good. 

He certainly didn't have a good year last year, and in general has been very streaky. 

Edited by Thorny

Look, I'd rather have Parenteau or Pulkinnen than Moulson, but there is a contract issue there.

And with Fasching, Nylander, Bailey and Baptiste there is also a development issue.

Pulkinnen not better than Ennis, Kane, Okposo and Reinhart. He is a year younger than Foligno, weaker, slower, and has 25 less NHL goals and 73 less NHL points. Yet people can't get rid of Marcus fast enough and want Pulkinnen.

I guess it's a grass is greener kind of thing.

I'm glad Timmy passed.

Look, I'd rather have Parenteau or Pulkinnen than Moulson, but there is a contract issue there.

And with Fasching, Nylander, Bailey and Baptiste there is also a development issue.

Pulkinnen not better than Ennis, Kane, Okposo and Reinhart. He is a year younger than Foligno, weaker, slower, and has 25 less NHL goals and 73 less NHL points. Yet people can't get rid of Marcus fast enough and want Pulkinnen.

I guess it's a grass is greener kind of thing.

I'm glad Timmy passed.

There is no contract issue with Moulson and I'm tired of seeing it asserted there is. We have to pay him regardless--there's no compelling reason to play him if there are superior options elsewhere. And none of those prospects you listed have exactly beaten down the door to the NHL yet...I see zero wrong with giving our team more (and potentially better) options for this season when the cost is nil. 

The cost is not nil. There is an opportunity cost tied to Moulson's contract.

Having $5 million in cap space tied up in a spare second line winger is bad.

Adding one of the above on waivers means $6 or $7 million tied up in a spare second line winger.

It would be a different story if either of those guys was a legitimate 2nd line winger, but they aren't. That's why they are on waivers.

It would be different if they were better third line options than Foligno or Gionta or Girgensons, but they're not. That's why they are on waivers.

They might be better fill-in options than our kids. Might be. But part of development is giving the prospects something to shoot for and work towards. You are counting on that group to get better and cheaply fill roles. You tell Justin Bailey to just keep working and improving and your chance will come. And when it does come, you hope they grab it. Signing Pulkinnen or Parenteau effectively tells the kids they won't be getting that chance.

It would be different if you think the waiver guys have a future in Buffalo and the kids don't.

I don't think that.

Edited by dudacek

There is no contract issue with Moulson and I'm tired of seeing it asserted there is. We have to pay him regardless--there's no compelling reason to play him if there are superior options elsewhere. And none of those prospects you listed have exactly beaten down the door to the NHL yet...I see zero wrong with giving our team more (and potentially better) options for this season when the cost is nil. 

The best reason to play him is to see if his funk is a funk or if he's really done. It seems like he knows he wasn't good last year and the management agrees. This is it for him, let's see what happens on a scoring line for a bit before writing him off.

Fair enough. 

Agree on Hellebuyck, but Hutchinson was really poor last year. You aren't correct on the bolded. Pavelec had a few decent years in Winnipeg to begin and had really good numbers in 14-15 when they made the playoffs. 

22-16-8, 2.28 GAA, .920 Sv. % and 5 shutouts, and got very hot down the stretch to guide them to the playoffs. I remember him being very good. 

He certainly didn't have a good year last year, and in general has been very streaky. 

The four years surrounding that decent one had .905 or lower save percentage. He's been the worst starter in the NHL for four of the last five years, or bottom three at least. Jets fans on the forums were partying when it happened. Hutch may have been bad last year, but he should be the backup. Bad backup situations don't have to mean bad goalie situations

The best reason to play him is to see if his funk is a funk or if he's really done. It seems like he knows he wasn't good last year and the management agrees. This is it for him, let's see what happens on a scoring line for a bit before writing him off.

This.

Adding one of the above on waivers means $6 or $7 million tied up in a spare second line winger.

It would be a different story if either of those guys was a legitimate 2nd line winger, but they aren't. That's why they are on waivers.

It would be different if they were better third line options than Foligno or Gionta or Girgensons, but they're not. That's why they are on waivers.

They might be better fill-in options than our kids. Might be. But part of development is giving the prospects something to shoot for and work towards. You are counting on that group to get better and cheaply fill roles. You tell Justin Bailey to just keep working and improving and your chance will come. And when it does come, you hope they grab it. Signing Pulkinnen or Parenteau effectively tells the kids they won't be getting that chance.

It would be different if you think the waiver guys have a future in Buffalo and the kids don't.

I don't think that.

I really like the opportunity cost angle, great post.

Isn't today cut down day?  Surprised we have not seen final roster yet

Maybe waiting on finalizing the Risto deal. Would have hated to carry extra D only to get Risto back on the team. Now that the contract is finalized, GMTM can focus on cutting the schmucks/deciding on the 13th forward.

I don't think that.

This year the additional cap hit is irrelevant. We have the space and we're not using it on anything else. If a trade magically appeared where we needed a million in space, we could just send the contract to Rochester (these guys are all cheap). I also think Moulson is more than just an expensive spare...I think he's an expensive negative. There's a difference.

I'm not not signing them to be better than our top-6 or even top-9...I'm signing them because they're a better option than Deslauriers moving up a line the second an injury happens.

I don't think the signing tells the kids they're not getting a chance, it tells them they're not guaranteed a chance. Important difference. And I do think Pulkkinen could have a chance at a future here. Better than the kids we have? Maybe, maybe not. Let's let them find out.